Trip Report - 1/7/2018

saltyant

Another rad day at Camelback. I missed First Trax for the second day in a row, since my bed was just too comfortable to get after it. I decided on a late start and arrived at 10:51. Surprisingly, there were plenty of parking spaces available near the Nastar Glen Lodge, so I was pretty stoked about that.

First run of the day was on Pocono Raceway. I aimed to practice carving and making wide "S" turns, but unfortunately the race teams took up half of Pocono Raceway, and also half of Rhododendron Glen, which is a trail nearly identical to Pocono Raceway. That was a little disappointing, since it would be better for most people (i.e. me) if they set up two racecourses on just one trail, and then left the other one empty for the general public.

Then I moved on to do a few runs on Cliffhanger, which was mad steezy and started forming tiny moguls (good news for all you mogul lovers). I find that moguls make runs unnecessarily difficult, so I then went to other black diamonds, and found The ASP and Marjie's to be in surprisingly excellent shape, a stark comparison to last night's ice fest on those two trails. The Rocket was fairly icy, but The Hump (opened this Saturday) was terrible! Practically nothing but wall to wall ice, with just a few small patches of sugary snow here and there.

The express lifts were operating better than last night, with far fewer stoppages. A worker explained they recently installed new cable on both express lifts, and because the cable is stretching, or something, a cable tension checking monitor keeps shutting down the lift. I have no idea why it can take several minutes to restart a lift because of that, but apparently the stoppages are forecasted to continue for the next one to two weeks.

Well, another successful day at Camelback, and I remembered to include some discussion of skiing in a skiing trip report today. If anyone of you is interested in what I ate, I'll provide full details.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Nice report the moguls sound rad. I'll let matt Edge know how Camelback is since he asked about it yesterday.  

Thanks. Let Matt Edge know that they got the mountain coaster up and running. I saw them inspecting it this morning from the Stevenson Lift, and also testing some empty mountain coaster cars.

Also, someone told me that they might put a ski trail in where the old alpine toboggan sled is, underneath the Sullivan Lift. That way Camelback will have a trail like Lower Sidewinder at Blue. Make sure you inform Matt Edge of this great news, and let him know about the moguls starting to form on Cliffhanger.

7 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Thanks. Let Matt Edge know that they got the mountain coaster up and running. I saw them inspecting it this morning from the Stevenson Lift, and also testing some empty mountain coaster cars.

Also, someone told me that they might put a ski trail in where the old alpine toboggan sled is, underneath the Sullivan Lift. That way Camelback will have a trail like Lower Sidewinder at Blue. Make sure you inform Matt Edge of this great news, and let him know about the moguls starting to form on Cliffhanger.

Hey Salty, your avatar says that you're a GS racer now. I think it's time we talk about some GS skis for the next season?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, eaf said:

Hey Salty, your avatar says that you're a GS racer now. I think it's time we talk about some GS skis for the next season?

Don't worry, you'll get there pretty soon. I think you need 800 posts or something, and soon you'll be at my level. I remember back to the gold old days when I was "Good Form".

I'll never reach "Gold Medalist" like GrilledSteezeSandwich, but a guy can still aspire to great accomplishments, right?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Don't worry, you'll get there pretty soon. I think you need 800 posts or something, and soon you'll be at my level. I remember back to the gold old days when I was "Good Form".

I'll never reach "Gold Medalist" like GrilledSteezeSandwich, but a guy can still aspire to great accomplishments, right?

I wonder what "PASR Supporter" means. Monetary involvement or parking lot BBQ initiative?

3 minutes ago, eaf said:

I wonder what "PASR Supporter" means. Monetary involvement or parking lot BBQ initiative?

No idea. I'm sure someone on here can give a solid explanation. I'm just seeing how long my "rad" tag lasts today.

Edited by saltyant

11 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I'm gonna try and get Salty into a race clinic, a mogul clinic, a ballet ski clinic and sign him up for some cooking classes at the local community college to make him more well rounded. 

I'd like to practice moguls, but I don't currently have any opportunities. Maybe someday. I keep working on short radius turns, and I can execute them on most blue slopes, but on blacks and steep blues I gain too much speed to make short turns in rapid succession.

Edited by saltyant

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

That old Alpine Slide was a blast even if it was a bit sketchy. 

6 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I've been on the old alpine slide at Camelback and also the alpine slide at Stowe.  

I rode the old one at Cameltoe, it was sketchy as hell, but you don't give a fuck when you're young.

Also rode the mountain coaster at Okemo when son was young.  I thought it was meh, but son enjoyed it. 
I never bothered to use the brake, since the cars can't fly off the track and would end up catching up to slow people in front.

10:51AM start not bad. That's the time the Jerrys arrive.  

This is somethibg id want to try...the alpine slide at Camelback was rad. When I was 9 years old I did it twice with my camp group and I liked it so much that I chose to go there for my birthday and got an all day pass.  That's when I first started getting into elevations and vertical drops and what not.  Previously it was a foreign concept. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

10:51AM start not bad. That's the time the Jerrys arrive.  

Fortunately it didn't make much of a difference Yesterday, except for the icy conditions on some of the steeps. The crowds were surprisingly very thin. Now next weekend I'm getting there for 7:30 each day to get after it, because it's going to be a zoo.

Edited by saltyant

6 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Fortunately it didn't make much of a difference Yesterday, except for the icy conditions on some of the steeps. The crowds were surprisingly very thin. Now next weekend I'm getting there for 7:30 each day to get after it, because it's going to be a zoo.

Yeah warmer weather and Doc martins day weekend..on days where I don't have work I need that fresh cord and uncrowded early runs...I do take some epic naps on ski days..

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

7 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Yeah warmer weather and Doc martins day weekend..on days where I don't have work I need that fresh cord and uncrowded early runs...I do take some epic naps on ski days..

Yep. So far I haven't seen any lines at any of the fixed gripped lifts at CB, so my game plan is to hit the HSQs early on and then switch to the fixed gripped lifts later in the day. 

22 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Salty you should try out to be a ski patroller at Blue. 

That sounds fun. He'll then have a legal right to chase you down the mountain. And if his GPS doesn't lie, he'll do it with ease.