Itching to buy it. Tell me not to!

eaf

While on the lift, the dude next to me noticed we both have the same boots.  He chats me up and goes on to tell me that my fat Mantras are slowing me down, and his "other" skis which are Volkl RTM 84's are the best ski to pair with my boots.  My first response was "you're fucking with me right" and he looked bewildered so I said "Salty??" and he didn't reply.  More confused then ever was the look on his face when I told him that I believe the RTM to be too intermediate of a ski for me, and I'd find it way too soft. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I dunno....since I haven't skied with you. best to take a lesson and see what the instructor has to say about your skill level and your gear set-up.
I don't know if the lesson suggestion will ever sink in. About five of us have now made that recommendation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, saltyant said:

It would definitely help, but honestly I can proficiently ski any hill in the Poconos

Is this year 2 of your skiing? Don't just take a lesson, take a LOT of lessons. If you don't you'll cement bad habits that will hold you back when you want to ski bumps or trees, or hit warp speed at Blue with the PASRs.

I worked my arse off last year, skiing whenever I could no matter the conditions. I took lessons, I did drills, nice people gave me advice, friends videoed me skiing so I could see ALL of my shortcomings, and I took more lessons. 

I'm nowhere near where I want to be, but I'm way closer than I was last year and I have SO much more fun. When I carve a beautiful turn I say a little mental "F YEAH!!"

To each his own and whatnot, but sking well a joy in itself.  If you settle for just getting down stuff with minimal competence you'll miss out on a deep well of fun and satsfaction.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

Because my fatties are a 27M fat titanium filled GS ski with enough rebound energy to send Volkl RTMs to the fucking moon.

Titanium? You wish. And really who doesn't have two layers of titanal these days? Your GS may send RTMs to the moon, but what does rebound energy have to do with width? The guy was probably amazed that someone wouldn't prefer skiing something narrower on hard snow that can be put on edge easier. That's all.

Anyway, I finally got here. Will go check the new foot of pow and cry sinking on my 67mm.

2 minutes ago, eaf said:

Titanium? You wish. And really who doesn't have two layers of titanal these days? Your GS may send RTMs to the moon, but what does rebound energy have to do with width? The guy was probably amazed that someone wouldn't prefer skiing something narrower on hard snow that can be put on edge easier. That's all.

Anyway, I finally got here. Will go check the new foot of pow and cry sinking on my 67mm.

What does rebound energy have to do with width?  Nothing.  Who cares how wide skis are?  Nobody says narrow skis suck, we're just defending our choice to ski wider skis.  I've been there, done that, with GS and SL skis at Blue.  Wider skis work in way more conditions, without any sacrifice.  Just my opinion.

im gonna go against the grain here and say don't waste money on lessons.  do you think i became the best skier on the mountain by taking lessons?  nope.  i simply strapped onto my board and rode down the hill, when i fell, i would get back up.  eventually after awhile i stopped falling.  skiing/snowboarding are like riding a bike...you just hop on and go.

1 hour ago, RootDKJ said:

While on the lift, the dude next to me noticed we both have the same boots.  He chats me up and goes on to tell me that my fat Mantras are slowing me down, and his "other" skis which are Volkl RTM 84's are the best ski to pair with my boots.  My first response was "you're fucking with me right" and he looked bewildered so I said "Salty??" and he didn't reply.  More confused then ever was the look on his face when I told him that I believe the RTM to be too intermediate of a ski for me, and I'd find it way too soft. 

Nah man, I was at work all day. This forum is so busy today I just started searching for "salty" to see who's taking my name in vain today. Fortunately this post isn't appear to be too much of a ding against me, so I'll award you with one like.

5 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Complete noobs ski every run in the poconos except maybe the elevator and white lightning. 

They do, but at least at CB, the double black is always mostly empty, whereas Honeymoon (green) is filled with wall-to-wall people at peak times. I have no idea how Blue compares.

Just now, saltyant said:

Buy new powder skis. Buy boot warmers. Buy a virtual coach. Pay for lessons. Buy longer skis. Jeez, you guys think I'm made of money or something.

$250 socks lolz.  i thought posters were joking posting that bullshit but they were serious lol.  i wouldnt be surprised if we see a PASR with real gold plated skis in the future