Beginner Park at Big Boulder?

SallyCat

31 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

I almost had the ignominious distinction of having my first fall of the year be on Yeti at Blue yesterday, when I skied onto the first little slide box hey have in there but totally missed it with the right ski. No idea how I managed to stay upright, but I saved it, lol

Wow just wow. There used to be a light up disco box in the lower park at Blue I woild hit alot(no steeze just straight run) and a stair set in the sidewinder park I would ski down.  

4 hours ago, Shadows said:

What didn't you like about blues park? 

I need stupid small features; I'm old and a noob. Yeti is fine, but it's just two boxes and a roller and you have to either walk back up or ski all the way down Burma and take the slow chair back up. 

Also the boxes have metal edges that weirdly kill your speed. I almost went over the handlebars the first time I hit one of them. 

5 hours ago, SallyCat said:

I need stupid small features; I'm old and a noob. Yeti is fine, but it's just two boxes and a roller and you have to either walk back up or ski all the way down Burma and take the slow chair back up. 

Also the boxes have metal edges that weirdly kill your speed. I almost went over the handlebars the first time I hit one of them. 

You're supposed to hit boxes with detuned edges. 

6 hours ago, SallyCat said:

you have to either walk back up or ski all the way down Burma and take the slow chair back up.

Have you ever been to boulder? Be prepared lol. 

Sometimes begginner features are harder than more advanced ones. No way id put my skis sideways on the yeti boxes. 

And yes, park will destroy skis. But thats how it is

• Like 1

Wide rails are easier than boxes for that reason. Plastic sticks, metal slides. Unless you have no edge at all. I used to ride around on sidewall/core. 

the boxes in yeti are buried so if you put your skis sideways on them you might hit the snow with tips/tails. But beginners usually just slide straight over them so whatever.

just dont do rails. 

11 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

I mean the box has a plastic surface, but there is a metal lip on each end that stops you even when you hit it flat. Good god, I'm too old to hit rails.

It's usually the teflon/plastic surface that slows you down.  

Metal ski edges on metal rail is VERY slicker than snot!

Sure it wasn't your ski base running along the rail?   That might be slow.

I'm waaay too old for rails anymore, although I still envision myself doing them, as I'm very jelly of those that can do them well.
Metal contacting flesh/bone is NOT my idea of fun!
However, watching others taking a beating entertains me.

Edited by indiggio

16 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

I mean the box has a plastic surface, but there is a metal lip on each end that stops you even when you hit it flat. Good god, I'm too old to hit rails.

What do you like about boxes?  I'm too old to hit jumps. Ten years ago I hit every small and medium jump I saw. 

22 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Lol, maybe I don't like them! They look like they should be fun, so I keep trying.

Do you just go straight on them or sideways??  I was only ever able to go straight on them. Jibbing a 32 ounce Gatorade bottle is fun for me.  I see boxes as a recipe for an awkward low speed fall. I should start doing them again since I already got my fall out of the way this season. 

21 hours ago, SallyCat said:

I really just want to hit little jumps so I can get better at popping, etc. Boxes look fun, but so far the friction has been unpredictable. 

Look to the sides of Main Street (sometimes Lazy) later in the morning and drop over the spine and pop off the lip back onto the trail to get your feet wet and practice.
That way you can pick the size of the jump you want and amount of air you want to get.   Then move up to the jumps on Come Around and/or Lower Park.

I don't like the way they make the landings at Blue's jumps, as they're too close and I always fly them and land on the flats.
Yeah, I know, slow down, but what fun is that!

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 1