01/14 - powder day

eaf

It's traditionally amazing here at JF.

The morning was brisk, 0F according to an outside thermometer on the way to the mountain. Surprisingly many people were already here at opening, but that was just a surge of ski school kids and their parents. It's 10am now and the lodge is still only 30% full.

Lots, lots of snowmaking happened over the last 24 hours. No ice anywhere, everything is covered with a nice level and often thick layer of fresh snow. Because of it, it's kind if soft and slow.

Glades have been erased, but in place of them there is an ungroomed Challenge with piles of new soft powdery stuff.

Life couldn't have been better here this morning. The only thing I'm currently wishing for is that there was a demo program at JF.

• Like 2

Wow nice pics! That's great they blew lots of snow. I'm sure it was some really unexpectedly nice skiing this morning. 

Camelback was really good this morning, but JF looks like they did a better job overall. CB groomed almost every trail really well but they didnt make much new snow.

Maybe they'll get a demo program going and you can demo some RTM 81s that are 170 cm long.

Edited by saltyant

21 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Powder day?

Well, it may be a stretch, but only a tiny bit. You know, 170 to 177 kind of a stretch. Ankle deep soft stuff throughout the entire Challenge. Soft and silent cruising all the way down.

Amazing how much they've managed to do only 24 hours since the monsoon.

You don't have to "blow other mountains", but you've got to give them some credit when it's due. Lots of credit this time!

• Like 1

Second day on the slopes due to the flu around Christmas. Got there today at 8 and left about noon. Blowing snow on River Shot and Challenge when I got there. Great conditions, Floyd's was well groomed, with no sign of the race team. The bottom of River Shot was ungroomed and had some firm rollers. T bolt was groomed and very fast, Challenge had a few inches of soft stuff over a nice hard pack, didn't see any ice anywhere either. A couple of people being sledded off late morning.

The highlight was Challenge glade, buttery soft, flat among the trees, pretty well filled in down to the race shack. No lift lines anywhere, but T Bolt slopes started getting crowded with classes and toddlers when I decided it was time to leave. 17 runs, top speed 52.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, saltyant said:

That's great that you get to keep powder in your thread title. Someone erased the powder tag in my trip report yesterday.

Well, think if it this way... They would delete GSS's posts only if they get paid a few bucks for it. Yours they mess with for free.