12/26/17...snowmaking, empty..runaway ski!!!

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Hey All,

I'm back from a fun session at Blue mountain the true mountain. I rocked out to Lil Pump and Huey Lewis and the News on the drive up and I arrived in the lower lot at 7:26AM and a second later Indiggio arrived followed by Atomic Jeff, Shadows, Toast, Slim, Root and a random guy who got to ride first chair with the PASRs. 

I was on the mantras and they loved challenge but I would have enjoyed challenge on snowblades today as it was majestic to start. Not many times I ski challenge four times in the first hour usually it's a once and done wham bam thank you mam today I didn't want to just hit it and quit it I'd rather stay and play when in came to challenge..

Main Street was good but a little dark similar snow to challenge especially on the bottom..lazy mile and paradise were alright a little slow..snow guns were cranking in Central Park, switchback, razors edge and nightmare to dreamweaver. Everything will be open in the next 48-72 hours you heard it here first.  

I only skied sidewinder once early..it was alright..but not as good as the others so I didn't return but I'm glad sidewinder is back in the lineup for me. I skied it sometimes when it was a terrain park and used to get mad steeZy air a decade+ ago but it's a nice run when they widen the corners it will be a winner. 

Shadows was on my shiros the first hour and a half or so just comparing different types of skis then he switched to atomic jeffs Kastles and Jeff was on my shiros and was pushing it to the limit on Main Street.wne midrun released from one of the skis and the ski went in a straight line for no less than 350 vert from the end of the bumps almost to where switchback cuts into Main Street. Atomic Jeff was ok I skied down retrieved my ski from a snowmakers who happened to see it all happen only some minor topsheet damage to the ski..shadows picked up the brake that was near the ejection site and Atomic Jeff skied down on one ski then back to the base on both but missing a brake on one. A screwdriver and an engineer and all was fine. 

Then I went in the lodge to use facility shadows returned my skis to his car sans brake on one ski and got his skis and we did a few more runs...Challenge was icy at this point around 10am then did lazy mile which was still ok and no real lip on the falls for the Toast and Indiggio to get mad steeZy air off of. Had a beer in the lot then Root came to the lot had another beer was going to go to the BMDI with shadows and Atomic Jeff but closed..stopped at work on the way home took take in the mail and now thinking about if I'm gonna need another layer tomorrow gonna be mad brick. 

How's it empty though? I check the webcams from time to time, and there seem to be plenty of people all over the place. Only now it's clearing out.

I'm actually considering to abandon my night skiing plans at BM on Thursday and go to JF instead... Because there the eastern side is literally empty. Not a soul.

Edited by eaf

6 minutes ago, eaf said:

How's it empty though? I check the webcams from time to time, and there seem to be plenty of people all over the place. Only now it's clearing out.

I'm actually considering to abandon my night skiing plans at BM on Thursday and go to JF instead... Because there the eastern side is literally empty. Not a soul.

for the first 1:30 minutes there was nobody else on the same trail as us other than the people we were skiing with. Webcams are typically high traffic areas.

And so let me get it straight... The bindings disengaged in the middle of the run? Just like that? You didn't do bumps, didn't run into a cookie, were just skiing down, and then all of sudden the bindings open, brakes break? Wow. Puts that recent conversation of having bindings periodically tested into a new perspective.

56 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Mx? Whatever waist. Red tips. Like being clipped into snow

Did you ski them or not? Doug's saying you did, you say you didn't even get to rip on them... But sounds like your dilemma's been solved? A pair of Kastles for you?

Just now, AtomicSkier said:

Extreme?  They're my daily drivers...nothing extreme about them.  

Kinda long and wide still. But we've been through that already.

What I'm wondering is how did you buy them? They aren't demoed anywhere and new pair costs a fortune. So it's got to be based on some faith and reviews alone?

Just now, eaf said:

Kinda long and wide still. But we've been through that already.

What I'm wondering is how did you buy them? They aren't demoed anywhere and new pair costs a fortune. So it's got to be based on some faith and reviews alone?

I demo'd them for a day in Aspen two years ago.  I bought Hamilton Sports only remaining pair the next day for, at that time, an amazing deal.  They can be had (despite being last produced 2 years ago) on random websites for ~$600 now.

3 hours ago, eaf said:

It will definitely be empty at JF Thursday night.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, eaf said:

Did you ski them or not? Doug's saying you did, you say you didn't even get to rip on them... But sounds like your dilemma's been solved? A pair of Kastles for you?

I skied them.  For half a run befores dougs skis decided they didnt want to play anymore. So switched back.

id have to try them more to get an idea of what they actually do before buying. They seem legit though.