1/17/18...Powder Day!!!!

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Hey All,

I'm back from a fun powder day at Blue mountain the true mountain. Reports were flying of 5-6" of new snow at Mount Mik to as high as 7-8" in Palmerton from the accuweather forums.  The drive up was easy took me about ten extra minutes and I stopped at WaWa on the way.  I arrived at 7:50am and in the house were JFDan, Atomic Jeff, Toast, Tarponhead, Indiggio, SallyCat, Tele Matt, Root, Shadows and many others.  Indiggio was even ringing the cowbell in the lot this morning. 

Onto the skiing blue groomed the majority of their steeper terrain before the majority of the overnight snowfall fell. Razors was first up and was amazing..top to bottom powder that was light but supportive as well..skied Razors two more times..second time as untracked as the first really just the two patroller tracks and about five PASR tracks third time on Razors while still large swaths of untracked you were crossing others tracks..next after that was nightmare dreamweaver already chowder still nice just was skied on a lot while we got 2700 vert of fresh pow on Razors. 

X-ing and the glades had nice fresh upper Main Street had lots of fresh as well in the second half of the first hour..I did my best to get any untracked pockets.  One liftride on the six pack a guy skied under the six pack on the lower marquee route above the first turn of lower sidewinder and went over all sorts of rocks and fell forward and ate shit. That's a lesson to all you Saltys and Eafs please check yourself before you wreck yourself.  It's national safety month so be safe folks.  

Razors was pretty rough rough when I returned to it some serious push piles..paraweaver was was technical as well some nice piles.  I went back to the lot for a beer and soft pretzel and the people were really starting to stream in.  Only the six pack was running until 11something and then the quad began running which eliminated the tiny liftlines perhaps a minute or two tops.  One interesting run was skiing sidewinder to lower lazy mile its a run that was a normal run back in my middle school days to get back to the Main Street chair to get back to the upper lodge.  

I took the Main Street chair with Root and we did widowmaker my first widowmaker of the season..some call it raceway but raceway never used to be titties deep..Root scored some fresh by the patrol shack and I got some pow pow off the side of the trail..and more fresh on the sides of chute you have to be real careful of rocks and cookies off trail..lower Main Street was rough..did Paradise to dreamweaver and Root was flying on his new skis through the chop.  Ended with a run on Paradise around noon or a little later.  

Many were saying today was the best day of the season..if you're a powderhound like me that's no argument.  This new snow is gonna make for some awesome conditions this weekend. 

• Like 5

Great morning. Arrived at 8:20 after getting stuck behind the plows, but I didn't care.  Today was super fun. Best day of the season.  Scored the red chair on my first lift ride up which just amped my stoke level up even higher.  Bacons in the morning, and Monsters in the choppy chop after the lot beer.  Pics later.

• Like 1

#1 day for me at Blue this year, thus far. More powder days to come. Plan on it. Those first 3 runs down Razors were glorious. Why we got three steller runs down razors i will never know. Lots of people gravitated towards sidewinder. If we had the base off trail like we did a week ago, today would have been even better. Doug was kind enough to hook everybody up with soft pretzels from wawa and beers in the lot. 

I’m glad the guy eating shit under the lift, in front of his kid was ok in the end, but that was priceless. I dont know how he though that was going to go ok. Nothing but rocks. He had to tear his bases up. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tarponhead said:

Ahhh Sierra cement? Rimed ice on top of pow (frozen rain on tail end of storm)? Upside down events??? You sir have been spoiled by the goods at JHMR emoji3.png

That stuff definitely doesn't happen at JHMR..maybe in the spring time..it's cowboy powder the same stuff as cold smoke a few times been medium density. 

36 minutes ago, Shadows said:

glad you got to ride some snow sally.

Nice meeting and chatting with you! 

I also met an older man, a skier,  who said  "NBD, but I don't have any toes because I was trapped in an ice cave for three days"

I asked him how he balanced with no toes and he was like "yeah, it's not easy."

• Like 1