Colorado late March?

Ski2Live Live2Ski

Wonder if it will be worth going out there March 24-28. So far it seems they have gotten about as much snow as my driveway this season. If I go the plan would be to fly to Denver and ski the front range with my kids over their spring break, a first time for them.

CO has a 5th graders ski free deal and I have a bunch of extra Frontier miles, but gotta wait and see what happens with this drought before I book.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

By then things should be more filled in...almost for certain. You might even get some pow days..I will warn that's a spring break time so could still be midwinter rates but not midwinter crowds.  Other option is jackson hole late this month 40% off for entitled season pass holders until 1/31 lol

By then things should be more filled in...almost for certain. You might even get some pow days..I will warn that's a spring break time so could still be midwinter rates but not midwinter crowds.  Other option is jackson hole late this month 40% off for entitled season pass holders until 1/31 lol

Its supposed to snow Wednesday Thursday and Friday in summit county. They've been getting some snow. 

• Like 1

Wonder if it will be worth going out there March 24-28. So far it seems they have gotten about as much snow as my driveway this season. If I go the plan would be to fly to Denver and ski the front range with my kids over their spring break, a first time for them.

CO has a 5th graders ski free deal and I have a bunch of extra Frontier miles, but gotta wait and see what happens with this drought before I book.

Oh just go! Conditions will be great but if you’re taking your kids who cares? They will have a blast and will talk about their first western trip for years.
  • Like 2

Booked the flights. 90k of Frontier miles to fly 3 people out of Philly on the 24th and back on the 27th. We will ski the 25th and 26th. 

Any thoughts on what the most kid/intermediate friendly mountains within 2 hours of DIA are. The kids are fine on PA blues, can handle some blacks, and even did a double black at Montage once this year, but I figure that translates to staying on all greens and blues in CO. This trip will be about skiing at their level, not mine. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Any thoughts on what the most kid/intermediate friendly mountains within 2 hours of DIA are. The kids are fine on PA blues, can handle some blacks, and even did a double black at Montage once this year, but I figure that translates to staying on all greens and blues in CO. This trip will be about skiing at their level, not mine. 

I would think Winter Park. 
When the wife and I used to go out, she liked the slopes there and is just green/blue/some black trail experienced around here.

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

Sorry I have no answers for you re terrain, but was wondering: do award tickets on Frontier include bags and seat choice and all the stuff they normally upcharge for?

No. We will rent stuff out there rather than pay the arm and leg to bring 3 sets of skis and boots.

Renting worked just fine for me last year.

2 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

No. We will rent stuff out there rather than pay the arm and leg to bring 3 sets of skis and boots.

Renting worked just fine for me last year.

Is renting three sets of skis, boots, poles really cost effective? Boots you can at least throw in your suitcase/carry on.

I vote copper..there are a lot of light blues for the kids and its a family friendly place. You don't have the dirtbags that you have at Abasin and Abasin is too challenging for most kids..You can either stay in the village or Dillon, Silverthorne or Frisco which are 1-2 exits down the interstate and have a lot of chain restaurants and chain hotels.  

• Like 1

I will price it out and see. Last year's I found a shop that at rented me skis boots and piles for $40 for 2 days, way less than RT baggage fees. Frontier charges even for carry on. Plus pain of carrying 3 people's boots and skis between cars and airports on both ends.. May also look into a company that will ship ski stuff to your hotel.

1 minute ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

I will price it out and see. Last year's I found a shop that at rented me skis boots and piles for $40 for 2 days, way less than RT baggage fees. Frontier charges even for carry on. Plus pain of carrying 3 people's boots and skis between cars and airports on both ends.. May also look into a company that will ship ski stuff to your hotel.

I could never use rental boots..rental skis sure.  

15 hours ago, theprogram4 said:

i would say keystone.  a lot of groomers and nothing too challenging that is lift serviced

Do not go to Keystone unless you want your kids run over by a bunch of yahoo snowboarders from Texas. That is the last place in CO I would take kids skiing greens and blues!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

Do not go to Keystone unless you want your kids run over by a bunch of yahoo snowboarders from Texas. That is the last place in CO I would take kids skiing greens and blues!

Appreciate the tip, and all the others above.

Most likely choosing between Copper and Winter Park. Sounds like both would be good choices based on folks comments above.

Winter Park being a bit lower altitude could be a plus, as one of my daughters threw up at high altitude a couple years ago when we were driving in CO in the summer, and there won't be lots of time to acclimate, arriving Sat late AM and skiing Sunday. Figure I will keep them on the lower altitude runs Sunday at least and maybe venture higher up on Monday.

Keystone is garbage lol.

id still go to cooper. Winterpark isnt all that great unless youre in the trees/mj.

breck would be a nicer option than winterpark if you dont mind a fake town and mad tourists. Id say they have more begginner stuff too

Edited by Shadows

• 2 weeks later...

Booked Winter Park. Got all but $60 of my 3 night hotel stay (Vintage Inn) paid for by credit card points and  redit card travel rebate, to go along with flying out on Frontier miles and the 5th graders ski free in Colorado deal. 

My expenses will be my tix, food, parking at airport, rentals, and either rental car or shuttle. Memories of CO skiing with kids will be priceless.

• Like 3