01/01 - Brutally cold, but nice in every other way

eaf

It's a possibility. Every time I ski with someone better than me they start giving me lots of pointers, but being unbalanced hasn't been one of them yet.

Yeah it helps just watching someone better to see their form. Invest in a lesson if you really care about getting better with proper form.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

$250 is a bargain if it keeps you on the slopes longer.  If it is consistently this cold around here I'm gonna get them. My feet were ice cubes in two hours today 

Like you don't know that cold weather here never lasts... But I heard at least twice this fall a prediction for abnormally cold and snowy weather, and looky what we have today... Btw, here is an interesting quote from pugski.com. Never heard of this Almanac before.

The (always reliable) Old Farmer's Almanac has already predicted a cold and snowy winter. They look at the signs: thicker than normal corn husks, pairs of woodpeckers sharing a tree, early snowy owls, the early migration of geese, ducks, and monarch butterflies, thick and frequent August fogs, thick hair on cows' napes, thick-tailed raccoons, ravenous house-mice (check), early hearth-crickets, large spider webs, pigs gathering sticks (who knew?), insects traveling in lines, bees retiring early to their hives, an abundant acorn crop, muskrats burrowing high on river banks, high-placed hornets' nests, fat woolly caterpillars with narrow bands, squirrels gathering early nuts, and halos around the moon. Apparently, pigs have gathered sticks, but I haven't seen a caterpillar yet.

12 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Yeah it helps just watching someone better to see their form. Invest in a lesson if you really care about getting better with proper form.

Wouldnt hurt. I like to know specifically what I should do differently (i.e. lean forward more) rather than what I'm doing wrong (i.e. skidding instead of carving)

1 minute ago, eaf said:

Like you don't know that cold weather here never lasts... But I heard at least twice this fall a prediction for abnormally cold and snowy weather, and looky what we have today... Btw, here is an interesting quote from pugski.com. Never heard of this Almanac before.

Then just deal with cold toes...it's a bold statement when somebody like me who's a bear talks about getting warmer stuff!!!  

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Wouldnt hurt. I like to know specifically what I should do differently (i.e. lean forward more) rather than what I'm doing wrong (i.e. skidding instead of carving)

Have you watched any YouTube videos on how to carve.  It took me years to learn how to carve on old straight skis and once the super shapes came out I was hyper carving and unless I make an effort to carve I mainly skid the few turns I make..

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Honestly, how do the glades at JF compare to Blue? I don't think I can ski at CB after this because there aren't any glades there.

Oh boy. A new season pass dilemma coming. In my opinion glades are dangerous at Blue. JF's are way better: easier gradient, more snow. Get a Peak pass. This way you'll combine your VT/NY trips with nice and easy skiing at JF.

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Then just deal with cold toes...it's a bold statement when somebody like me who's a bear talks about getting warmer stuff!!!  

I think i might look into these too. I was warm all day except my feet, and the cold doesnt normally bother me at all.

4 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Have you watched any YouTube videos on how to carve.  It took me years to learn how to carve on old straight skis and once the super shapes came out I was hyper carving and unless I make an effort to carve I mainly skid the few turns I make..

I watched this guy the other day, and I thought it helped somewhat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGn62uxnhjg

9 minutes ago, eaf said:

Oh boy. A new season pass dilemma coming. In my opinion glades are dangerous at Blue. JF's are way better: easier gradient, more snow. Get a Peak pass. This way you'll combine your VT/NY trips with nice and easy skiing at JF.

I thought about it today since my friend got the Peak Pass. But it costs $1,000 and JF doesn't have a high-speed quad or night skiing. But I really enjoyed it today and the complete absence of crowds was very nice. JF reminds me a lot of Elk, even though it's a little bit smaller.

11 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I watched this.

Since we're posting videos, here's my favorite. How to be a gaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3g12dq4mew

Yes, I realize now that this video is where I got my now infamous "rad" tag from.

https://youtu.be/s3g12dq4mew?t=1m1s

Edited by saltyant
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I thought about it today since my friend got the Peak Pass. But it costs $1,000 and JF doesn't have a high-speed quad or night skiing. But I really enjoyed it today and the complete absence of crowds was very nice. JF reminds me a lot of Elk, even though it's a little bit smaller.

No crowds at Blue either. So many empty chairlifts. 

3 minutes ago, eaf said:

They sure took a lot of beating while shooting the video

I don't know why but I found it hilarious. Especially when they start saying "epic... gnarly... let's go shred the Marm (a green slope at Keystone)". I know you guys probably won't like it though because I have a really stupid sense of humor.

Not sure why they found it necessary to fall 25 times, we got the point the first 3 times.

Edited by saltyant

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Yep it seems that most people from the large cities in NY and NJ just go right to Camelback. JF/Blue/Elk seem like a real ski resorts and not a tourist trap like CB.

Are you now trying to flatter the true skiers here?? Pick a side already. They need the opposite. Look at Doug. He got so comfortable at BM over the years that he demanded $25 for skiing BB this Thanksgiving!

1 minute ago, eaf said:

Are you now trying to flatter the true skiers here?? Pick a side already. They need the opposite. Look at Doug. He got so comfortable at BM over the years that he demanded $25 for skiing BB this Thanksgiving!

Nah, I'm just indecisive. Maybe I'll just float around like you and ski different resorts all year so I'm not "chained to a SP". But then again, I really love getting up at 6 am on a weekend morning and hitting the fresh corduroy before the masses arrive, and I'm sure as hell not paying $60+ each day to do it.