Trip Report - 1/17/2018

saltyant

Meh, the last 2 days have been pretty uneventful. Starting to get bored with skiing, I've done every single trail at Camelback ad nauseum at this point. Maybe I'll take a brief hiatus and go road biking next weekend instead.
The highlight of my day was when I was cranky this morning and some dude on the lift ride kept asking me pointless questions, like what do I do, where do I work, am I married, do I have kids, etc. He was a nice guy, but I hate making unnecessary small talk with people on the lift sometimes unless it's an interesting topic, like skiing or something.

Saltlick you're burning yourself out with these long sessions man. Do you feel obligated to get the max value from your pass or whatever? If so thats a surefire way to kill your hobby quick. Get stoked to ski, go skiing and leave when you get your fill. If that's an hour then it's an hour. If it's longer then great. If you don't feel like rolling out of bed one day then stay in bed. Just my opinion and I'm not saying this is you, but in general, when skiing becomes a job, obligation or a cost - benefit analysis you may a well give up now.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRacer said:

Saltlick you're burning yourself out with these long sessions man. Do you feel obligated to get the max value from your pass or whatever? If so thats a surefire way to kill your hobby quick. Get stoked to ski, go skiing and leave when you get your fill. If that's an hour then it's an hour. If it's longer then great. If you don't feel like rolling out of bed one day then stay in bed. Just my opinion and I'm not saying this is you, but in general, when skiing becomes a job, obligation or a cost - benefit analysis you may a well give up now.

Thanks PARidge. Good advice. Sometimes I tend to overdo things I enjoy because I forget about moderation. The only thing I'm confused on is what the hell is a saltlick?

5 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Thanks PARidge. Good advice. Sometimes I tend to overdo things I enjoy because I forget about moderation. The only thing I'm confused on is what the hell is a saltlick?

This is a saltlick..anyway Camelback must have been bad the last two days since there's no report. 

IMG_2337.JPG

2 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

Saltlick you're burning yourself out with these long sessions man.

I like a nice marathon session once in a while, though. I stayed at Blue yesterday past dark. The Eagles fans cleared out so there were NO crowds or lines and the snow was great. I took a long-ish break at one point, but basically was having a lot of fun so I didn't want to stop. Every run I was working on something (turning from the legs, hand/arm position, bumps, etc.) so it never got boring. It was great because with so many runs I could see and feel real improvement. I just rocked out to music or listened to podcasts on the lift so that wasn't boring, either, and when I got home I fell asleep hard and slept well. That was awesome, too.

• Like 2

This is a saltlick..anyway Camelback must have been bad the last two days since there's no report. 
IMG_2337.JPG.01281c40082d519fb40333ef9404d89e.JPG
Don't go higher than 170 though :)

If you are feeding 60 grams of Smartlyte, a commonly recommended dose, you would still not be providing the 113-170 grams of salt that your horse may need, depending on the salt content of the total diet. Y
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

I like a nice marathon session once in a while, though. I stayed at Blue yesterday past dark. The Eagles fans cleared out so there were NO crowds or lines and the snow was great. I took a long-ish break at one point, but basically was having a lot of fun so I didn't want to stop. Every run I was working on something (turning from the legs, hand/arm position, bumps, etc.) so it never got boring. It was great because with so many runs I could see and feel real improvement. I just rocked out to music or listened to podcasts on the lift so that wasn't boring, either, and when I got home I fell asleep hard and slept well. That was awesome, too.

I don't think Salty works on his skiing. He just tries to get back to the lift as fast as possible for his stats and then hopes to navigate the liftline quickly with both poles in one hand. When the lift stops it must drive him nuts. 

Yeah staying occupied during downtime is good.  One season about 11 years ago I used to ski with an iPod but I haven't since.  Right now I'm on hold with my bank getting info for my accountant it's brutal..I'm on hold for the third time over a very small amount of money...  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was skiing excellent Wednesday and had a lot of fun on ungroomed terrain. Then this weekend I could not ski that well no matter what I did. Im trying to improve but just felt stuck in a rut this weekend, and I dont know why. Despite a few funny jokes I've posted, I actually dont care about stats, or about getting maximum value out of my season pass... Although I am well under $1 per run for this year alone! :P

Ok fine I'll take a lesson. Or six.

4 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I was skiing excellent Wednesday and had a lot of fun on ungroomed terrain. Then this weekend I could not ski that well no matter what I did. Im trying to improve but just felt stuck in a rut this weekend, and I dont know why. Despite a few funny jokes I've posted, I actually dont care about stats, or about getting maximum value out of my season pass... Although I am well under $1 per run for this year alone! :P

Ok fine I'll take a lesson. Or six.

How were the conditions at Camelback??  Maybe your skis need a tune. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

How were the conditions at Camelback??  Maybe your skis need a tune. 

The conditions and my skis were both fine. I dont make excuses for mediocre skiing. I mean my skiing wasnt terrible, I didn't fall at all. But it certainly wasnt as good as my potential. Whatever though, I'll take a more laid back approach from now on because its just about having a good time afterall. Plus I got Stowe coming up in 2 weeks!

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

The conditions and my skis were both fine. I dont make excuses for mediocre skiing. I mean my skiing wasnt terrible, I didn't fall at all. But it certainly wasnt as good as my potential. Whatever though, I'll take a more laid back approach from now on because its just about having a good time afterall. Plus I got Stowe coming up in 2 weeks!

Nice I bet you've been studying the trail map a lot.  Lots of good woods at stowe. 

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Nice I bet you've been studying the trail map a lot.  Lots of good woods at stowe. 

I looked at it a few times. At Killington I just skiied all over the place without knowing the layout and now I have much of it memorized. My plan is to hit Four Runner lift as soon as it opens, and hit up some of those blues and maybe even blacks.

6 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I looked at it a few times. At Killington I just skiied all over the place without knowing the layout and now I have much of it memorized. My plan is to hit Four Runner lift as soon as it opens, and hit up some of those blues and maybe even blacks.

Nosedive is the easiest black..and there's skiable woods on both sides of it..hayride and centerline are also both groomed black diamonds.  If you want to try a long natural bump run try Chin clip off the gondola.  That's a neat run.  Also there's some really fun blue trails off the big spruce chairlift. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Nosedive is the easiest black..and there's skiable woods on both sides of it..hayride and centerline are also both groomed black diamonds.  If you want to try a long natural bump run try Chin clip off the gondola.  That's a neat run.  Also there's some really fun blue trails off the big spruce chairlift. 

Main Street over on Spruce can be a lot of fun.  It also holds snow well if the wind is blowing the right way. 

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

Oh geeze I dont know I hit 43 mph this weekend on my current wax But I can certainly look around for wax and a waxing iron.

A rusty Flexible Flyer would hit 43, too, if you pushed it straight down a hill. Jaysus. Just buy a kit. Or give 'em here and let me do it. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Grayne-Ski-and-Snowboard-Tuning-Kit-with-Waxing-Iron-/332227976865