2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Just overheard the hotel owner say people will be lining up at the 4 Runner by 7:15. Guess I'll be eating my fig newtons so I can get fresh.

Go to the Stowe bagel at 630am...if money is a problem I can call ahead and put it on my credit card..it's the least I can do for the entertainment you provide. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Go to the Stowe bagel at 630am...if money is a problem I can call ahead and put it on my credit card

Thanks Steeze! I'll pay for my bagel though. I might be annoying but I'm no freeloader.

21 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

it's the least I can do for the entertainment you provide. 

You better be careful with comments like that. Toast might give you a strike two.

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I honestly think 95% of people who were asked that question would have a deer in the headlights look.  I only know 3 degree bevel from Atomic Jeff tuning my skis. Before that I had no clue and I skied for 15 years before AJeff was my tune guy. 

Really!? That's surprising. I realized when I started skiing that bringing my skis to a shop for waxes and edge work was going to be expensive over time, so I learned to do a  lot of that stuff myself.  Any edge tool has an angle setting, so even if you just want to do light maintenance, you ought to at least wonder which setting is correct for your skis. 

But fair enough, I'm a bit of a trainspotter about taking care of my gear; mostly of financial necessity, both with my stuff and the outing club's equipment because it was crazy hard to get funding for anything so we had to make everything last. I did a lot of sewing tears in tents and backpacks and even learned how to repair the hull of a Royalex canoe. Shoot, I once hit an armadillo with my car and learned a lot about bumper repair. 

But I see  your point about most people not knowing/caring.

12 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I honestly think 95% of people who were asked that question would have a deer in the headlights look.

yup. besides, the factory set bevels are good enough for the average recreational skier. to clarify....those of us who post on ski forums probably aren't the average recreational skier since we ski more days and are motivated enough to participate in such forum to discuss the sport.

keep shredding salty!

37 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Was thinking the same thing. 

Maybe I'll check out some Toll Road glades. Looking for something easy. My skiing blows today and I don't know why, I was doing so well the last 3 days. Can't get any pressure in the front of my boots no matter what I do. The boots feel loose despite I have the buckles set to their usual position, so will try tightening them incrementally.

Was here at 6:50 and there were no cars. Was 3rd person in line. By 7:45 it was jam packed. Then they queued us through the reader and my damn card wouldn't read, so I ended up on the 6th chair. I was so pissed and was cursing. So were the people behind me. But the damn thing worked every other time on the mountain, including afterwards, so it was complete bullshit.

Found one stash of deep untracked powder on North Slope. It was deeeeep. I dont know how to turn in deep perder so it was different but so amazing. After that run the hoards tracked out all the powder and the Gondola line was insanely long so I went to Spruce to get some more untracked. Not as deep because they groomed Spruce last but it was ok. 

Overall a little disappointed with today since I had ultra high expectations. Nothing this week will match that first run I made down Gondolier on Tuesday in the untracked. For me (currently) that's as good as it gets.

As ski boots get more packed out you have to tighten the buckles more and in choppy snow they usually need to be tighter than in groomed snow..if the perder is deep straight run until you have the desired speed then just shift your weight from left to right and make real light turns..don't even think about using your edges.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

As ski boots get more packed out you have to tighten the buckles more and in choppy snow they usually need to be tighter than in groomed snow..if the perder is deep straight run until you have the desired speed then just shift your weight from left to right and make real light turns..don't even think about using your edges.  

I need much more practice in deep perder before Verbier. I try to turn like on groomed runs and that obviously doesn't work.

Dont be dissapointed just savor the day and enjoy exploring new terrain. Maybe head back to the forerunner quad and try the glades next to nosedive.  

I always complain how how fast jackson hole gets tracked out(maybe an hour and a half) but stowe gets tracked out in like 15 minutes.  The people there are hungry for pow pow. It's like hungry hungry hippos. Also try whirlaway at spruce that could still have some freshies.  Chin clip could be very good today as well. 

Just now, saltyant said:

I need much more practice in deep perder before Verbier. I try to turn like on groomed runs and that obviously doesn't work.

Nope that doesn't work it's a totally different skill set and unfortunately you only will get a few times a year to practice in it unless you're like me who's had 7 perder days in the last three weeks. 

• Sad 1

I don't know what your fitness level is like, but it is normal for ppl to feel less energetic/fatigued towards the end of a long trip, especially if they aren't accustomed to skiing multiple days in a row w/o rest. for me, day 4 of a trip is pretty rough....but then days 5 and 6 my body rebounds a little.

4 minutes ago, guitar73 said:

I don't know what your fitness level is like, but it is normal for ppl to feel less energetic/fatigued towards the end of a long trip, especially if they aren't accustomed to skiing multiple days in a row w/o rest. for me, day 4 of a trip is pretty rough....but then days 5 and 6 my body rebounds a little.

Could be but I dont feel tired today. Tried tightening my boots so hopefully that helps. When I put pressure in the front of my boots my skiing is great. If I cant get pressure in the front then my skiing sucks. Shrug.

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Could be but I dont feel tired today. Tried tightening my boots so hopefully that helps. When I put pressure in the front of my boots my skiing is great. If I cant get pressure in the front then my skiing sucks. Shrug.

Do you happen to know how stiff your ski boots are??  Do you always buckle your boots back up after you take them off??

42 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

By the way the tags on this thread are great.  Salty once you clean the interior of my car with a toothbrush while wearing a French maid outfit you'll no longer be a freshman anymore. 

Most of those tags aren't mine. I have no control over my tags. :(:(:( Guess I'll be a terminal "freshman".

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Do you happen to know how stiff your ski boots are??  Do you always buckle your boots back up after you take them off??

Boots are fine. I Was skiing great yesterday. Oh well. Last hour couldnt think of anything but food so I have been forced to spend $16 on a buffalo chicken wrap and $7 on a frappuccino. Should have ate breakfast. My sugar levels are depleted from "skiing" glades.

Edited by saltyant

15 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Boots are fine. I Was skiing great yesterday. Oh well. Last hour couldnt think of anything but food so I have been forced to spend $16 on a buffalo chicken wrap and $7 on a frappuccino. Should have ate breakfast. My sugar levels are depleted from "skiing" glades.

Wow you and your coffee drinks lol.  I bet it's a darn good sandwich!!!  I'm surprised you didn't go to the Stowe bagel for an early riser 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

14 minutes ago, saltyant said:

You should be a moderator. You're the most popular PASR poster.

I would abuse the fuck out of my mod powers and it would be complete and utter fuckery.  I was actually a mod for about an hour in a Facebook group and I removed all the people I didn't like and deleted tons of posts.  It was awesome. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wow you and your coffee drinks lol.  I bet it's a darn good sandwich!!!  I'm surprised you didn't go to the Stowe bagel for an early riser 

Tried to survive on fig newtons and granola bars. Didn't work. 

Also tried glades near chapel. They started off flat and then turned into a steep drop off. Because I didn't want to die took my skis off and slid down. Glades look like so much fun but I just don't understand how I'm supposed to turn in the deep stuff. I tried walking on it but my leg sunk like 2 feet deep.

Found lots of untracked powder a few inches deep on runs near Toll House lift So I'll do 1 or 2 more runs there and then go to Ben and Jerrys for an ice cream tour.

Edited by saltyant
  • Haha 1