No-Crowd Sunday 1/28: Soft, Sweet, and Dirty

SallyCat

Arrived at about  7;45 to rain and fog. I was counting on soft snow and small crowds, and was not disappointed. Until about 9:30 there were more racers on the hill than civilian customers.

IMG_3805.thumb.JPG.181548c0a2647b12a1194bcc642fc016.JPG

Visibility was an issue until about 11 am, but gradually the rain showers stopped and the fog lifted. By noon it was a bright day with soft, hero snow and NO crowds. By 1pm the lift crew had taken down the dividers in the corral. There were no lines all day.

IMG_3811.thumb.JPG.324283336af90c69fd214932a68b7730.JPG

Every run was awesome soft, spring snow. There were weird patches of icy boulerplate here and there, as well as dirt.  All easily avoidable and metely an aesthetic issue.

IMG_3808.thumb.JPG.2c9fa0dba2b7b9394d23cf12dd5cc84b.JPG

I had a bowl of chili at the bar without any inappropriately-young fellows asking me to ski. Ah well, a girl can only get lucky once in a while. 

All told, a fantastic day at the True Mountain.

IMG_3814.JPG

IMG_3816.JPG

• Like 7

Nice report.  Wow you parked at the top..I haven't been up there since early December. 

Foggy rainy days that clear up can be really good.  Gotta love the lack of crowds!!

when I get back from Jackson hole we'll have to make some runs..

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 2

Sorry for the terrible spelling; was typing on my phone with old eyeglasses. 

I also chatted with a ski patroller on the chair; he said that they had about 26 serious accidents yesterday, and almost all of them were on Burma and Paradise and were just one-person crashes. Said that was completely typical and that Lazy gets some accidents, but it's mostly the green trails where people get hurt. He did say that he was pretty sure the person who hit the skier last weekend was a snowboarder rather than a skier, if that makes any difference. I didn't press him for details. 

Today's lack of crowds was a real treat. I'm hoping next Sunday afternoon/evening will be much the same on account of the Super Bowl. Nothing against the Eagles--I hope they win--, but I'm not so much a football fan as a fan of New Orleans, so when the Saints went down I lost interest in the rest of the season. Another low-crowd Sunday would seem like wretched excess, but I'll take it!

a1ba849bb2f0435c5dae82f8a4f4f0d6.jpg
Clouds from the snow after the front started making its way through...

cdddfc460730abebecc46ed1d2b2ce0b.jpg
bde97bdf2d4e4d5d56753d03d8094001.jpg
849647c64bb9d040b1ce6dede2b24ac9.jpg
Valley clouds...

We never got on Razor's as they opened it too late for our legs. Kept lapping NM bumps and DW snow, both of which were excellent. Once the crowds scraped the overnight setup crust off, the soft underbelly snow was sweet, soft and buttery.

Highlight of the day was the lifties at the quad having two grills fired up, cooking marinated chicken for themselves. 
The aroma was killer while standing there waiting for the chair.

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Watching those beautiful clouds throughout the morning was a joy. 

It was amazing to watch the transformation of the area from pea-soup fog, to partially socked-in, to clear with fog nestled in the valleys.
The view from the lot (wish I would have taken some pics) at departure was cool too, as the clouds rolled along the ridge past the slopes.

29 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

rode from 8-10 yesterday, it rained til about 8:45 so i was slightly wet and didnt want to stay too long.  had a good time though, just wanted a quick session.  had my eyes out for PASR;s but diidnt see any

I thought I saw you a couple of times from the chair, but wasn't sure. 

Also saw Sally from a distance/chair a few times as well.

Seeing Tarpon goes without saying, but I said it anyway.

• Like 4