Look SPX 12 - OK or terrible?

eaf

I've run into a deal of a ski I want bundled with Look SPX 12.

Now, SPX wouldn't be a binding of my choice, I know some people like Pivots here, I would go for Attack 13 demo, but neither is the option.

Are SPXs OK in general, or should I rather stay away from them?

13 minutes ago, mbike-ski said:

i'd never do a demo binding again. the look demo;s on my sultans had so much play after a a season or two it's scary - i think they're only designed to last a season

I've never seen a binding with more play than my Markers!
I'll never buy them again.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

What ski?

SPX is the newer PX?  No worries with that binding.

Monster 83, 177 for $330. I'd go for the one I tried, i.e. 88, but that comes $200-$300 more no matter where you look. And this looks like a steal, really allowing me to just get it and continue lazily testing/looking for other interesting stuff.

Edited by eaf
  • Like 2

I don't think it's something new though. I see there is an SPX 12 WTR Dual on look's website, but the stuff I'm talking about is this: https://www.evo.com/outlet/alpine-ski-bindings/look-spx-12-2015

Good. I just put those on my skinny all mountain skis. Pivots are always a solid choice but I’ve always had Look/Rossi SPX models and they’ve treated me and my knees well.

4645a169922910b3b3f0a4f653f6ee34.jpg

58971c052151179237f1623332eb0d59.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Im a look/rossi fan as well. I think only an alien would want to put a demo binding on a new ski. That makes no sense to me. It doesnt make much sense to me either that you are going to buy this ski, but you really want the wider one.  Whatever. Jlaws comment is priceless. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Good. I just put those on my skinny all mountain skis. Pivots are always a solid choice but I’ve always had Look/Rossi SPX models and they’ve treated me and my knees well.

Goody. Will axial2 pattern work? https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=189958&d=1476174040

8 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Im a look/rossi fan as well. I think only an alien would want to put a demo binding on a new ski. That makes no sense to me. It doesnt make much sense to me either that you are going to buy this ski, but you really want the wider one.  Whatever. Jlaws comment is priceless. 

I don't want a wider one. I'd prefer to buy something I've tried, but from all the other reviews it's clear that 83 behaves as well as 88, it's a little bit more frontside oriented and is as stable and crud resistant as 88. Plus it has a tad higher radius than 88.

This case is also unlike other manufacturers when narrower skis have different construction and are somewhat weaker (like RTMs). 83 and 88 have identical guts.

Edited by eaf

Just now, toast21602 said:

I’d assume so. I’m not sure the pattern has changed for those in quite some time. I’d have to check with my ski tech.

I'm confused. You had those bindings mounted elsewhere, you used a jig, or just had some old pattern handy that you can't trace back to the online sources?

5 minutes ago, eaf said:

I'm jealous of his personal ski tech. I don't even have a gardener yet.

I also have a personal ski tech and a different person who Toast might know mounted the bindings on my Shiros

shit on sausage Sundays it's like we have our own personal caterer..we have beer industry people and even a Cough cough jesus

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I also have a personal ski tech and a different person who Toast might know mounted the bindings on my Shiros

shit on sausage Sundays it's like we have our own personal caterer..we have beer industry people and even a Mary Jane Jesus 

Yeah, this is a board of riches, I start getting it. Some nice Kastles, some rare and antique Mantras, now a personal tech and a caterer, there is no way I'm good enough for this.

16 minutes ago, eaf said:

Yeah, this is a board of riches, I start getting it. Some nice Kastles, some rare and antique Mantras, now a personal tech and a caterer, there is no way I'm good enough for this.

You're fine...your curiosity is refreshing plus with Salty you don't sound like as much of a gaper. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1