01/10 - Mountain Creek. Wow.

eaf

Frankly I haven't been too fond of MC before... Snow is often not too good, it's warmer than everywhere else, the peaks often become disconnected because of snow again, but today certainly is great!

Kinda early spring conditions with wettish snow, but no slush. Three peaks to choose from, Bear peak is almost completely taken by racers. There are tons of them today.

Whoever said that it's a loooong walk to the lodge, you chose wrong parking! Next time go to South lot. Lodge is right across the road with two expresses immediately behind.

I completely forgot what the terrain looks like! Got to study the map again.

They have since upgraded the ticketing to use RFID, and it appears to be identical to Blue's.

IMG_20180110_152033.jpg

IMG_20180110_153350.jpg

IMG_20180110_155202.jpg

• Like 1

Well, minus one peak for me. It seems like there is no trail down from South peak that wouldn't have at least some park features installed at some point. Im certainly an alien here on my skis.

Was wrong about snow. It may be wettish at the bottom, by is alright on the slopes. On the soft side, no ice peaking through.

Damn. My memories are starting to come back. The connecting double lift is the longest and slowest lift ever!!

I remember I liked riding it on weekends because it's going through the woods with no slopes and skiers in sights. And you do get tired of crowds at some point here. Sloooow and meditative. Just don't drop anything down. You'll never be able to hike back.

21 minutes ago, eaf said:

Whoever said that it's a loooong walk to the lodge, you chose wrong parking! Next time go to South lot. Lodge is right across the road with two expresses immediately behind.

South Peak didn’t have enough snow to open it right after they got 18” of new snow. 

South often is not running at night or in March. 

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wow looks like some serious big mountain skiing.  Would be cool to ski in New Jersey but honestly the garden state isn't just a state but a state of mind. 

Oh yeah. Riding gondolas with girls 

IMG_20180110_171124.jpg

The third peak us as good as I remember it except even better. Everything is open, between Vernon and Granite peaks there is a gazillion of intricate trails and I keep getting lost and coming to the wrong lift. 

Gondolas are a little annoying, and the alternative isn't running tonight.

This is definitely not a mountain for salty. He would die of exertion on his way back to South. The trail that parallels the 15 minute lift is almost a cross country trail.

I'm gonna check if the racers are finally done and then go ride the fourth Bear peak.

This is a great year for MC. I've never seen it with so much terrain open, and snow being this good.

One trail is gone, yeah, its not even in the map anymore. Locals say it's because if some pipeline crossing it.

Hopefully the conditions will stay.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

1) not nearby

2) not better

Right now it's real good. Yeah, on average it's worse than CB, but this year... unbelievable. And it's more interesting to ski it than BM because the trails and connections are interesting, slope constantly varies. It's just fun.

2 minutes ago, eaf said:

Right now it's real good. Yeah, on average it's worse than CB, but this year... unbelievable. And it's more interesting to ski it than BM because the trails and connections are interesting, slope constantly varies. It's just fun.

Are there any runs like Razors Edge or nightmare to dreamweaver?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

What do you mean by connections??

I mean that the trails are merging and crossing all the time. The map seems straightforward, but I get the opposite feeling from skiing the actual mountain.

It's not just a straight trail down all the way where you can often see where the trail ends right from the top of the mountain. This makes skiing fun. It's not technical anymore it's recreational I'm the best sense of it.

But that only works when they're open 100% I guess.

Edited by eaf

31 minutes ago, eaf said:

This is definitely not a mountain for salty. He would die of exertion on his way back to South. The trail that parallels the 15 minute lift is almost a cross country trail

I agree, that sounds awful. That's one major reason I like CB so much; hardly any flat terrain that requires a lot of exertion when they're fully open. The Stevenson side is amazing and zero effort is required at all! I believe Blue is similar but haven't hit every trail there yet to know for sure.

Gondolas are fun! I love riding the gondies at Killington. My favorite is the very end of Great Eastern when I get the Skyeship Stage 1 Gondola all to myself.

Edited by saltyant