Trip Report - 1/17/2018

saltyant

Just got back from one of the funnest night sessions ever at Camelback. There was lots of powder left from the storm, and this made all the runs more challenging but also more fun. Giant mogul fields formed on all the steeps, so I finally got to practice doing bump runs. For about 2 hours, my skiing was extremely good and I was making nice short radius turns around the moguls. By the end of the night, my legs started getting pretty tired due to aggressive carving, since I typically don't put much effort into skiing groomers. But powder skiing is completely different, and now I realize that after tonight.

The best mogul runs were Marjie's and The Rocket, which had nice fluffy piles and a only a little bit of ice between moguls. Cliffhanger was also nice, but was really choppy on the run out, and there's a section that's completely dark so that was a little treacherous. Big Pocono and Uncle Will''s Way were pretty decent as well. Now The Hump was a completely different story. I tackled that steep near the end of the night, and it was literally 86% ice and 14% snow. I had to skid down ice from mogul to mogul to survive, but fortunately I emerged unscathed. I wish ski patrol would have warned me about the ice before I dropped in on that run.

Overall it was definitely a great night of powder skiing, and I am so glad I had my trusty RTMs on, and 170 cm seemed to be the perfect length for the conditions. I'm going to request that Camelback leave some of the runs ungroomed so I can continue to practice moguls when I return on Saturday. I think that requesting slopes remain ungroomed is definitely a sign that I'm an expert now.

Edited by saltyant

Can't say I consider myself expert after 3 plus decades, though I ski everything in PA with confidence and seek out ungroomed terrain and glades. 

At the very least, before I would call someone an expert, I would want them to be able to handle the hardest stuff at Hunter and Plattekill as confidently as I tackle everything at Camelback.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

Just now, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Can't say I consider myself expert after 3 plus decades, though I ski everything in PA with confidence and seek out ungroomed terrain and glades. 

At the very least, before I would call someone an expert, I would want them to be able to handle the hardest stuff at Hunter and Platte kill as confidently as I tackle everything at Camelback.

To be an expert you have to be able to tackle the expert terrain at a challenging western resort with ease..I've skied over 1,000 days and I consider myself advanced..not expert...only a tiny percentage of people are experts mainly level three instructors and ski patrollers. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Nice report. I'm looking forward to your montage report. 

Thanks. I'll save that one for tomorrow. I'm kinda tired from skiing all the powder, but it was definitely a great day.

2 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

At the very least, before I would call someone an expert, I would want them to be able to handle the hardest stuff at Hunter and Platte kill as confidently as I tackle everything at Camelback.

Lol, in reality I'm probably still a low level intermediate, but I need to ski with Steeze again for an evaluation to see if I can get a promotion. I gave up on White Lightning when I got to the steep part. My RTMs were literally shaking. I slid down most of it. I don't know if I need to deduct that from my total vert for the season.

4 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Salty did you get to Montage for opening?

Almost. I made it to the Phoebe Lift for 9 am and they opened a little earlier, so Boomer and Smoke were already tracked out. So I made my way to Lower Runaway and Fast Track and found some nice powder. Plus I did a full top to bottom run on Fast Track which was amazing. Since that run takes the most effort to get to, there was lots of untracked powder. Very nice!

Edited by saltyant

nice TR! seems like you are learning some mad tactical skillz for handling ungroomed and varied surface conditions. I used to ski at camelback in high school, and I remember the Hump always being an icy mess. But, you have your trusty RTM's and they are more than capable of providing control over ice if used properly. watching youtube clips of skiing can only help so much, then as @GrilledSteezeSandwich points out, you'll need to start taking in-person lessons to progress even further.

keep up the good TR's!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, indiggio said:

Where are the GoPro videos dammit?  I'm especially interested in your mogul run videos.

Get someone to record you so we all can evaluate your ability.

Next time I ski moguls I'll try to remember my Go Pro. Unfortunately I cannot find my ski pole attachment anywhere so I wont be able to make an awesome vid from my ski pole's perspective.

6 hours ago, guitar73 said:

nice TR! seems like you are learning some mad tactical skillz for handling ungroomed and varied surface conditions. I used to ski at camelback in high school, and I remember the Hump always being an icy mess. But, you have your trusty RTM's and they are more than capable of providing control over ice if used properly. watching youtube clips of skiing can only help so much, then as @GrilledSteezeSandwich points out, you'll need to start taking in-person lessons to progress even further.

keep up the good TR's!

Thanks! I get pointers every now and then from random people. Last year I rode the Bear Mountain lift at Killington with an instructor and he was nice enough to give me some pointers. Basically, ski more forward, keep arms and poles forward, keep goggles high enough to get rid of the gaper gap, and other very useful advice. Maybe some day I'll pay for a lesson, but for me it just seems I need to get the feel for more advanced skiing techniques naturally. Idk. It was a lot of fun skiing in ungroomed terrain yesterday. My legs were sooo sore when I woke up this morning, but it was a good feeling.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Mount it to your chest.  Did you get air off any of the moguls??

I could easily mount it to my helmet and look like a teletubby, but then no one on here will be able to critique everything about my skiing stoyle. I didn't get any air off the moguls but often I get mad air off some ungroomed parts of the lodge, like 1-2 inches of air

Edited by saltyant