Hey Salty..

12 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Did you ski seven springs Thursday night?

Yep. It was ok but they were blowing snow on every trail, which made it hard to see. 

Currently at Camelback trying to diagnose what the hell is wrong with my skiing. The last 4 times out, I have been skiing so shitty that it is seriously making me want to quit skiing, even though just a week ago I loved it. I'm at a total loss here. Just cannot get forward in my boots no matter what I do, and Im constantly making turns from the backseat. Any suggestions? I'm considering taking a lesson at Stowe the first day because I want to enjoy my time there, but this week I'm skiing worse than I was last year at this time.

4 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Put your hand forward...are your boots tight enough??  What's the stiffness of your boots??  Sorry this is short gotta get ready for skiing I'll add more later. I skied pretty shitty yesterday..not all days you're gonna be at your best. 

Currently watching YouTube videos on proper boot placement. My boots are 100 flex. They've been fine for me until recently. I know you have good and bad days, but now this is turning into a pattern. 

Have fun, hope you guys get lots of freshies today.

Lessons are good. Our instructor has us do multiple drills per session. Some of them don’t resonate with me but after some drills, something clicks. All subtle movements; opening the inside knee when initiating a turn, pushing the inside leg forward when finishing a turn, turning with your hips, keeping your poles forward etc. I highly recommend getting some instruction. 

• Thanks 2

everyone has good days and bad days on the hill, and that's OK. just relax a for a bit and try to have fun for a bit so you don't get into your head. you'd be surprised how much that can help. once you can approach skiing in a better mind, then go get lessons and practice what they show you. no matter what, don't dwell on the negative vibes. like gss said, this is a lifetime sport. take it one step at a time and you'll be just fine. also, keep up the "salty" TR's. they're solid gold.

• Thanks 1

When i first got back into skiiing after my hiatus i noticed being on traditionally mounted skis was akward. Having that much ski in front of you is a bit much if the trail isnt steep enough for you to lean forward in the first place. If you dont know how to use a ski then youre always gonna be fighting it with the wrong stance. 

get some center mounted park skis salty :chea:

or take a lesson. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

100 flex boots is fine. Enjorales are like 80 which must be super sloppy.  Mine are 110. I've had as much as 130 flex and 110-120 is good for me. 

My boots are 65 flex and a size too big, sloppy doesn't begin to describe it. I make do until I find the right pair for me to move into. It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools though. I can cook a hell of a meal with a full range, smoker, full size grill, sous vide cooker, etc. But manage to put out some pretty decent food with a tiny tailgate grill in the lot. 

Salty, get out of your head and just enjoy skiing. It's supposed to be fun. Pops and I should be at Camel around opening tomorrow if you're gonna be around. You might not like skiing with us though. We usually ski more blues than blacks, don't care about how fast we get down the hill, and even stop halfway down a bunch to chat and let traffic clear.

We have fun, tho

• Like 2

2 hours ago, enjoralas said:

My boots are 65 flex and a size too big, sloppy doesn't begin to describe it. I make do until I find the right pair for me to move into. It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools though. I can cook a hell of a meal with a full range, smoker, full size grill, sous vide cooker, etc. But manage to put out some pretty decent food with a tiny tailgate grill in the lot. 

Salty, get out of your head and just enjoy skiing. It's supposed to be fun. Pops and I should be at Camel around opening tomorrow if you're gonna be around. You might not like skiing with us though. We usually ski more blues than blacks, don't care about how fast we get down the hill, and even stop halfway down a bunch to chat and let traffic clear.

We have fun, tho

Thanks Enjorales. I'll let you know if I'm going tomorrow. The snow wasn't the best today, unfortunately. Nile Mile was full of sugar piles by 10 am. Guess that's to be expected with the warm ups.

31 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Thanks Enjorales. I'll let you know if I'm going tomorrow. The snow wasn't the best today, unfortunately. Nile Mile was full of sugar piles by 10 am. Guess that's to be expected with the warm ups.

Sugar piles are no big deal. At least it's soft if you fall. Skiing through the sugar piles seems like it would be good practice for picking a line and dealing with chopped and bumped up terrain

• Like 1

7 hours ago, saltyant said:

Sugar piles are a typical ski condition in PA..we all ski plenty of sugar I call it mad sweet and low. Yeah it's not as good as packed power or spring snow but better than not skiing.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, enjoralas said:

Pops and I should be at Camel around opening tomorrow if you're gonna be around. You might not like skiing with us though. We usually ski more blues than blacks, don't care about how fast we get down the hill, and even stop halfway down a bunch to chat and let traffic clear. We have fun, tho

Can't make it tomorrow. Have a good time. Let me know when you're going again, since I think you mentioned you have the triple ticket deal.

This morning, I found Rhododendron Glen was the best trail of the day, at least early in the morning. Pocono Raceway was also decent. Upper Cleo and Nile Mile were pure sugary snow... not sure I've come across that type of snow in such a large quantity before.

41 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Can't make it tomorrow. Have a good time. Let me know when you're going again, since I think you mentioned you have the triple ticket deal.

This morning, I found Rhododendron Glen was the best trail of the day, at least early in the morning. Pocono Raceway was also decent. Upper Cleo and Nile Mile were pure sugary snow... not sure I've come across that type of snow in such a large quantity before.

What are you up to tomorrow???  Hot yoga class??  Cocoa meet up with Ski2Live??  Moonlighting at an all male revue??  No shame in dancing for dollars just steer clear of gay for pay. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

Sucks you won't make it. If anything changes, post up, I read throughout the day. We usually stay at Camel much longer since we paid a premium and only spend three visits.

We'll probably start as usual at the main lodge and take the sullivan, usually start with something mellow. Maybe Marc Antony to Homeymoon, and back up for a king tut run, one more time up and do Marc Antony all the way down to the Stevenson. Hit Nile Mile and then see how we're feeling, Maybe back over and do the blacks and Big pocono. One they open the Raceway triple we'll do a half dozen or more laps on Pocono Raceway/ Rhodo. I like to spend some time in there, they're nice and wide and with enough pitch that I feel like I can get some good practice on form and turns. It really sucks when they don't run the triple, it makes a pain to accomplish that.

Did they set up the self timed gates this year?