01/10 - Mountain Creek. Wow.

eaf

18 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Do you park at the top?  I'm heading up in a few. 

Yeah, I'm looping the quad right now. I'll look for your Mantras, and you can hopefully spot a set of red shorties.

I'll stop posting here for the night. This thread is about how awesome MC was yesterday, not how I'm suddenly skiing in spring today.

Just now, eaf said:

Yeah, I'm looping the quad right now. I'll look for your Mantras, and you can hopefully spot a set of red shorties.

I'll stop posting here for the night. This thread is about how awesome MC was yesterday, not how I'm suddenly skiing in spring today.

With all the mashed potatoes, just look for the guy with his junk out.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 1/10/2018 at 6:30 PM, saltyant said:

That's one major reason I like CB so much; hardly any flat terrain that requires a lot of exertion when they're fully open.

False. From the Stevenson lift it's a pain in the ass hike to any other lift. Yeah, you can wait on line again, go to the top and take the stupid Ceasar/Marc Antony "trail" that 's just a narrow cat-track then to Honeymoon which is icy and full of beginners flailing around unpredictably until you get to the flat runout. It's an entire run that's just an annoying commute. 

The only thing comparable at Blue is if you park at the top, you have to skate across the Vista trail to get back to the upper lodge. 

Also heated bubble chairs > than gondolas. You don't have to waste time getting your skis off and on and you're still sheltered during the ride. 

6 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

False. From the Stevenson lift it's a pain in the ass hike to any other lift. Yeah, you can wait on line again, go to the top and take the stupid Ceasar/Marc Antony "trail" that 's just a narrow cat-track then to Honeymoon which is icy and full of beginners flailing around unpredictably until you get to the flat runout. It's an entire run that's just an annoying commute.

I'm super lazy when it comes to skiing, and honestly getting from Stevenson to Sullivan doesn't bother me one bit. The Caesar trail isn't so bad, but yes it requires a little effort.

What I really like about the Stevenson side is in the morning, when there's no line, you can take 3 different trails which are all 100% downhill from the top of the lift, and then get right back on the lift without any effort.

Edit: Yes, I know Blue is equally good in this respect, but I believe I was comparing CB to MC, not CB to BM.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:00 PM, eaf said:

One trail is gone, yeah, its not even in the map anymore. Locals say it's because if some pipeline crossing it.

Too bad that one trail (Pipeline) was the best thing there- one reason I hardly ever go anymore. They've had it in their sights for a while imho. First they got rid of the lower section to make way for condos, now the upper section due to a pipeline? I don't doubt that's what they told you but it just doesn't pass the smell test for me. I will say they do have a decent snowmaking system- if this season continues to be this crappy I might be forced make a visit...but weekday only.

Edited by Jersey Tomato

4 minutes ago, Jersey Tomato said:

if this season continues to be this crappy I might be forced make a visit...but weekday only.

Eh? Why is this season crappy? And why would you go to MC during a crappy season? Should be the opposite.

10 minutes ago, eaf said:

Eh? Why is this season crappy? And why would you go to MC during a crappy season? Should be the opposite.

Crappy natural conditions I meant, sorry. Places that have better snowmaking/grooming systems built to withstand this weather provide more reliable conditions imho, e.g. MC & Pa.

Hopefully the next 7 weeks will deliver some natural.

22 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I remember how much Eaf loved Mountain creek. So many trail intersections it’s like those choose your own adventure books from the 80s

If you think of it, MC's map has quite a variety of trails. Just the fact that there are three peaks makes it interesting to explore. The peaks also have a theme to them, so you'd expect most of the boarders to congregate around South Peak, and all racers and schools will rarely spill beyond Bear Peak.

22 hours ago, Jersey Tomato said:

Places that have better snowmaking/grooming systems built to withstand this weather provide more reliable conditions imho, e.g. MC & Pa.

That's actually the first time I hear that MC has a better snowmaking system. I know BM snowmakers like to brag a lot about how they can take advantage of every opportunity to make more snow (and yet CB got ahead this year)... IMHO, with MC it all boils down to warmer temps than across the Delaware river. They can only make snow if it's below freezing, and so if it's not, great snowmaking system or not, it's not gonna matter. Last year they had a total meltdown soon after offering new season passes.

But yeah, $229 for an unrestricted pass is hard to beat.

39 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

$229 pass is quite a deal. Too bad I find MC such a dull place to ski. 

Nahhh, that's just unfair. MC is anything but dull. Yeah, coverage may be lacking sometimes, NYC buses may be coming at night, but it has more trail variety than some nearby PA mountains.

5 minutes ago, eaf said:

Nahhh, that's just unfair. MC is anything but dull. Yeah, coverage may be lacking sometimes, NYC buses may be coming at night, but it has more trail variety than some nearby PA mountains.

Honestly I found pipeline was the only trail that generated any adrenaline and it is gone now. The Cabriolet is the most annoying lift on the planet - combining taking off your skis, standing, and being in the wind. Even when I lived 45 min away and anywhere better was 2 to 3 times as far, I never made it there more than twice a season., and would as often go to Hidden Valley a mile away.

I'd get 3 value passes at CB for the same price and get a lot more enjoyment put of them.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski