Trivia Tuesday

enjoralas

7 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Everyone used to get on the phone at the same time (like 3 way calling) and talk about how much bread they have left.

Kind of. More of a shared line among houses. If somebody was on, you could pick up and listen if you lived on the party line. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rummy said:

An 8 track player and a reverb unit in a 68 Camaro, with two (stereo) speakers cut into the "parcel" shelf at the back window..... now that's an old phart!!

If you had a first gen camaro, then me and you just became internet friends. 

Most of my childhood was in black and white. Color tv came into my house when i was about 8 or 9.  We had a rotary telephone until i was 18. Elgin 6. 

No 8 tracks for me. 

6 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Is an LP the same as a record??  It's nice never having to purchase music thanks to YouTube.  The last CD I bought was around 2004 or earlier. I never had many CDs, maybe 15 total. 

I used to love going to the record store. Went every time I got paid. Tower Records, I believe in Doylestown shopping center. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SallyCat said:

That's all there was when we were kids. And there were five of us, so if you wanted privacy you had to stretch the cord out the back door and just deal with the weather. It literally took physical effort to dial a number. 

Was nice though when the number had a  0 in it and your finger got the free ride back around. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, toast21602 said:

Kind of. More of a shared line among houses. If somebody was on, you could pick up and listen if you lived on the party line. 

If you go to Disney World, in the hat shop on Main St in Magic Kingdom there is a phone on the wall. If you pick it up you can listen in on an old school party line style conversation

Edited by enjoralas

I used to love going to the record store. Went every time I got paid. Tower Records, I believe in Doylestown shopping center. 
Tower records was the shit. They sold concert tickets there too. Peeps would sleep outside of the tower by me all the time to queue up for tickets. Scored tickets to the best show I've ever seen at the Tower on Roosevelt Boulevard.

2 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:
53 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

Tower records was the shit. They sold concert tickets there too. Peeps would sleep outside of the tower by me all the time to queue up for tickets. Scored tickets to the best show I've ever seen at the Tower on Roosevelt Boulevard.

Don't tell me it was U2....

1 hour ago, momskeeztoo said:

Me, too! I used to work at a record store on Long Island called "Record World." But then CDs came along so they changed the name of the store to "Square Circle." Which was pretty lame. Tower was always the Vatican of record stores; a huge, exciting, pilgrimage destination.

How'd you guess? Was one of the first nights of their Zoo TV tour at the old Spectrum. The Pixies opened up...so the Pixies and U2 at their peak in one evening. Before you hate look it up. That or I'm making you a mix tape and forcing you listen to it in the lot at Blue.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RidgeRacer said:
23 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

How'd you guess? Was one of the first nights of their Zoo TV tour at the old Spectrum. The Pixies opened up...so the Pixies and U2 at their peak in one evening. Before you hate look it up. That or I'm making you a mix tape and forcing you listen to it in the lot at Blue.

I won't hate. It was just too predictable. 

Pretty much. It (being predictable) drives my wife nuts. She can tell when I'm reading PASR because of how I laugh when I'm reading it. I don't even that I'm doing it. Then she'll say some shit to make fun of me like "yo RidgeRacer, when you're done writing your little trip report change the cat litter."
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

Tower was awesome, great selection. Did you ever go to the record store on state street next to the Doylestown inn, I think it was called the Purple Porpoise, it was downstairs and there was a hippie clothing store upstairs with another cosmic name that I can't recall. 

10 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:
11 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Pretty much. It (being predictable) drives my wife nuts. She can tell when I'm reading PASR because of how I laugh when I'm reading it. I don't even that I'm doing it. Then she'll say some shit to make fun of me like "yo RidgeRacer, when you're done writing your little trip report change the cat litter."

Your wife sounds hilarious.

2 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

Never went to that one. Maybe there before I lived in Doylestown. It was fun living there, but we kinda got priced out. If we were still there, would just mean a longer drive to Blue. 

70 minutes to blue is less then ideal.

• Confused 1