Help with Binding Mount Question?

SallyCat

Is that that stuff companies like G-Form and Demon make body armor (formerly known as "padding") out of now? D30 or something?

I have a spine protection vest and knee and elbow pads that are thin, light, and flexible, but they harden on impact so that when you fall, they offer a surprising amount of protection. 

2 minutes ago, indiggio said:

I beat the crap out of skis.  Nobody in their right mind would by any of my old skis.

How long have you had your oldest skis that you are on all the time and just replaced???  It's amazing how long skis last these days. Two decades ago skis often had delamination issues.  Ryan is still skiing on Toasts old Rossis which are a solid ten years old. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GSSucks said:

Are you getting a pair? 

LOL, no idea, honestly. They're awfully expensive, but take a look at @SallyCat, she justified buying a 2018 pair of 84mm RTMs, and it's only one step more toward justifying a Renoun.

Edited by eaf

2 minutes ago, eaf said:

LOL, no idea, honestly. They're awfully expensive, but take a look at @SallyCat, she justified buying a 2018 pair of 84mm RTMs, and it's only one step more toward justifying a Renon.

Since it seem like you have done quite a bit of research on them, how did they quantify 300% less chatter? Vibration sensors, or just marketing bullshit? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

How long have you had your oldest skis that you are on all the time and just replaced???  It's amazing how long skis last these days. Two decades ago skis often had delamination issues.  Ryan is still skiing on Toasts old Rossis which are a solid ten years old. 

He just bought a new pair and was out on them yesterday. He'll probably be on them this weekend (I hope)

1 minute ago, GSSucks said:

Since it seem like you have done quite a bit of research on them, how did they quantify 300% less chatter? Vibration sensors, or just marketing bullshit? 

It's interesting, right? They claim a number that's 10x more than what other companies claim when they talk about their improvements. No, I don't know how they measured it and if they ever measured it. Take a look at the video below. It's interesting to watch it by itself, just to see how skis are made in general, but something also tells me that those guys don't really have access to any lab equipment. What speaks in their favor are the reviews and their return policy.

I've seen a few interesting mentions of other companies dampening methods lately. E.g. some say that a university student tested the effect of Head's intellifibers in snowboards and found that instead of damping vibrations as they were supposed to, they only exacerbated them. On the other hand putting a dampening device (like that RTM UVO) indeed helps dampening first mode of vibrations around the bindings area and is indeed improving the edge grip.

1 hour ago, SallyCat said:

The shop has been great; they agreed to take them back immediately, shipping at their expense. The skis were brand new and wrapped in plastic, so the fault is Volkl's, not the shop's.

Whoops, my bad. I honestly did not intend to imply that the shop you bought them from wasn't reputable, although rereading my own post, that's how it came across.

What I meant to say was I'm glad I bought mine from a shop instead of online while also trying to mount the bindings myself, and I'm glad the shop that I bought them from was a reputable one.

I'm glad to hear the shop you bought your RTMs from is working with you and is willing to ship them back for free. This is one major reason I prefer brick and mortar shops instead of online for items that are bulky, expensive, and may cause life-altering injuries if set up improperly by an amateur like myself.

I'll accept one ding for this.

Edited by saltyant

Do people really think about resale value??  I bought Atomic jeffs old mantras for $200. Not a very good resale value on those. 

Good deal. I bought mine used for $350 several years earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, saltyant said:

What I meant to say was I'm glad I bought mine from a shop instead of online while also trying to mount the bindings myself, and I'm glad the shop that I bought them from was a reputable one.

True dat. I couldn't find a shop that had 172s in stock, so I went online.

54 minutes ago, eaf said:

hey're awfully expensive, but take a look at @SallyCat, she justified buying a 2018 pair of 84mm RTMs,

Ha ha, I'm not really justifying them--there's no justifying the price; I'm just saying I want them and was able to make it happen!

1 minute ago, eaf said:

There goes Sally's neighborhood.

?  I don't plank, nor do I ski on women's skis.

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Around 13 years or so, I think.

Edited by indiggio