1/1/18

Hey All,

I'm back from the first day of skiing this year and my 20th day of the season. I skipped out on Mickey Dee's breakfast and had some crackers, pita, hummus and apple slices.  Arrived at Blue mountain the true mountain at 7:24am and I had -2 but others had  as low as -8 so I'm going with around -5 at the base and a few degrees warmer up high. 

In the house were Atomic Jeff, JFDan, Matt edge, MBike Mike, PARidge, TP4, Slim, GahSkier George, Enjorales and Enjorales dad.  Razors was closed right from the start so began on challenge which was a carpet. Nightmare dreamweaver was very nice as was sidewinder.  Nothing was bad except a run on challenge later on closer to 930am was a little choppy.  

My nose and toes were the coldest parts..was good to be out skiing completing 7 straight morning sessions beginning on the 26th..it's very rare to have the week between xmas and New Years be completely rain free.  A main highlight of today was the complete lack of crowds as New Year's Day people wake up later plus the cold surely scared off many of the fence sitters.  Was a short session got a quick dozen or so runs and bugged out before 10am..no beers in the lot today I had plenty Saturday and Sunday.  

Me and atomic jeff ended up stopping at city view diner for brunch on the way home as both the BMDI and the Whitehall diner were closed.  It was pretty busy but we were served fairly fast. Now I'm posting this from work..I haven't been in since Friday morning and thought I'd take in Friday afternoon and saturdays mail and get things ready for tomorrow which will be really busy plus I think housekeeping is in my room so giving them some time to do their thing before I return and put the Do not disturb sign up..JADIP

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

Really good skiing this morning. NMDW, Switchback and Main Street were equally awesome. Despite the temps I was feeling pretty good skiing with good peeps. Plus the lack of crowds is always a nice bonus. Temps were at 0 when I left the house, - 9 at one point on spruce hollow road. - 6 pulling into the lot. JADIP.

242df1a43c54955c9c77c740a4611153.jpgbbf4a87e670fb38418fe90c27d379e32.jpg

I had -6F when I pulled in.  Closer to 0F at the top of the mountain if I remember correctly.  There was no wind today which made it quite palatable.  I was also on my slalom skis (yes Eaf, I have narrow skis, too) to help keep me warm.  Main Street was the ROTD for me, absolutely perfect snow.  NMDW was a close second.  We've had such amazing conditions the past week+ and it looks like it's only going to continue.

I skipped out on Mickey Dee's breakfast and had some crackers, pita, hummus and apple slices.  

Knock me over with a feather.... (and good for you)

Awesome conditions today. Loving Indiggio’s new skis cause I’m no longer getting pelted with spray. Taking the family to warm up at Whiteface tomorrow! Wait...what?
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, tarponhead said:

Knock me over with a feather.... (and good for you)

Awesome conditions today. Loving Indiggio’s new skis cause I’m no longer getting pelted with spray. Taking the family to warm up at Whiteface tomorrow! Wait...what?

It's not gonna be real cold at whiteface until Friday..next weekend looks even colder than today everywhere in the northeast. 

Agree, all the runs were in excellent condition, just set an edge and forget it.

I liked NM/DW the best today as you could carry the speed through the top two turns all the way down.  No real need to bleed off any speed.
Unfortunately all the edges were gouged by the groomers and the lack of crowds kept the ridge mostly unskiable.

Edited by indiggio

Part way through the session an uncoordinated old hippy on cross country skis tried to get on the six pack with us and we already had six. 

He’s wearing leather boots on straight skis that are maybe 55 underfoot with x-country bindings. He is a nice guy. How coordinated you think you would be on that rig?

18 minutes ago, tarponhead said:

He’s wearing leather boots on straight skis that are maybe 55 underfoot with x-country bindings. He is a nice guy. How coordinated you think you would be on that rig?

Coordinated enough to stop and wait for a chair that doesn't have 6 people loading. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

bugged out before 10am

It got even better later in the day. Around 11-ish, the sun had come out, temp rose, and there were still no crowds. I skied from 8 to 3 and there were no lines when I left. Runs started to get a little scrapey in places  later on, but not terribly so. Kept saying "this is my last run" around noon, but it was so fun I couldn't make myself leave. 

I'm not sure why they ran the quad, though. Not complaining, just curious; it wasn't needed and it dragged you through the snow guns blasting on Razor's all day. 

Was a treat to bop around on all my favorite trails from last year (my first year at Blue). Switchback and Main St. are my faves. 

6 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

It got even better later in the day. Around 11-ish, the sun had come out, temp rose, and there were still no crowds. I skied from 8 to 3 and there were no lines when I left. Runs started to get a little scrapey in places  later on, but not terribly so. Kept saying "this is my last run" around noon, but it was so fun I couldn't make myself leave. 

I'm not sure why they ran the quad, though. Not complaining, just curious; it wasn't needed and it dragged you through the snow guns blasting on Razor's all day. 

Was a treat to bop around on all my favorite trails from last year (my first year at Blue). Switchback and Main St. are my faves. 

Way to get after it..I skied the last 7 days at Blue and was getting burnt out on Blue despite the good conditions.  Tomorrow for work I actually can sleep an hour and a half later.  Sally I think we all passed you skiing down Main Street around the middle of the upper section.  Did a pack of five skiers fly by you??

• Like 1