Ski Selection Thread

saltyant

14 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I'm interested to see how much faster I ski, but doubt I'll be able to keep up with anyone on here since most PASRs ski like 80 mph

Ditch the pole planting and either straight run or make longer radius turns or ski on edge more if you wanna go faster.   I sometimes wish Blue was a little steeper and a little longer. We don’t ski 80mph at Blue although I got clocked at 64 and Atomic at 74 in razors.  At Jackson hole 80 is more than attainable under the right conditions, with the right gear and the right skier. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

The bases of my brand new Ripsticks are dry. Plus they are a tad sluggish on the flats.

Do people generally get the Machine Wax ($10) or the Hot Wax ($30)?

My objectives are to keep the bases in good conditions, and ski faster.

Learn to wax them yourself.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

I will once I figure out what equipment I need (Amazon Prime!), but I'll pay True Blue to do it this weekend

I’ve skied 60 days this season and haven’t used any wax.  Unless it’s fresh manmade and it gets warm during the session I don’t feel like wax does much of a difference at least for 90% of the blue snow.   

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I’ve skied 60 days this season and haven’t used any wax.  Unless it’s fresh manmade and it gets warm during the session I don’t feel like wax does much of a difference at least for 90% of the blue snow.   

TFTI. I at least want to keep the bases in good shape. Do you wax your's at the end of each season? 

TFTI. I at least want to keep the bases in good shape. Do you wax your's at the end of each season? 

I’m kind of an equipment freak, so keep that in mind, everything is IMHO. I hot wax every week. You want the wax to adsorb into the sintered ptex base, and not have it merely on the surface where the first couple of runs takes it off. In fact, after waxing you want to scrape and then brush off the wax from the surface so the structure (the pattern on the bases) is exposed and helps to break the suction between the ski and the snow, especially in spring. The stop/go, stop/go in slushy snow is usually due to the suction and not the wax.

I try to stick with non-floro broad range hydrocarbon waxes for cost and exposure safety reasons. I hot wax for 5 or 10 minutes, scrape, and then roto brush them out.

When you really want to wax often is in cold weather icy conditions when you can burn your skis, and get a whitish strip along your edges from high speed runs (I don’t have to worry about that as much any more :-).

You know you have a good wax job when you coast from the quad to Main Street passing everyone when everyone else is pushing or skating

I put a soft warm weather wax on at the end of the season and don’t scrape it off, and rub a thick layer on the edges so they won’t be rusty next winter. I silicone spray the bindings, but don’t back off on the binding springs after that one year I forgot to tighten them back up. Pretty amusing for the people watching.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, C1erArt said:

I’m kind of an equipment freak, so keep that in mind, everything is IMHO. I hot wax every week. You want the wax to adsorb into the sintered ptex base, and not have it merely on the surface where the first couple of runs takes it off. In fact, after waxing you want to scrape and then brush off the wax from the surface so the structure (the pattern on the bases) is exposed and helps to break the suction between the ski and the snow, especially in spring. The stop/go, stop/go in slushy snow is usually due to the suction and not the wax.

I try to stick with non-floro broad range hydrocarbon waxes for cost and exposure safety reasons. I hot wax for 5 or 10 minutes, scrape, and then roto brush them out.

When you really want to wax often is in cold weather icy conditions when you can burn your skis, and get a whitish strip along your edges from high speed runs (I don’t have to worry about that as much any more :-).

You know you have a good wax job when you coast from the quad to Main Street passing everyone when everyone else is pushing or skating

I put a soft warm weather wax on at the end of the season and don’t scrape it off, and rub a thick layer on the edges so they won’t be rusty next winter. I silicone spray the bindings, but don’t back off on the binding springs after that one year I forgot to tighten them back up. Pretty amusing for the people watching.

QFT!  I do about the exact same process.

9 hours ago, saltyant said:

The bases of my brand new Ripsticks are dry. Plus they are a tad sluggish on the flats.

Do people generally get the Machine Wax ($10) or the Hot Wax ($30)?

My objectives are to keep the bases in good conditions, and ski faster.

Yeah, probably only had shipping wax on them from the factory, if that.

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Machine wax is all but gone in a day, especially with abrasive spring snow. The machine is great for scraping/burnishing in the wax, but not really for actually applying it. I get varying degrees of nerdy with it depending on the skis, snow, and how many beers I feel like drinking in the process. Everything will be getting a coat of swix CH10 before this weekend. Don’t really have a good wax setup at my house yet so it’ll probably be the quick and dirty crayon method then iron and scrape out in the back yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

QFT!  I do about the exact same process.

Actually, after I drip the wax on and iron it in for 5 minutes or so, I use about 4 foot of fiberlene between the iron and the ski to adsorb the excess wax, pulling fresh paper under the iron as I go down the length of the ski. Leaves very little to be scraped and is less messy. Usually I skip scraping and just roto brush it if is not spring skiing.

Thought about building a hotbox, but never got around to it.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 12/28/2017 at 8:33 PM, Shadows said:

This is why people have an issue with you. 

Buy the fuckin skis and post an actual pic.

you are literally trolling yourself right now

I sold the RTMs at the Buckmans tent sale for two fitty. Some lucky whipped snapper is going to be shredding the gnar on the historic RTMs this upcoming winter with their newly minted Blue Mountain Vail Pass. It's unfortunate, though, as I was going to let @RidgeRacer demo the RTMs for just a 5 pack of Yoohoos. It would have been a great day of kindness!

16 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I sold the RTMs at the Buckmans tent sale for two fitty. Some lucky whipped snapper is going to be shredding the gnar on the historic RTMs this upcoming winter with their newly minted Blue Mountain Vail Pass. It's unfortunate, though, as I was going to let @RidgeRacer demo the RTMs for just a 5 pack of Yoohoos. It would have been a great day of kindness!

Here goes. the first one of the season…

STFU Salty 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

30 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Were they autographed?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

The ignore button is a powerful function and has given me back many hours of my life.  

Like and subscribe and you may receive an official 2024 taxidermied squirrel donning saltyant ski gear attire with miniature, handcrafted and authentically autographed RTM 170s.

Edited by saltyant
Batteries not included

2 hours ago, NMSKI said:

The ignore button is a powerful function and has given me back many hours of my life.  

I agree, however, so many people quote his posts I end up half seeing them anyway. So do us ignore Salty peeps a solid and stop doing that. 

• Like 3