Trip Report: Bethlehem 1/13/18 with Pics

SallyCat

13 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Maybe it’s just the people you hang out with. 97% of graduates from my college get jobs or are enrolled in graduate studies within 6 months of graduating. Pretty damn good for the overly criticized liberal arts. I’ve never had a student who didn’t have a job lined up before graduation, many have strong leads right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aren't your students studying a field that has a lot of jobs??

Maybe it’s just the people you hang out with. 97% of graduates from my college get jobs or are enrolled in graduate studies within 6 months of graduating. Pretty damn good for the overly criticized liberal arts. I’ve never had a student who didn’t have a job lined up before graduation, many have strong leads right now.

I was wrong. 98%.

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Majoring in business is a lot easier than majoring in STEM...majoring in the liberal arts is even easier...I honestly thing too many people go to college.  It used to be that college was just for the smart or wealthy..now its for everybody..so many people start college and don't finish.  Most of the muhlenberg college students I've met over the years major in Psychology and theater...they mostly end back up at their parents house after graduation but most of their parents have really nice houses. 

Business major back in my time was the fallback major for those that couldn't handle the rigors of an accounting major.

I majored in criminal justice. I thought it was the coolest thing back in college. After working in that field post graduation (and making peanuts) I quickly realized that what I thought would be fun and exciting wasn't and got out. Now with my oldest getting ready to make these decisions, I'm going to be damn sure that she's aware of the importance behind her decision (don't do what I did) and guide her as best as I can; but ultimately the decision is hers. The good thing is she's a lot more mature than I was back then so I'm certain that whatever she decides will stick.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Business major back in my time was the fallback major for those that couldn't handle the rigors of an accounting major.

Yup I was gonna do a finance concentration and fell back into marketing.  I almost went the Wall Street route but didn't want to work 70-80 hours a week so ended up working at the Allentown Merrill lynch for a year before a moved to Montana and became a skibum.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

I majored in criminal justice. I thought it was the coolest thing back in college. After working in that field post graduation (and making peanuts) I quickly realized that what I thought would be fun and exciting wasn't and got out. Now with my oldest getting ready to make these decisions, I'm going to be damn sure that she's aware of the importance behind her decision (don't do what I did) and guide her as best as I can; but ultimately the decision is hers. The good thing is she's a lot more mature than I was back then so I'm certain that whatever she decides will stick.

were you a police officer?? Corrections officer??

3 hours ago, SallyCat said:

Now he's COO of a hedge fund in Los Angeles. He makes a tiny bit more money than me, but I like my job a whole lot better than he likes his.

Are you serious? Someone in financial sector makes only a tiny bit more money than a teacher?

15 minutes ago, eaf said:

Are you serious? Someone in financial sector makes only a tiny bit more money than a teacher?

*Sarcasm..I'm sure he makes 20 times as much.  If I made that kind of money I'd just work like two years and retire although people that make a lot of money often have fancy lifestyles to go along with it. 

4 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

..I honestly thing too many people go to college.  It used to be that college was just for the smart or wealthy..now its for everybody..

There are many, many ways to be smart. I think we devalue manual-labor professions and that's a shame. I know lots of kids who are hands-on problem solvers for whom a job as a mechanic or something similar would be an awesome fit, but lordy, if one of our kids didn't go the college route.,. I mean, how would that look!?  I sponsor a school club run by a boy who is mad for bicycle repair. He and five friends find and rehab old bikes and donate them. The boy who runs the activity is an amazingly talented wrench and a good teacher to the other boys. I would hate to see him give up his passion and talent and major in psych or whatever

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, indiggio said:

this is 100% accurate.  i wish somebody had told 18 year old TP4 that a general business degree is essentially worthless.  hell, a bachelors's degree outside of STEM fields is pretty worthless other than a prerequisite for grad school

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theprogram4 said:

this is 100% accurate.  i wish somebody had told 18 year old TP4 that a general business degree is essentially worthless.  hell, a bachelors's degree outside of STEM fields is pretty worthless other than a prerequisite for grad school

Truth...my sister is a college counselor at an affluent high school and she encourages the kids to pursue their dreams.  When I mentioned that only STEM majors make any money upon graduation she looked at me like I was an alien yet she was an art history major and made like $10 an hour her first job at the Philadelphia art museum and had to get a masters to make a teachers salary. Shits bananas.