Blue Mountain Death

toast21602

13 minutes ago, zzslope said:

I ride and ski as though no one sees me. The news said the person that died was laying on the slope when he was hit.

You have to. I do the same on my road bike. On the road there are a lot of ways to lower the risk, such as high visability and assuming every single car might run a red light or stop sign, turn out of a drive way, or make a left hand turn. I've studied a lot of road safety tips for biking and I feel safer to a degree.

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

You have to. I do the same on my road bike. On the road there are a lot of ways to lower the risk, such as high visability and assuming every single car might run a red light or stop sign, turn out of a drive way, or make a left hand turn. I've studied a lot of road safety tips for biking and I feel safer to a degree.

Agree

23 minutes ago, saltyant said:

That's why I have an air-horn on my motorcycle.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, zzslope said:

That is part of why I like trail riding a little more than road riding.

I prefer trail riding in suburban Philly because there's just too much traffic. But trails bore me because my favorite part of biking is climbing, and all 2 trails around me are flat as a pancake. I love rural/farm roads with minimal traffic. Sure you can still get hit, but I feel safer on those than on busy state routes. For road cycling, I think route planning is an important aspect of safe riding.

4 hours ago, eaf said:

This is just so sick. The OTHER guy now needs support to cope?? Like a shrink?

Events aren't always black and white and not every tragedy has a villain. For all we know, this one may have two victims. Caring about the wellbeing of the living skier doesn't diminish my capacity to care for the grieving family of the dead skier. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

I prefer trail riding in suburban Philly because there's just too much traffic. But trails bore me because my favorite part of biking is climbing, and all 2 trails around me are flat as a pancake. I love rural/farm roads with minimal traffic. Sure you can still get hit, but I feel safer on those than on busy state routes. For road cycling, I think route planning is an important aspect of safe riding.

By trail riding i meant single track on a mountain bike, i should have been more clear , i ride at nockamixon often. for road riding  i agree with the rural road riding, where i live i can connect mcmansion developments for close to 50 miles without riding on a main road, there are alot of hills in them. 

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:48 PM, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

bad idea

Had a family of fairly good skiers from the Poconos get in trouble at Loon 15-20 years ago.  The dad crashed on a icy closed slope after a rain/freeze event (a lawsuit claimed that the method of closing was inadequate).  The daughter and son-in-law took their skis off to get him.  Father and daughter died, son-in-law had a concussion.

Edited by C1erArt

20 hours ago, SallyCat said:

Events aren't always black and white and not every tragedy has a villain. For all we know, this one may have two victims. Caring about the wellbeing of the living skier doesn't diminish my capacity to care for the grieving family of the dead skier. 

One bad thing about Jack Frost is the need to stop at the top of the east mountain headwalls to check if it is clear.  Fortunately you can check the slope out on the way up to see if it is likely that rentals are traversing the slopes.

Anyone know what trail it was on? I was thinking Falls or the Razors headwall before Homestretch where you can't see over the lip?

The article says it wasn't the person who struck him's fault. You are supposed to ski under control and are responsible for avoiding those in front of you so I don't how that is.

Anyone know what trail it was on? I was thinking Falls or the Razors headwall before Homestretch where you can't see over the lip?
The article says it wasn't the person who struck him's fault. You are supposed to ski under control and are responsible for avoiding those in front of you so I don't how that is.

There are only two blind spots on razors; the little lip after the first head wall and the lower head wall. Vibes to his family

2 hours ago, trackbiker said:

....The article says it wasn't the person who struck him's fault. You are supposed to ski under control and are responsible for avoiding those in front of you so I don't how that is.

depends on state law. from what I understand, it is the uphill skier's/rider's responsibility to yield to and avoid skiers/riders that are downslope of them. similar to fender-benders....the person at-fault is usually the person who rear-ended the other. so, I suspect the guy who crashed into the dude who died could be held liable.

but, I'm not a lawyer.  calling @Johnny Law on this one.

3 hours ago, tarponhead said:

There are only two blind spots on razors; the little lip after the first head wall and the lower head wall. Vibes to his family

I almost nailed a guy who was laying in the middle of Falls, maybe 8-10' below the lip.
I wasn't going fast at all, not like a typical Saturday/Sunday morning's first run, but just a leisurely pace and came over the lip to find the guy right there.
Luckily I still had room to turn and wasn't in the air at the time or I would have landed on top of him or ran into him.

From that I learned never to spped over Falls or final headwall of Razors after first runs of the day. 
Blue is just too crowded to take that chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, indiggio said:

I almost nailed a guy who was laying in the middle of Falls, maybe 8-10' below the lip.
I wasn't going fast at all, not like a typical Saturday/Sunday morning's first run, but just a leisurely pace and came over the lip to find the guy right there.
Luckily I still had room to turn and wasn't in the air at the time or I would have landed on top of him or ran into him.

From that I learned never to spped over Falls or final headwall of Razors after first runs of the day. 
Blue is just too crowded to take that chance.

Most of us speed over the falls and final headwall of razors every run. 

14 hours ago, Shadows said:

Guy and girl yesterday decided it was a good idea to stop right below falls to take a selfie. Wanted to yell at them from the lift

Should have! 

I tell people stopped/sitting in stupid places all the time, you're gonna get hit stopping/sitting here.

So, as the story goes that I heard it from a few sources...

The deceased fell on the Falls just beyond the upper lip, was lying in the snow and was not wearing a helmet (not sure if that would have mattered or not, see other thread for helmet discussion, but IMHO it wouldn't have hurt him any if he were wearing one).
The other skier came over the Falls with too much speed to alter their course and collided with the now deceased, impacting them about the cranial area.

The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.
- John Powell

Edited by indiggio