The true mountain... 1-11

RidgeRacer

1 minute ago, theprogram4 said:

no shit.  im just curious why he's taking a shot at me for no reason, considering i was defending him in the MC thread

Oh come on. It was a compliment. And I expected more of this thread after so vivid and detailed report of GSS troubles and really good skiing. Yet it died around second page.

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

What had me laughing so hard is that I heard that near the end of every run Salty holds both of hi poles in the same hand...Jerry of the year!!

Well, I realized yesterday where he got his habit of skiing on one ski in the beginning of each run ;)

5 minutes ago, eaf said:

Parking at the top is the way to do it! Less driving, cozier lodge, and everybody who needs a lesson is intercepted and rerouted to the valley. And hey, restrooms are cleaner too ;) 

Do people actually use the lodges???  Shit most of the PASRs don't even use the restrooms.  It's nice when you want to leave to be able to ski right back to your car.  I prefer to not have to go inside at all if I can help it.  Plus we have a hell of a tailgating scene in the lower lot.  

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Do people actually use the lodges???  Shit most of the PASRs don't even use the restrooms.  It's nice when you want to leave to be able to ski right back to your car.  I prefer to not have to go inside at all if I can help it.  Plus we have a hell of a tailgating scene in the lower lot.  

Well, if you ski for the whole day it's nice to be able to stop somewhere and have a lunch. You don't have to sit inside, if it's not too cold, they have decent sitting area with fireplace and a bar on top. Even without bar, they have ice inside, and I used to just bring rum with me. Skiing was sooo much better after a break like this. Beer is what I wouldn't drink for sure. Forces an early come back to the lodge. 

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I believe that's the first time I've done that all season.  Anyway I think Salty is way too stubborn to take antibodies advice. 

I think he's coming to BM mostly because of you. Not you in particular, but you as a group. He couldn't get off his phone while skiing with me and it was pretty obvious that he'd rather wait on top of the 6-pack for more company than be on a quad where chances of meeting others seemed slim.

1 minute ago, eaf said:

Well, if you ski for the whole day it's nice to be able to stop somewhere and have a lunch. You don't have to sit inside, if it's not too cold, they have decent sitting area with fireplace and a bar on top. Even without bar, they have ice inside, and I used to just bring rum with me. Skiing was sooo much better after a break like this. Beer is what I wouldn't drink for sure. Forces an early come back to the lodge. 

What did you have to eat last night at Blue??  When I was a newer skier I'd eat in the cafeteria every time I skied.  I guess you're right about if you ski a full day you wanna stop and get food.  Do you use ski check?  

1 minute ago, eaf said:

I think he's coming to BM mostly because of you. Not you in particular, but you as a group. He couldn't get off his phone while skiing with me and it was pretty obvious that he'd rather wait on top of the 6-pack for more company than be on a quad where chances of meeting others seemed slim.

#Truth and Salty is definitely a big GSS fan..I don't blame him as I'm pretty awesome. He needs to get off his freaking phone though.  Skiing is my phone free time...

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Hi Shadows...gonna be fast snow tomorrow morning. 

It's gonna be NO snow tomorrow morning. At least around here. I had FIOS install rescheduled because everything was buried under huge piles of snow, and now it's all almost completely gone.:(

1 minute ago, eaf said:

It's gonna be NO snow tomorrow morning. At least around here. I had FIOS install rescheduled because everything was buried under huge piles of snow, and now it's all almost completely gone.:(

I'm talking about at Blue mountain.  Unless you have a ski area in your backyard I wouldn't be sad about your local snow loss.  Enjoy today's warmth 

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I'm talking about at Blue mountain.  Unless you have a ski area in your backyard I wouldn't be sad about your local snow loss.  Enjoy today's warmth 

Once in a blue moon we have a giant skating rink almost right in the backyard. It's a retention basin. One year it first snowed and rained quite a lot, and then suddenly it all froze, and froze real well. So we ended up with a skating rink the size of a soccer field. All nice, level and smooth. Had a blast for a few days.

10 minutes ago, eaf said:

Once in a blue moon we have a giant skating rink almost right in the backyard. It's a retention basin. One year it first snowed and rained quite a lot, and then suddenly it all froze, and froze real well. So we ended up with a skating rink the size of a soccer field. All nice, level and smooth. Had a blast for a few days.

Nice do you have hockey skates or figure skates??

So, @AtomicSkier has mentioned an interesting thing yesterday.

Once upon a time there was an open minded group of people that roamed around PA mountains enjoying skiing all over the place. They didn't care too much whether it was JF, CB, BM  or perhaps even MC and hated when moderators on a CB forum were removing each and every post that had even the slightest mention of BM.

So that group got fed up by the censorship and formed a forum, not unlike this one, where they could talk about anything, but the talk was of course ski-centered. Due to its openness the forum got so much traction that there were hundreds of people following it. At the peak of its popularity members were handed out free tickets to some mountains and then would show up in pretty big crowds, like 50 people a time, were given private rooms in lodges to hang out, and those days were the original glorious PASR days.

Then some got married, some had injuries, some just got tired of skiing, the hypnotizing blue light has pushed all but one mountain in the shadow, and whoever was not with the light had to be against it, and chose to stop posting. The remnants of that forum still have all those other mountains listed on it, but invariably the conversation in each and every thread rotates about the light, the true blue light that lights the path for the few remaining ones.

Now, I wasn't really paying attention too much, as I was still digesting the previous conversation about JH, and may have gotten many things wrong, but the story just fascinates me. Wow, just Wow, as GSS likes to say.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

35 minutes ago, eaf said:

Yeah, Switchback is open.  I went over there on Wednesday and I laughed at all the yellow holes.