Ikon Pass

toast21602

7 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

What makes Jackson hole so nice is that the airport is 8 miles from town and 20 from the mountain and all the driving is in the valley.  When I do my skifari to Colorado next month it's a hour and a half drive to summit county on I-70 which goes from 5,000 feet to 11,000 feet at the Eisenhower tunnel and can sometimes be closed in snowstorms. 

Yeah, I can only imagine what it might be like in winter. I drove from Aspen to Denver once in late May, and there was still snow on the side of the road in some areas, plus an abundance of signs and places to put on chains.

JH, as convenient as it sounds, also seems to have this flavor of a daredevil kind of a place, judging by the recent incidents here.

18 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

SLC is super easy. If it is snowing, the canyon roads are rough. But staying centrally in SLC allows you to go south to Park City areas, stay in BCC, LCC, and the ability to go north to Ogden area. I'm thinking next year I need to get back to Utah since it has been three years now. 

What's BCC and LCC?

3 minutes ago, eaf said:

Yeah, I can only imagine what it might be like in winter. I drove from Aspen to Denver once in late May, and there was still snow on the side of the road in some areas, plus an abundance of signs and places to put on chains.

JH, as convenient as it sounds, also seems to have this flavor of a daredevil kind of a place, judging by the recent incidents here.

JH isn't always convenient. In 2009 my flight from Chicago to Jackson hole ended up in Denver..with no flights available from Denver to JH for two days. I ended up renting a car and driving the 540 miles to Jackson hole second half of drive in a snowstorm and made it to Jackson at like 5am. I didn't miss any skiing just sleep and the one way rental was over $300. 

In 2015 I flew direct Newark to Jackson on the way..flight took the normal 4+ hours. On the way home I flew Jackson to Denver to Newark and was stuck in Denver for a night and then next day Denver to Newark flight was cancelled due to snowstorm on east coast so flew to DC..spent the night at my parents house in Arlington then on the third day flew D.C. to Newark flight was delayed like 6 hours and I returned to my car buried in snow..made a wrong turn and ended up in jersey city and then was pulled over by NJ state trooper for using a mobile device while driving. When it rains it pours. 

I like Jackson hole because it's consistently steep top to bottom, it snows a lot and every trip at the end I feel like I have unfinished business and have to return so I just have it in my yearly calendar last week of January when it's most likely to be uncrowded and powder filled. The town of Jackson and Teton village has changed a lot since my first visit in 2002...so much money has poured in, a four seasons was built, new Tram, new gondola, new high speed quads, new inbounds terrain, new lodges but same great mountain

12 minutes ago, eaf said:

And JH is best suited for advanced and expert skiers who have a brain. I like steep terrain and tree skiing..I'm not a fan of exposure so stay away from cliff areas and I have no avalanche gear or training so I don't cross the gates into out of bounds areas that are not patrolled, controlled or marked. 

Most of the terrain i ski at JH is single black diamond terrain...too steep and difficult for the herbs but often overlooked by the hardcore locals..that's why I'm able to rack up so much untracked on pow days

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

And JH is best suited for advanced and expert skiers who have a brain. I like steep terrain and tree skiing..I'm not a fan of exposure so stay away from cliff areas and I have no avalanche gear or training so I don't cross the gates into out of bounds areas that are not patrolled, controlled or marked. 

Most of the terrain i ski at JH is single black diamond terrain...too steep and difficult for the herbs but often overlooked by the hardcore locals..that's why I'm able to rack up so much untracked on pow days

Holy shit I get it, I'm a gaper with no brain and you and Jeff are Jackson experts, bash me in my own thread 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theprogram4 said:

Holy shit I get it, I'm a gaper with no brain and you and Jeff are Jackson experts, bash me in my own thread 

I already said you were a dumbass for going out of bounds with no Avy gear and no knowledge of the terrain.  I don't need to say it again. I would say that to anybody, not just you...

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I already said you were a dumbass for going out of bounds with no Avy gear and no knowledge of the terrain.  I don't need to say it again. I would say that to anybody, not just you...

You just said it again in the post.  I know it was stupid, I don't need to be reminded of it on random posts on this board.  Bash me in my own thread

1 minute ago, theprogram4 said:

Everyone here called me out for being an idiot, and kept it moving.  You and Jeff continue to bash me 48 hours later, I know it was fucking stupid, I don't need to be reminded in every fucking thread as I sit here watching it snow out the window 

If you didn't end up getting hurt they'd still be calling you an idiot.  We don't want you dying TP4..imagine how boring PASR would be without you.  

