Ski Selection Thread

saltyant

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

What skis are you currently on? I don't know anything about either of those.

It doesn't matter. I'm on good skis for hardpack and ice. But they lose their attractiveness in slush and deeper snow, so I kinda look around. Lazily.

3 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

Yeah, but what do you ski on?

Atomic Redster SL. These rock when the surface is hard and smooth. In deeper snow they're OK, but nothing spectacular. On rough hard snow like frozen slush they act like a mad horse, I have to absorb every single bump with my legs.

58 minutes ago, saltyant said:

To answer your question in the Blue thread, I didn't buy the RTM 81s yet. I'm shopping around until I find a bargain, and if I can't find one then maybe I'll wait until the end of the season. But I think I'm spoiled now and can't go back to my entry-level Elans. I tested the RTMs in everything I could - hard pack, pure ice, sugary piles, and death cookies. I am very impressed at how much better the ski felt in those conditions.

I think I'm fine with the 81. It was harder to turn then I'm used to, but the stability is a good trade off. Anything wider I felt like I would have a hard time making turns.

If you like then don't waste the majority of a season skiing inferior skis. Maybe you can find a slightly used pair online.  

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

If you like then don't waste the majority of a season skiing inferior skis. Maybe you can find a slightly used pair online.  

I just set salty up with the best deal he will find this year. Shit or get off the pot time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Thanks Root. I assume that's a reputable dealer and then they ship them through the mail?

The Loft shop wants $899 for them and I think that's highway robbery when the same skis are available online for much, much cheaper.

Nobody buys skis and bindings from a ski shop anymore unless it's an incredible deal. Online is the way to go. You'll have to pay about $75 for skis to be mounted though.  

Nobody buys skis and bindings from a ski shop anymore unless it's an incredible deal. Online is the way to go. You'll have to pay about $75 for skis to be mounted though.  

RTMs have integrated bindings. Nothing to mount or pay extra for.

10 minutes ago, eaf said:

Atomic Redster SL. These rock when the surface is hard and smooth. In deeper snow they're OK, but nothing spectacular. On rough hard snow like frozen slush they act like a mad horse, I have to absorb every single bump with my legs.

Get some mid fats for the choppy snow...Slalom skis sound terrible for the conditions we experience the most..sugar, cookies and apple sauce.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eaf said:

RTMs have integrated bindings. Nothing to mount or pay extra for.

Trust me I wouldn't mount integrated bindings myself.  I had Atomic Jeff do mine back when I had Atomic LT11s with the Neox bindings.  Handy I'm not.  I've never been able to tie a tie and I don't have any tools. 

8 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Mashed potatoes?  It didn't get warm enough today to have any mashed potatoes around here.

Ok, maybe not quite mashed potatoes, but lots of piles of sugary snow. Honeymoon was easily the most heavily tracked hill today. There was a disproportionate amount of beginners out, and everyone seemed to be skiing Honeymoon. In comparison, Rhododendron Glen was in pristine condition all day because no one seemed to know it was open, which was great for me!

Salty is a frugal guy..I'm sure he has a war chest...not me I'm very good at spending money actually not good at spending money on ski gear just everything else. 

I’m pretty frugal too, but I love spending money on new skiing stuff.   I’m good at it too. 

6 minutes ago, eaf said:

Poor Salty. First new season pass, now this... You all like spending the guy's money  :P

Nah. I think I'd be looking at new skis even if I hadn't found this forum, but this information has been very helpful.

I realize today that I complained about bad conditions in the past mostly because my Elans aren't ideal for them. With stiffer skis it seems conditions don't matter nearly as much. If something actually provides value to me I am fine spending money on it.

Edited by saltyant

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

So this implies that even though the RTMs are integrated, they still need to be mounted?

I think they are screwed into a plate but how do you set the DINs and check pressure and what not.  A handy person like Johnny law or Atomic Jeff would be good on those not me. I know what I'm good at and I'm good at selling tombstones and making wet blankets uncomfortable when I talk about when a room smells like sperm and shame lol

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

What percentage of Camelback is open??

As someone said today, there's 17 trails open, and 100% of those trails are open.

They were complaining about the whole mountain not being open when the website says 100% open or something. I don't know. I thought the trail selection was pretty good.

Regardless, today was the best day of the season at Camelback. The Stevenson lift had no line all day long, and the Little Caesar/Julius Caesar/Near East/Rhod Glen combination was perfect for testing skis. There are some moderately steep narrow turns, and then Rhod Glen opens up really nicely and allows for wide turning.

4 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I think they are screwed into a plate but how do you set the DINs and check pressure and what not.  A handy person like Johnny law or Atomic Jeff would be good on those not me. I know what I'm good at and I'm good at selling tombstones and making wet blankets uncomfortable when I talk about when a room smells like sperm and shame lol

Yeah I definitely would take them to shop first, even if it costs extra. I don't understand how all of the DIN settings and tuning work.

• Thanks 1