01/01 - Brutally cold, but nice in every other way

eaf

6 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Salty you know you're gonna get a pass at Blue next month. What other place offers so much for $449 or maybe $519

IDK the demo shop at CB was really cool. I still owe them a 4 pack of YooHoo for deicing my binders the other day.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

How many turns did he make? Floyd's is the ultimate trail for new skiers to feel good about themselves on because it's a quick headwall that can be straight lined rather easily.

I didn't count them but he made quite a few turns, and kept his speed well under control, instead of just flying down like I did on steep slopes when I started.

Edited by saltyant

28 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Nah, I'm just indecisive. Maybe I'll just float around like you and ski different resorts all year so I'm not "chained to a SP". But then again, I really love getting up at 6 am on a weekend morning and hitting the fresh corduroy before the masses arrive, and I'm sure as hell not paying $60+ each day to do it.

I would probably buy a pass at Camelback every other year if I could get it for $399 like you did this year. I would just put off skiing there in the off years until they put the next years pass on sale. I usually buy a triple ticket a year there, at $43 per visit it would take 5 visits each year for me to save money on that pass. 

Might be tight to squeeze that many in, considering I would still have a Blue pass as well. Living less than 20 minutes from the mountain it doesn't make any sense not to have one.

Moot point anyway, since I passed eligibility for that pass about 10 years, 364 days ago.

4 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

I would probably buy a pass at Camelback every other year if I could get it for $399 like you did this year. I would just put off skiing there in the off years until they put the next years pass on sale. I usually buy a triple ticket a year there, at $43 per visit it would take 5 visits each year for me to save money on that pass.

For me the $399 rate is only good for one more season.

Edited by saltyant

13 hours ago, eaf said:

Oh boy. A new season pass dilemma coming. In my opinion glades are dangerous at Blue. JF's are way better: easier gradient, more snow. Get a Peak pass. This way you'll combine your VT/NY trips with nice and easy skiing at JF.

As a past long time season pass holder at JFBB, let me give you the 411 on Jack Frost.  This isnt a total dig at JF, but alot of this is why i left for Blue.  I will keep any type of comparison to any other mountain out of this.  

Pros - They do generally have good snow.  

Grooming is good.  

Low crowds except for Holiday Weekends.  

Glades, Elevator, Risk it, Gonzo's Grind, Mad Tree Glade. (more on this later) 

Easy to score half price lift tickets.

The lunch special in the lodge is usually awesome.  

Powder day in the trees can be awesome.  

If there is a good base, and you get a good snow, there are normally some areas most people wont venture to to make some nice turns.  

Cons - Last to open, first to close.  Not in their eyes, since Boulder opens first always with Freedom.  Frost will always open later than BB.  

Lifts are slow. No getting around the fact you spend a ton of time on them. 

Runs are short,  they dont really turn either.  They really just go pretty much straight down the mountain, yes, i guess you could say Telstar or Solitude turn, but......really?

Abuse the glades when they are good, for they are normally short lived.  Lets remember, most snow in the glades is blow over, or natural.  right now, they should be pretty good.  They will start to deteriorate pretty quickly coming up, unless we get a few snows here.  1 warm day and a cold night will solidify the base,  but turns them into icy chutes.  like i said, abuse them when they are good.  Skiing Challenge glade top to bottom seems less likely these days.  

When the off trail stuff sucks, like due to weather, that place gets small.

When the off trail stuff sucks, like due to weather, and they start closing off half of East Mountain and Challange for the race team, that place gets really small.  (this is what did the place in for me)

The trails really dont have enough sustained pitch to make an overnight dump "epic". Getting to anything with decent pitch requires a trip down something kinda flat.   Good snows for Frost are in the 6-8" range.   

The Elevator, and Elevator glade were not kept up.  Phillycore basically petitioned them to clean it out and make it skiable.  which they did, like 8 years ago.  Since then, they broke the weedeater, and havent replaced it.  The video SaltyAnn found is PASR day there, three days after a 16" day.  Still fun.  

One park glade can be good, but one park will always come first.  

Thunderbolt Glade is the most dangerous glade in PA.  What lures people in there i will never know.  Its full of big boulders and gets very little snow.  I have seen countless people get hauled out of there.  

JF & BB might be starting to become the red-headed step child of Peak Resorts.  

Yes, with the Peak Pass, maybe Hunter is in the cards for early season when they are sitting on their thumbs in the Poconos.  And in the early season i have the itch to ski, like everybody else, but I have trouble making an early season trip anywhere with some distance to ski 1 or 2 trails.  I want my trips to count for something.  go when its awesome and 100% open.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1