Ski Selection Thread

saltyant

On 3/8/2021 at 3:17 PM, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

My skis came in three days and I didn’t pay extra for faster shipping. 

This is bananas. I got free shipping since it was between $20 to $50 extra for expedited shipping of various time frames. Woulda been a complete waste of Johnny Cash.

If they actually come by Friday I'll be ripping down Challenge on them by Sunday. Maybe I'll even be first in line even after picking them up from True Blue on Sunday morning

20210310_082828.jpg.e66cb52f5e38cb12aab2bcb125fc08f6.jpg

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

That is a pleasant surprise! The more I see people posting about new gear the more I keep looking and the closer I get to pulling the trigger. What is your BSL? I want to try them (if they would work for my boots, and you let me)

307 mm. Sure, you can try them if they fit. I trust you wont take them in the woods or jump any couloirs.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, saltyant said:

This is bananas. I got free shipping since it was between $20 to $50 extra for expedited shipping of various time frames. Woulda been a complete waste of Johnny Cash.

If they actually come by Friday I'll be ripping down Challenge on them by Sunday. Maybe I'll even be first in line even after picking them up from True Blue on Sunday morning

20210310_082828.jpg.e66cb52f5e38cb12aab2bcb125fc08f6.jpg

Grate stuff!!!  Those are some hot looking skis. Toasts feet are way too big.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Grate stuff!!!  Those are some hot looking skis. Toasts feet are way too big.  

I have no idea what bindings to get. The only 2 on True Blue's website are:

- Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW '21 - $199

- Tyrolia AM 12 GW '21 - $159

I assume they have other bindings available or are these good??

Edited by saltyant

3 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I took a risk and got the first ones you listed on my current skis without knowing anything about them and they are fine.  Don’t have anything bad to say about them.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Either will be fine.  I like Look bindings better than Tyrolis but the Look bindings Blue has are like $300

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Either will be fine.  I like Look bindings better than Tyrolis but the Look bindings Blue has are like $300

Thanks. I dont see the benefit of paying extra for bindings, unless they're lighter I guess? As long as the binding does its job of not releasing randomly and releasing when it's supposed to, thereby ensuring I dont break a femur or tibia, I'll be happy with it

Edited by saltyant

16 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Thanks. I dont see the benefit of paying extra for bindings, unless they're lighter I guess? As long as the binding does its job of not releasing randomly and releasing when it's supposed to, thereby ensuring I dont break a femur or tibia, I'll be happy with it

What about your fibula? No love for that bone?

• Boner City 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, saltyant said:

not sure if the attack is lighter or not, but the toe piece has a wider footprint, which will make the ski feel a bit more responsive and be able to better pressure the edge of the ski. The AM also has a "diagonal" heel, which has always weirded me out a bit in the way it works. It's not a DIN-scale lateral release, it just allows the heel piece to rotate slightly during a lateral toe release. A Look pivot does fundamentally the same thing, but the center point of the heel rotation is in line with your tib/fib axis right under your heel. The rotation on the tyrolia heel sets a few cm behind your boot. Also, it's functionally the same binding tyrolia has been making for probably 20 years now, for whatever that's worth. The attack toe has only been around i think like 5 years or so? Attack has a 17mm stack height, AM has a 21mm stack height, so attack will have your boot sitting closer to the ski. I've heard nothing but good things re: reliability of the Attack series, and if I didn't have pivots on everything I own, I'd probably give the Attacks a try.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

Wonder if bindings are part of their 30% sale right now. If not, don’t forget your season pass discount!

Thanks. Also will try trading my old Elan Early Rise Rockers in, I read somewhere they give credit for old skis maybe?

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Thanks. Also will try trading my old Elan Early Rise Rockers in, I read somewhere they give credit for old skis maybe?

I think it’s only credit toward new skis, not just random store credit. Might get a pittance for them at Buckman’s consignment tent sale.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Maybe you can complain and get a gift card. Worth a shot

I was more annoyed that while I was on hold, twice someone asked "Thank you for calling True Blue, how may I help you?" Never had that happen before while being on hold, and I kept having to explain the situation 😒

On 3/8/2021 at 2:45 PM, enjoralas said:

That’s what I was gonna post. That $520 deal at curated.com (never shopped there but had crazy number of positive reviews) leaves you $230 for bindings and won’t have to pay for the mount. 

And flat skis ship faster, you might have them for this weekend if you buy now!

Spot on. They were $130 below MSRP on Curated.com, and came in just 3 freakin' days with free shipping. Great find and thanks a lot!!

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 3