Ski Selection Thread

saltyant

1 hour ago, eaf said:

You guys are unreasonable.

First, he's trolling you. He appears to trust the shop better and thinks that he knows better what skis he needs, and you're all locked into wide and long period.

Second, he's freaking right to ski 170 as a beginner (if he's really a beginner). He's gonna keep the skis for only a season or two and then will decide whether to go longer or shorter. Beginners are not supposed to be skiing stiff and long, it's pointless. He would be just going straight all the time and beating his speed records. Not only is he OK with his 81/170, but his radius is also medium at 16. A 14 would be even better.

Third, you all actually know that his choice is OK very well as I've seen some very sound comments here from people who actually take time and write a good paragraph or two. Except that those paragraphs often need to be taken with a grain of salt because salty isn't you. Meaning take your extreme numbers and downscale a bit for his abilities and weekend daytime skiing conditions.

Finally, he didn't try 177, and he can't extrapolate what he felt at 170 to longer skis. He removed guesswork from the equation and chose to buy something that he'd be able to ski with confidence over the season. All of the numbers are academics, advising someone to buy a ski based on how tall he is is bullshit. Weight matters much more than height. W/o trying you can't know how the ski will behave. There are also a lot of numbers that are not published like torsional stiffness. Atomic sometimes writes longitudinal one, but never torsional. And that affects ice grip. Flex distribution also means a lot. He could've I guess asked one of you who already skis RTM, picked his brain and adjusted for himself, but nobody here skis RTM. And so this thread is completely pointless.

Too Long Didn't Read..and you sound like a gaper. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, eaf said:

You guys are unreasonable.

First, he's trolling you. He appears to trust the shop better and thinks that he knows better what skis he needs, and you're all locked into wide and long period.

Second, he's freaking right to ski 170 as a beginner (if he's really a beginner). He's gonna keep the skis for only a season or two and then will decide whether to go longer or shorter. Beginners are not supposed to be skiing stiff and long, it's pointless. He would be just going straight all the time and beating his speed records. Not only is he OK with his 81/170, but his radius is also medium at 16. A 14 would be even better.

Third, you all actually know that his choice is OK very well as I've seen some very sound comments here from people who actually take time and write a good paragraph or two. Except that those paragraphs often need to be taken with a grain of salt because salty isn't you. Meaning take your extreme numbers and downscale a bit for his abilities and weekend daytime skiing conditions.

Finally, he didn't try 177, and he can't extrapolate what he felt at 170 to longer skis. He removed guesswork from the equation and chose to buy something that he'd be able to ski with confidence over the season. All of the numbers are academics, advising someone to buy a ski based on how tall he is is bullshit. Weight matters much more than height. W/o trying you can't know how the ski will behave. There are also a lot of numbers that are not published like torsional stiffness. Atomic sometimes writes longitudinal one, but never torsional. And that affects ice grip. Flex distribution also means a lot. He could've I guess asked one of you who already skis RTM, picked his brain and adjusted for himself, but nobody here skis RTM. And so this thread is completely pointless.

Did he even fucking hand flex them? If no, then he'll never choose an appropriate ski.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, enjoralas said:

Salty, nice purchase. The 177 probably would have been better, but you won't even notice it over the useful life of those skis to you. And you're not skiing on total crap now, so when you're ready for your next set you can afford to take your time and hit free demo days and test all kinds of brands and widths and lengths and really dial in on what you like best. In the meantime, these skis are gonna kick ass for you and you're gonna have a hell of a season. Also, I feel like you only purchased them from where you did to avoid buying Root his sixer, which is totally against the bro-code so I think you still owe it to him. As it is written so shall it be done.

Now shut up and ski.

How much cheaper was roots deal than the ski shop price??

52 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Thanks enjorales. Very insightful post and lol at the lift line writeup. Fine, I will buy you guys a 4 pack of beer next time I ski at Blue. That would be sooner if I had a certain pass. Now I'm in my car near the Stevenson lift and booted up, ready to go test these 170s out for their inaugural run. 

Have fun SallyAnt!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

How much cheaper was roots deal than the ski shop price??

I told salty to make the seller an offer for $500, so lets say he overpaid by $100.

https://www.geartrade.com/item/529598/2017-volkl-rtm-81-alpine-snow-ski-ipt-xl-120-binding

56 minutes ago, Barb said:

I came across this and somehow it seemed appropriate  

I'll throw this as a teaser for the new RTM owner.

https://youtu.be/GOIhwyQP140

Just look at the happy smile on the guy's face and tell me that it doesn't make you want to run to the store and try them right away. BM has plenty of Nordica's, including Navigators.

1 minute ago, eaf said:

Just look at the happy smile on the guy's face and tell me that it doesn't make you want to run to the store and try them right away. BM has plenty of Nordica's, including Navigators.

AND HE HAND FLEXED THEM.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eaf said:

Blue only sells gaper skis lol

Thanks guys. There are too many posts to reply to due to my ridiculous level of popularity on this forum. But my overall conclusion is after 9 runs, I am skiing excellent on the 170s. I am honestly at a major loss here for what the big frickin' deal is. But whatever, it's all good. CB is amazing today and not too crowded. If the speed lifts get packed I'll hit some fixed grip lifts. I think I'm coming back tomorrow to ski 7:30 to close and get some Chinese in the middle. Hope everyone enjoyed their day at blue.

11 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Blue only sells gaper skis lol

Someone who never tried delicious deserts at Blue has no rights calling others a gaper. Plus be careful on the lifts out there. I heard some people here like Enforcers 93-100 a lot.

4 minutes ago, eaf said:

Someone who never tried delicious deserts at Blue has no rights calling others a gaper. Plus be careful on the lifts out there. I heard some people here like Enforcers 93-100 a lot.

Eaf it's desserts and you're the guy who thinks people who ski fat skis in PA are gapers yet you don't wanna ski when there are sugar piles because you aren't good enough to ski through them on your slalom skis..I was gonna tell you to sit on it but I thinking Hugging this is more appropriate 

IMG_2092.JPG

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich