12/30...Pow day...snowglobe..low crowds.

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Hey All,

I'm back from another fun session at Blue mountain the true mountain. There was about 1/2" of new snow when I began my drive at 6:48am and the drive up took at least 10 minutes longer due to slow mofos on the road. Arrived at the bottom lot at 730am and the temperature was in the low teens with a steady snowfall. 

In the house today were Atomic Jeff, tickle me Toast, JFDan, Slim, Ryan, Indiggio, MBike Mike, Matt edge and many others.  First run I skied challenge while the others skied Razors. Challenge was untracked except for some cross tracks done by the ski patrol in avalanche mitigation efforts.  Second run was sidewinder and it was sa weet with large swatchs of pow pow. Next run everybody but me did nightmare to dreamweaver and I did Razors edge just as they were closing it for race training and Razors was sweet and I did my first razorback of the season. That run reaffirmed that today was a real deal PA powder day. 

Switchback was good..don't tell anybody..x-Ing was dust on crust but still good and challenge got icy quick. This morning was like skiing in a snowglobe and it was warmer with temperatures rising through the teens.  

First hour skied seven runs, second hour skied six runs, third hour had some troegs and weyerbacher beers. Missed the red chair a few times today..JFDan had some heat from us via his propane tank and some Xmas cookies as well. I'll be back tomorrow AM enjoying some more December skiing and I heard conditions are gonna be Grrr ate

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SallyCat said:

I'm with Moe. Stuck in Vermont with temps that make skiing unbearable. And the power just went out. :(

1 hour ago, SallyCat said:

I'm with Moe. Stuck in Vermont with temps that make skiing unbearable. And the power just went out. :(

Where did you ski today and any report from Okemo yesterday??  

43 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Where did you ski today and any report from Okemo yesterday??  

Didn't ski today--the wind chill was too brutal. I skied at Pico the other day in -7 weather and it was fine, but there was no wind that day. The last couple of days here the wind chill has been like 25 below and I found out the hard way how much of a difference wind speed makes.

So Okemo yesterday was a day skiing, and I'm not complaining, but it was challenging. First, it was scary cold. My only problems were feet and face, but they were serious problems. My Hotronics cranked to "eleven" just couldn't keep my toes from being painfully cold. You had to cover your face, but doing so fogged your goggles and the fog immediately froze, so you'd have to figure some damn way to get ice off your lenses. The Airhole balaclava I was wearing was nice, thick fleece, but it got saturated from condensation right away, so was worse than useless as face coverage. 

The snow was pretty firm to begin with and then became scraped off quickly, with big, bald ice patches everywhere. So you were always sort of looking for snow and dealing with ice.  And it was really crowded, so there was a lot of standing around not moving much, which didn't help anything. 

At one point I went inside the lodge at the Solitude lift to warm my feet and before you know it i was at the bar drinking a Magic Hat and eating a F-ING AMAZING plate of chicken and waffles. That was really the highlight of the day.

On the way home I almost didn't make it up the hill to my family's house, so all my evangelizing about Bridgestone Blizzaks should now come with the caveat that you really should have all wheel drive in Vermont. Rear-axle torque: I needed it. 

Headed home tomorrow and hoping to get some runs in first thing on NYD. 

5a48339e0a0c0_ChickenWafflesMagicHat.thumb.jpg.83b383b7a5db3192654997c97b5f03f5.jpg

• Like 4

Nice report SallyCat. I haven't skied Vermont in 6-7 years. I went to college at UVM so mainly skied Stowe and Sugarbush..I never had goggle icing issues wearing a balaclava I just don't like have my face covered in snot. 

Hopefully the single digit temperatures New Years morning will feel balmy to you..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Didn't ski today--the wind chill was too brutal. I skied at Pico the other day in -7 weather and it was fine, but there was no wind that day. The last couple of days here the wind chill has been like 25 below and I found out the hard way how much of a difference wind speed makes.

So Okemo yesterday was a day skiing, and I'm not complaining, but it was challenging. First, it was scary cold. My only problems were feet and face, but they were serious problems. My Hotronics cranked to "eleven" just couldn't keep my toes from being painfully cold. You had to cover your face, but doing so fogged your goggles and the fog immediately froze, so you'd have to figure some damn way to get ice off your lenses. The Airhole balaclava I was wearing was nice, thick fleece, but it got saturated from condensation right away, so was worse than useless as face coverage. 

The snow was pretty firm to begin with and then became scraped off quickly, with big, bald ice patches everywhere. So you were always sort of looking for snow and dealing with ice.  And it was really crowded, so there was a lot of standing around not moving much, which didn't help anything. 

At one point I went inside the lodge at the Solitude lift to warm my feet and before you know it i was at the bar drinking a Magic Hat and eating a F-ING AMAZING plate of chicken and waffles. That was really the highlight of the day.

On the way home I almost didn't make it up the hill to my family's house, so all my evangelizing about Bridgestone Blizzaks should now come with the caveat that you really should have all wheel drive in Vermont. Rear-axle torque: I needed it. 

Headed home tomorrow and hoping to get some runs in first thing on NYD. 

5a48339e0a0c0_ChickenWafflesMagicHat.thumb.jpg.83b383b7a5db3192654997c97b5f03f5.jpg

You've really stepped up your posting game since your brief departure and return to this POS site.

• Like 2

On the way home I almost didn't make it up the hill to my family's house, so all my evangelizing about Bridgestone Blizzaks should now come with the caveat that you really should have all wheel drive in Vermont. Rear-axle torque: I needed it

Annnnd that is why Subaru is the unofficial state car of Vt.

Safe travels
  • Like 2