Help with Binding Mount Question?

SallyCat

2 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Just spoke to the shop; I'm going to send them back and they'll send me a  replacement pair. Just a bummer having to wait. 

Too bad. I was gonna ask for your feedback on them this weekend.

If you got them with only some discount like you've said, have you considered Renoun? Has got to be close in price.

33 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Got them online for a slight discount. Not worth it it seems. 

I don't necessarily care about resale, just not killing myself on sketchy bindings

Yep, this tells me I made the right decision to pay the extra $50 to buy them from a reputable shop. And I know far less about mounting bindings than SaltyCat.

6 minutes ago, eaf said:

If you got them with only some discount like you've said, have you considered Renoun? Has got to be close in price.

I demoed the RTM 84s a couple of times in different lengths. Just demoed the 2018s two weeks ago to be absolutely sure before I bought them. They are definitely the skis I want; love them. Saved up my $$ for a long time, sold some stuff, etc. and was finally able to afford them and now this. Boo. 

I feel like Homer Simpson when he tried to buy a gun (at "Bloodbath and Beyond") only to find there was a seven-day waiting period. "Seven days!? But I'm angry now." 

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I made the right decision to pay the extra $50 to buy them from a reputable shop

The shop has been great; they agreed to take them back immediately, shipping at their expense. The skis were brand new and wrapped in plastic, so the fault is Volkl's, not the shop's.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Yep, this tells me I made the right decision to pay the extra $50 to buy them from a reputable shop. And I know far less about mounting bindings than SaltyCat.

They're swapping the skis for her, what better support do you expect from a reputable shop?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

I demoed the RTM 84s a couple of times in different lengths. Just demoed the 2018s two weeks ago to be absolutely sure before I bought them. They are definitely the skis I want; love them. Saved up my $$ for a long time, sold some stuff, etc. and was finally able to afford them and now this. Boo. 

Still. Close to Renouns, and those can be tested for 100 days, so the point of you testing and liking RTMs doesn't apply. You could've tested Renouns whole season and then gotten on proven RTMs in spring if you didn't like them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eaf said:

lose to Renouns, and those can be tested for 100 days, so the point of you testing and liking RTMs doesn't apply. You could've tested Renouns whole season and then gotten on proven RTMs in spring if you didn't like them.

Cool, I didn't know that. I know some people who really like their Renouns. 

I ski on Atomic Vantage 90 ctis right now and I'm very happy with them--light and playful. The Volkls mean business. They are burlier, faster, and grippier. Having the two together I think will be a great combo.

15 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

I feel like Homer Simpson when he tried to buy a gun (at "Bloodbath and Beyond") only to find there was a seven-day waiting period. "Seven days!? But I'm angry now." 

Wow you bought the new model...is that the one Salty was talking about with the hologram or glass?  I honestly don't think I've ever bought a new model ski.  Just about always buy a year or two old model. 

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wow you bought the new model...is that the one Salty was talking about with the hologram or glass?  I honestly don't think I've ever bought a new model ski.  Just about always buy a year or two old model. 

Same here.

4 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

It's not a hologram. They just have the fiberglass layer turning up under the bindings to get some rigidity. Close to what Head does with graphene on M88. And an UVO attachment on the tips to dampen vibrations. Like those rubber dampeners on axles.

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wow you bought the new model...

Yeah last year's RTM 84s don't seem to depreciate; they cost almost as much as this year's so since I was going to spend a big chunk of cash anyway I figured I'd get the latest model. Like I said, I sold a bunch of stuff on Ebay, which added up to the price of the new skis, so it's even-steven. 

Except for having to wait forever.

I may still take them to Blue and see what the shop tech says. If he can get me on them tomorrow with whatever jury-rigging they can come up with,  I wouldn't care about resale value or anything I'd just be happy to be on those skis. 

7 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

What are the renouns and what's the 100 day thing Eaf is talking about?

Renouns are the new breed of skis from a tiny company that everybody's raving about elsewhere. Instead of going the usual route of overloading a ski with tons of metal and graphene to make it more stable, rigid and hence skiable at higher speeds, they loaded it with a non-newtonian polymer that's normally soft, but becomes stiffer when abused. This creates a ski that can be both soft and rigid, depending on how you drive it. You can carve slowly, you can fly fast. Hence all the hype. And they do have a 100-day no questions asked return policy.

Edited by eaf

2 minutes ago, eaf said:

Renouns are the new breed of skis from a tiny company that everybody's raving about elsewhere. Instead of going the usual route of overloading a ski with tons of metal and graphene to make it more stable, rigid and hence skiable at higher speeds, they loaded it with a non-newtonian polymer that's normally soft, but becomes stiffer when abused. This creates a ski that can be both soft and rigid, depending on how you drive it. You can carve slowly, you can fly fast. Hence all the hype. And they do have a 100-day no questions asked return policy.

Are you getting a pair? 

• Like 1