Weekend roll call thread 1/13-1/14

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Sounds like it's going to be a spicy drive up tomorrow morning. 
Calling for freezing rain....sucks!

Yeah I’m not sure about that though. It is so warm today I don’t know if the ground will be cold enough even with the temps dropping. Hopefully it’s okay to drive up. Ice is the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, toast21602 said:

Yeah I’m not sure about that though. It is so warm today I don’t know if the ground will be cold enough even with the temps dropping. Hopefully it’s okay to drive up. Ice is the worst.

Hopefully PennDOT gets out prior and treats the roads.

25 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually gonna agree with Toast and looks like precip will have moved out by ski time tomorrow.  It will be windy tomorrow and cold Sunday..

13 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

I'm fairly work-free from now through Tuesday and will ski as much as possible. Dunno about tomorrow--what're the odds of it being a big sheet of ice?  Guess I'll have to go up and see. 

Groomed frozen granular. Shouldn't stop you from skiing. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Groomed frozen granular. Shouldn't stop you from skiing. 

Thanks!

I'm sorely tempted to get out the bike and ride the Trex trails tomorrow, followed by a zen jump-shot session in the school's empty gym. 

I'll change my mind 30 times between now and the morning. 

Just now, SallyCat said:

Thanks!

I'm sorely tempted to get out the bike and ride the Trex trails tomorrow, followed by a zen jump-shot session in the school's empty gym. 

I'll change my mind 30 times between now and the morning. 

Would the mountain bike trails be icy or muddy??  Basketball over skiing lol. Ok. Anyway ski conditions are never bad enough for a season passholders to at least check it out and see how it is.  

Frozen Granular (FG) - This is often a misunderstood surface condition. Frozen granular is a hard surface of old snow formed by granules freezing together after a rain or warm temperatures. Frozen Granular will support a ski pole stuck into the surface. In contrast, ice will not support the pole. Frozen granular often does return to Loose Granular after proper machine grooming.

4 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Frozen Granular (FG) - This is often a misunderstood surface condition. Frozen granular is a hard surface of old snow formed by granules freezing together after a rain or warm temperatures. Frozen Granular will support a ski pole stuck into the surface. In contrast, ice will not support the pole. Frozen granular often does return to Loose Granular after proper machine grooming.

Loose granular is the sugary snow that goobers call powdery. Anyway we live in an area of the country with some of the worst skiing conditions so might as well learn to ski every condition..you don't have to be a pro but it's good to be competent in various snow surfaces. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Basketball over skiing lol. Ok. Anyway ski conditions are never bad enough for a season passholders to at least check it out and see how it is.  

True. And all my bike stuff is packed away for the winter; would be a pain in the arse to get it out.  Maybe I could score a job somewhere that has a climate that allows for skiing and mountain biking in the same day. 

36 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Loose granular is the sugary snow that goobers call powdery. Anyway we live in an area of the country with some of the worst skiing conditions so might as well learn to ski every condition..you don't have to be a pro but it's good to be competent in various snow surfaces. 

If you can Ski The East, you can ski anywhere!

28 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

True. And all my bike stuff is packed away for the winter; would be a pain in the arse to get it out.  Maybe I could score a job somewhere that has a climate that allows for skiing and mountain biking in the same day. 

That can be done around here, just have to wait until March!

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Ok, ok! Skiing it is!

Tough life. 

Before I started skiing, I hated winter. I absolutely detested it. When I went to Hilton Head, SC in January and was able to ride a bike in 40 degree weather with no snow around, it was paradise to me.

Now I love winter since I started skiing, and I want it to be cold in winter and warm in summer. These warm temperatures in winter are slightly depressing.

Once it gets really mashed potato-ey out there, I might bag skiing and start asking GSSucks which road bike I should get.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Once it gets really mashed potato-ey out there, I might bag skiing and start asking GSSucks which road bike I should get.

Soft spring snow is a BLAST. You just have to pay a little attention to waxing carefully.  Last year my last ski day was July 3 at Mammoth.

Everyone says "the snow is heavy, it's warm, you really need to slow down in the spring." Fuck that. I came here from Louisiana: it's NOT hot here in April, heavy snow makes everyone a hero, and what's not to like about soft bumps and beer on the patio!? I like to finish the season sunburned, broke, and exhausted. 

And YAAAAAAAAAAAAS to loving winter thanks to skiing!

• Like 4