Stratton dec 26 and 27

tarponhead

Here with a friend. Mainly groomers here with limited bump/natural terrain open. Relatively light crowds yesterday. Stupid crowded today. Started day at 0 degrees so everyone riding Gondi after 20+ minute wait. Us being brilliant people rode the lifts on the other side of the hill with no lines and rolling on playful choppy whales. Eating now. Will finish afternoon lapping this away from crowds. I would be pumped if Stratton was a local PA hill but for a Vt ride ehhh

610b2a7bef83986d60df145b8839dc17.jpg

• Like 6

11 hours ago, tarponhead said:

I would be pumped if Stratton was a local PA hill but for a Vt ride ehhh

Thanks. That's kind of the impression I got of Stratton also. An old friend invited me to go to Stratton instead of Stowe this February, but I'm still doing Stowe because it seems like a much better mountain.

Edited by saltyant

6 hours ago, indiggio said:

Stowe and Jay are in a dead heat IMHO.

I like Stowe's trees better because most aren't on the map. At jay peak they have dozens of glades that are marked which fills them up with people.  Jay peak does receive more snowfall and has poutine and 24 ounce Labatt bleu in the cafeteria. Stowe has jake burton and a couple of the younger Von Trapps...maybe they are in a dead heat..

• Like 1

If you are at Stowe, and want lunch on the cheap, hit all of the lodges.  I can't remember the exact details, but the last time I was there, you could find graham crackers, peanut butter, jelly and honey for some el-cheapo condiment lunch.

Edit:  Only one of the lodges has the graham crackers.  I think it's the lodge just uphill from where the gondubie loads.  It's not the $pruce lodge (although there are free lockers there).

Edited by RootDKJ

52 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

If you are at Stowe, and want lunch on the cheap, hit all of the lodges.  I can't remember the exact details, but the last time I was there, you could find graham crackers, peanut butter, jelly and honey for some el-cheapo condiment lunch.

Edit:  Only one of the lodges has the graham crackers.  I think it's the lodge just uphill from where the gondubie loads.  It's not the $pruce lodge (although there are free lockers there).

Or make soup with hot water ketchup and salt and pepper. Free crackers and with enough ketchup it's actually a bisque. 

12 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:
18 hours ago, saltyant said:
Thanks. That's kind of the impression I got of Stratton also. An old friend invited me to go to Stratton instead of Stowe this February, but I'm still doing Stowe because it seems like a much better mountain.

Maybe you can ski with the meatheads while you're up there?

Just don't go over the cliffs in the notch. 

• Thanks 1