Trip Report: Bethlehem 1/13/18 with Pics

SallyCat

18 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

Not saying anything bad. It's a lot more advanced than anything I would have written in high school. 

Gotcha; I was worried it might seem like I was making fun of students, etc.

I actually didn't like history at all in high school. Got to college and had great profs and interesting courses and was hooked!

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I would be irritated by the way you spell Pleeeeze lol.

It's cool, I've joked around with them in class about it, so she knows I'm kidding. I also always identify anything I spill on their papers. 

5a5b33da10897_KungPao.thumb.jpg.9851a478f984ec0c0f0cd86bb9d11a5b.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RidgeRacer said:

Sally you're the "cool" teacher in the grade aren't you?

I'm well-liked, I think largely because I don't try to be cool. :-)

1 hour ago, RidgeRacer said:

57 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

I hated history in high school, but I have a real appreciation for it now. 

I can't even tell you how often I hear that. 

47 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

If only I had an ounce of maturity back in HS like Sally's students do. When I was a sophomore I was too busy making "Homey the Clown" references and doing shit like joining drama club to "get girls". Needless to say that didn't pan out. Haha.

Hey, we all bloom in our own time. In 12th grade I quit varsity b-ball and all my other activities and devoted myself to following the Grateful Dead as much as possible. Real good plan, right?

• Like 2

I used to do a lot of school work(architectural/ construction) and always thought it’s too bad all this good stuff is wasted on kids.... but then again 8th grade was easier the first time, kicked my ass successively with each of 3 kids.... still trying to reconcile my orthodox faith in digital age- God FTW!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

5 hours ago, SallyCat said:

Hey, we all bloom in our own time. In 12th grade I quit varsity b-ball and all my other activities and devoted myself to following the Grateful Dead as much as possible. Real good plan, right?

I had so many friends in high school that did that(follow the Dead)..it pretty much ruined any chance of me liking the Dead...

Haha that came up in the lot today - people’s express got me $29 fares to see shows in Buffalo , Boston, new haven- flying high with cap’n Jerry!

On 1/14/2018 at 4:11 AM, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I would be irritated by the way you spell Pleeeeze lol. I don't think I ever wrote about the Bible before and alas it is capitalized. Just make sure these kids don't major in history if they want to get a good job.  

Why?  A number of people with whom I went to college majored in history and went on to become quite successful lawyers.

Why?  A number of people with whom I went to college majored in history and went on to become quite successful lawyers.

Honestly if I had to do it again I'd major in history or tourism. Two things I enjoy. My school started the travel / tourism program in my senior year and by that point it was too late.

17 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Honestly if I had to do it again I'd major in history or tourism. Two things I enjoy. My school started the travel / tourism program in my senior year and by that point it was too late.

Anthropology or medical technology for me. 

• Like 1

I really think that at 18 or 19 (usually when you're selecting what to major in) you're way too young and naive to know what the hell you want to do with the rest of your life. Shit at that age I was listening to the freaking "jerkey boys" thinking that I could possibly make a living recording prank calls and it releasing worldwide

• Like 3

3 hours ago, indiggio said:

Like half of people who go to law school don't even practice law.  If a parent is paying $100,000+ for their child's education or the kid is taking out a silly amount of loans I'd recommend they major in something where there are jobs...with a degree in history you better be good at waiting tables...shit I was a business major and that's not that good unless you are specializing in accounting or MIS..most of it is just common sense. 

6 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

with a degree in history you better be good at waiting tables..

My oldest best friend was a history major. Graduated, did a Peace Corps stint, and then got an AMEX internship. Now he's COO of a hedge fund in Los Angeles. He makes a tiny bit more money than me, but I like my job a whole lot better than he likes his.  I have a nephew who's getting his PhD in Korean linguistics at Busan National University largely on South Korea's dime. He was a gamer who got interested in Asian cultures in high school and just followed his interest from Japan to Korea and from mathematics to linguistics. He's going to have all kinds of opportunities when he graduates and he loves what he does. 

Almost any major can lead you to occupations you aren't even aware of in college. Unless you're on track for med school or engineering or something like that, it's not necessary to treat college as vocational training (though it's understandable, given the bonkers  cost of a 4-year degree).  It's often better to follow a genuine interest and see where it leads, because chances are there's a career niche to be had or made that will be satisfying and interesting as well as paying the mortgage. I'm not convinced that the world needs to keep churning out hundreds of thousands of business majors. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

My oldest best friend was a history major. Graduated, did a Peace Corps stint, and then got an AMEX internship. Now he's COO of a hedge fund in Los Angeles. He makes a tiny bit more money than me, but I like my job a whole lot better than he likes his.  I have a nephew who's getting his PhD in Korean linguistics at Busan National University largely on South Korea's dime. He was a gamer who got interested in Asian cultures in high school and just followed his interest from Japan to Korea and from mathematics to linguistics. He's going to have all kinds of opportunities when he graduates and he loves what he does. 

Almost any major can lead you to occupations you aren't even aware of in college. Unless you're on track for med school or engineering or something like that, it's not necessary to treat college as vocational training (though it's understandable, given the bonkers  cost of a 4-year degree).  It's often better to follow a genuine interest and see where it leads, because chances are there's a career niche to be had or made that will be satisfying and interesting as well as paying the mortgage. I'm not convinced that the world needs to keep churning out hundreds of thousands of business majors. 

Majoring in business is a lot easier than majoring in STEM...majoring in the liberal arts is even easier...I honestly thing too many people go to college.  It used to be that college was just for the smart or wealthy..now its for everybody..so many people start college and don't finish.  Most of the muhlenberg college students I've met over the years major in Psychology and theater...they mostly end back up at their parents house after graduation but most of their parents have really nice houses. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

Majoring in business is a lot easier than majoring in STEM...majoring in the liberal arts is even easier...I honestly thing too many people go to college.  It used to be that college was just for the smart or wealthy..now its for everybody..so many people start college and don't finish.  Most of the muhlenberg college students I've met over the years major in Psychology and theater...they mostly end back up at their parents house after graduation but most of their parents have really nice houses. 

Maybe it’s just the people you hang out with. 97% of graduates from my college get jobs or are enrolled in graduate studies within 6 months of graduating. Pretty damn good for the overly criticized liberal arts. I’ve never had a student who didn’t have a job lined up before graduation, many have strong leads right now.