Ski Selection Thread

saltyant

• 2 years later...
55 minutes ago, Mixilplix said:

Saltyant if you are looking for a new set of skis you should try out every ski that can...Not just what is in Blues shop...You can ride my Libs anytime you want...I can look to see what the BSL is...You should try those Atomics and Mantras too...

Thanks for the offer Mixilplix. After talking to Johnny of the Law, some skis I might want to sample are Nordica Enforcer, Head Kore, and Atomic Vantage.  I've also been reading about Mantras and they sound pretty rad. There are so many options... or maybe I'll buy some Castles just like @AtomicDoug

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Since I like Volkl my preference is either Kendo 88 or Mantra 96. Not sure what other Volkls would suit me...

Kendo 88s are short of Enjoralas's recommended range of 95-105.... but skis.com says "Kendo comes with crud blasting and edge grip abilities thanks to the lightweight but rigid Titanal Frame that encases the core". 

Mantra 96s are too advanced ski for my ability, a few people have said. But I might demo it anyways.

Sooo I'll probably demo these 2 and maybe Nordica Enforcer 94 and Head Kore 93 and see what the verdict is. TFTI

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1

@eaf If stiffness is the deciding factor for me here's my comparison for candidate skis (compared to RTMs).

I also might need a Master's Degree in physics to understand torsional longitudinal etc.

A few people have said Mantras are too advanced skis, and Kendos would be better, but Kendos are stiffer ...?

image.thumb.png.53fbe229ef13acb552191df9b908e116.png

Edited by saltyant

4 hours ago, saltyant said:

@eaf If stiffness is the deciding factor for me here's my comparison for candidate skis (compared to RTMs).

I also might need a Master's Degree in physics to understand torsional longitudinal etc.

A few people have said Mantras are too advanced skis, and Kendos would be better, but Kendos are stiffer ...?

image.thumb.png.53fbe229ef13acb552191df9b908e116.png

Think twisting across the length of the ski.

I wouldn't get too crazy with specs but ride them as well because it really depends where the stiffness is and how's it applied across the ski. Something that is only stiff in the tails skis alot different than something that's stiff across the entire ski. 

Your not looking for a radius or something but a ski that allows you to carry more speed with the absolute key of any ski,  confidence. 

You got your turny smooth good groomer snow ski now you need something that also pushes you when it's uneven. Your a strong bike rider so use those muscles when it most matters, when it snows and it's 3d. 

Whatever ski does that buy that ski. Especially for Whiteface. Last I saw you ski challenge from the lift you wanted more than the rtms can give you at speed. You have more leg in the ski that in can handle without being twitchy. That's what I saw for whatever thats worth. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Called all local ski shops for Elan Ripstick 96, 180/181 and nothing

Found this deal online - $750 grand total with Marker Griffon 13 bindings mounted.

https://www.aspenskiandboard.com/collections/ski-packages/products/ripstick-96-mens-ski-package?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv5mjx6ah7wIVgtrICh1A8wYeEAAYASAAEgInD_D_BwE

Any reason I shouldn't click purchase?? Would you trust an online shop to mount bindings??

Edited by saltyant

Just now, saltyant said:

Found this deal online - $750 grand total with Marker Griffon 13bindings mounted.

https://www.aspenskiandboard.com/collections/ski-packages/products/ripstick-96-mens-ski-package?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv5mjx6ah7wIVgtrICh1A8wYeEAAYASAAEgInD_D_BwE

Any reason I shouldn't click purchase?? Would you trust an online shop to mount bindings??

Yes, but you’ll want someone smarter than me or you to check and set your forward pressure with your actual boots when you get them.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Found this deal online - $750 grand total with Marker Griffon 13 bindings mounted.

May want to take a walk through the BM ski shop just to see if they have some worthwhile bindings at a decent price (w/ SP discount), then you can get them mounted, checked, etc. all in one fell swoop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I don't really trust anyone to mount my own stuff, but marker bindings are easy to set up correctly. I'd be wary to have an "online" shop mount them because in the event that something does get messed up and they don't catch it, you've then got to either send the skis back for them to fix their screw up, or get them to pay for someone else locally to fix it for you. You get a discount on shop work at Blue with your pass, and others here have had Blue's shop mount their skis this year without issue, for bindings that are much more complicated to set up than those markers. Just my two cents, your mileage may vary.

8 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I'm inclined to get the 2021's since that's what I demoed and they're stiffer

If you liked what you skied, buy what you skied. With a comparable binding (Tyrolia/Fischer Attack2 13 from Level Nine, you can argue whether it's better or worse than the Marker), you save ~$140 for last year's ski, that you haven't skied, and don't know whether you'd still like as much. $140 off a vs the price of the newer, updated in-season ski is not a good deal, in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, indiggio said:

May want to take a walk through the BM ski shop just to see if they have some worthwhile bindings at a decent price (w/ SP discount), then you can get them mounted, checked, etc. all in one fell swoop.

Thanks, might do that since Enjoralas found me the skis without bindings for $520.

The other deal online is $750 with bindings and free mount but that's $230 extra.

@Justo8484 Excellent advice, I'd rather have Blue mount the bindings for me. Thanks 

Edited by saltyant

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Thanks, might do that since Enjoralas found me the skis without bindings for $520.

The other deal online is $750 with bindings and free mount but that's $230 extra. 

Can I buying bindings and a mounting from True Blue for less than $230? Hmmm

Looks like the standard going rate for the Griffon 13 should be $160-180 which seems fair for that binding. Not sure what blue stocks, but a mount at most might be $75? So you're probably topping out right around your $230 mark, but then you're buying products and services from somewhere local, and you can talk to a real employee in person should you run into any issues. If you've ever had to deal with a botched mount, or warrantying something, having an actual person to deal with is definitely worth something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1