Oh wait... Somehow I thought (or read) that this pass would work for the remainder of this year too, but the FAQ says this??

"Your Ikon Pass will be mailed to you in the Fall, prior to the start of the 2018-2019 season, assuming you have signed the release of liability and uploaded your photo that meets the requirements."

12 minutes ago, eaf said:

Oh wait... Somehow I thought (or read) that this pass would work for the remainder of this year too, but the FAQ says this??

"Your Ikon Pass will be mailed to you in the Fall, prior to the start of the 2018-2019 season, assuming you have signed the release of liability and uploaded your photo that meets the requirements."

Ah, NVM. Another bullet of the FAQ says:

"Yes. You can use your 2018-2019 Ikon Pass or Ikon Base Pass starting March 6, 2018 at Big Bear Mountain Resort, June Mountain, Blue Mountain and Snowshoe; and starting on April 9, 2018 at Winter Park Resort, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows and Mammoth Mountain."

Im still curious...

arent these resorts owned by a multitude of companys? So whats the connection? And why these resorts? And who is benefiting overall? Are they sold by a third party that gets a percentage? Did some random guy just call each resort and was like 'hey let me sell a pass that has all these other guys on it too'

23 minutes ago, eaf said:

Barb said it was good beginning April 9th or so. 

8 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Im still curious...

arent these resorts owned by a multitude of companys? So whats the connection? And why these resorts? And who is benefiting overall? Are they sold by a third party that gets a percentage? Did some random guy just call each resort and was like 'hey let me sell a pass that has all these other guys on it too'

The Alterra mountain company owns 12 of the resorts and then they got 14 other resorts to hop on board.  I imagine deals are worked out with different resorts based on how much the passes are used at various resorts. The goal is to increase skier attendance. As most resorts have very high fixed expenses bringing more people to their resorts is a huge plus even if they are only getting a small percentage of what a daily ticket price would be.  Its somewhat similar to the Max pass...

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I think I could make it to the Baltimore airport faster than JFK

edit: actually 2 hours 8 minutes for JFK vs 2 hours and 30 minutes for Baltimore but it's a Sunday. 

Nobody can get to JFK in 2 hrs 8 mins. Google maps and gps’s dont acount for the fact that NYC is just the most fucked up place to drive in the world. Going to JFK to fly direct is conterproductive. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, theprogram4 said:

1 hour ago, theprogram4 said:

You just said it again in the post.  I know it was stupid, I don't need to be reminded of it on random posts on this board.  Bash me in my own thread

59 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Everyone here called me out for being an idiot, and kept it moving.  You and Jeff continue to bash me 48 hours later, I know it was fucking stupid, I don't need to be reminded in every fucking thread as I sit here watching it snow out the window 

You’re awfully sensitive about this for someone who repeatedly went out of his way to bash me for a broken ankle. 

Karma sucks sometimes. Deal with it. 

25 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Nobody can get to JFK in 2 hrs 8 mins. Google maps and gps’s dont acount for the fact that NYC is just the most fucked up place to drive in the world. Going to JFK to fly direct is conterproductive. 

Not to mention $35+ in tolls (round trip)

7 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

You’re awfully sensitive about this for someone who repeatedly went out of his way to bash me for a broken ankle. 

Karma sucks sometimes. Deal with it. 

You attacked me cause I suffer from anxiety disorder.  You wanted to see harm come my way so I defended myself the best I could.  Was it the best way?  Of course not.  But I protected myself.  I thought we were cool cause we rode a bunch this season, but apparently not.  It's pathetic you can't take responsibility for your actions.

Edited by theprogram4

3 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

You attacked me cause I suffer from anxiety disorder.  You wanted to see harm come my way so I defended myself the best I could.  Was it the best way?  Of course not.  But I protected myself.  I thought we were cool cause we rode a bunch this season, but apparently not.  It's pathetic you can't take responsibility for your actions.

Ok snowflake. I have no issues with you now, only introducing the pot to the kettle.  If you remember you were also posting that you wished harm to come to other members which is what started your extended bans.

Just now, RootDKJ said:

Ok snowflake. I have no issues with you now, only introducing the pot to the kettle.  If you remember you were also posting that you wished harm to come to other members which is what started your extended bans.

Lol at calling me a snowflake for an illness I've suffered from since middle school, fucking pathetic