1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Salty where are you staying in Killington?  Is there free breakfast??

The Mountain Inn. Yes the breakfast is free. And Its only 2 minutes from Ramshead.

Pretty crowded but tolerable. Short lift lines on most lifts, and often no line at all. Im sure theres 500 people in line for K1 gondola. Skiing is pretty good on the Skyeship and Bear Mountain trails. Been practicing moguls. Might head back over to Snowdon and ski there. Seems like no one goes over there. Had a chocolate waffle but they put too much damn chocolate syrup on it so now my hands are messy.

Not sure if I want to come back tomorrow. It will probably be a zoo. Might go to Pico for a few runs and then return to NEPA.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, saltyant said:

The Mountain Inn. Yes the breakfast is free. And Its only 2 minutes from Ramshead.

Pretty crowded but tolerable. Short lift lines on most lifts, and often no line at all. Im sure theres 500 people in line for K1 gondola. Skiing is pretty good on the Skyeship and Bear Mountain trails. Been practicing moguls. Might head back over to Snowdon and ski there. Seems like no one goes over there. Had a chocolate waffle but they put too much damn chocolate syrup on it so now my hands are messy.

Not sure if I want to come back tomorrow. It will probably be a zoo. Might go to Pico for a few runs and then return to NEPA.

Nice you just have to know how to navigate through the crowds.  Friday can often be  almost as busy as the  weekend in th afternoon. Are all the lifts running?  Have you skied a summit to base run yet..for the full 3k plus vert?  There used to be an area called sunrise at Killington that extended down to route 4..the lift was called the northwest passage lift and was like 19 minutes long and had a mid station. I've definitely scored Powder on that side of the mountain.  Try to stay in bounds don't duck any ropes..I know it might be tempting to ski some untracked perder off the backside or follow some locals to one of the smoke shacks but it's not worth it. One wrong turn and you'll be in the wilderness and search and rescue will find you deep in the woods subsisting on smuggled jelly and butter packets you got from the free breakfast at the mountain inn along with a sleeve of club crackers. 

Ch do yourself before you wreck yourself. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

Great Eastern is probably the best trail on the EC, when it's empty it's 3k vert of just super fun arc arc arc ok now lets look around and back to arc arc arc.

Unless you have to take a rage level 4 shit on the way down! 

Don't bother asking me how I know...

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Nice you just have to know how to navigate through the crowds.  Friday can often be  almost as busy as the  weekend in th afternoon. Are all the lifts running?  Have you skied a summit to base run yet..for the full 3k plus vert?  There used to be an area called sunrise at Killington that extended down to route 4..the lift was called the northwest passage lift and was like 19 minutes long and had a mid station. I've definitely scored Powder on that side of the mountain.  Try to stay in bounds don't duck any ropes..I know it might be tempting to ski some untracked perder off the backside or follow some locals to one of the smoke shacks but it's not worth it. One wrong turn and you'll be in the wilderness and search and rescue will find you deep in the woods subsisting on smuggled jelly and butter packets you got from the free breakfast at the mountain inn along with a sleeve of club crackers. 

Ch do yourself before you wreck yourself.

All the lifts were running. Only made one top-to-bottom run from the top of K-1 to Great Eastern. It's fun but gets tiring and the gondola line was too damn long, whereas there were no lines for any other lifts.

Spent most of the day riding the Bear Mountain and Skyeship quads. Lots of mogul practice. By noon I don't think there was a single blue run without moguls. Ran Skyeburst, Skyelark, Bittersweet, High Road, and Bear Claw a lot. Also tried some glades off Bear Cub a few times, which was fun. Didn't even need to take my skis off. I always stay in bound and adhere to the rules, so no need to worry about me going out of bounds and getting buried (sorry toast and JF Dan).

Overall a fun day. Better than yesterday but not as good as Mon-Wed at Stowe. Didn't do any gaper things today (sorry tarponhead) other than got out of control on a narrow, crowded, moguled section leading into Great Eastern off the Skyeship quad. Reminded me of this video:

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2016/11/10/watch-old-school-mogul-skiing-was-out-of-control/

Edited by saltyant

4 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

Great Eastern is probably the best trail on the EC, when it's empty it's 3k vert of just super fun arc arc arc ok now lets look around and back to arc arc arc.

Good post. Not sure what a WC horn is. My enjoyment of skiing varies. Today it was pretty good but not excellent like Tuesday. Definitely better than 2 weeks ago. My interest depends on how I'm doing. If I'm skiing like a bum then it's not fun, regardless of what mountain I'm at and what the snow is like. If I'm skiing excellent like I do sometimes then it's the funnest thing in the world. IDK. I always try to get that fun feeling but I realize you can't force it and it just has to come naturally. But lately if I'm not as into it, I just try to take a step back and enjoy a long cruiser and the passing scenery at high speeds and try not to take it or anything too seriously.

Edited by saltyant
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Good post. Not sure what a WC horn is. My enjoyment of skiing varies. Today it was pretty good but not excellent like Tuesday. Definitely better than 2 weeks ago. My interest depends on how I'm doing. If I'm skiing like a bum then it's not fun, regardless of what mountain I'm at and what the snow is like. If I'm skiing excellent like I do sometimes then it's the funnest thing in the world. IDK. I always try to get that fun feeling but I realize you can't force it and it just has to come naturally. But lately if I'm not as into it, I just try to take a step back and enjoy a long cruiser and the passing scenery at high speeds and try not to take it or anything too seriously.

Wow just wow.  I ski the same everyday...it's like pushing the cruise control button on my car. 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wow just wow.  I ski the same everyday...it's like pushing the cruise control button on my car. 

That's what gets boring for me.  There's always other stuff to ski than just set the cruise control on groomers and mach down the hill.
I rather break it up, mach in the morning when the groomers are best, move to the bumps, if they're skiable/fun, look to the side, spines, ditches, guns n' hoses.
For me, variety is the spice of life, but to each his own.  There's always parking lot beers at the end (and/or middle)!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, indiggio said:

That's what gets boring for me.  There's always other stuff to ski than just set the cruise control on groomers and mach down the hill.
I rather break it up, mach in the morning when the groomers are best, move to the bumps, if they're skiable/fun, look to the side, spines, ditches, guns n' hoses.
For me, variety is the spice of life, but to each his own.  There's always parking lot beers at the end (and/or middle)!

I don't like skiing slow..bumps are cool if they're good..I did ski the spines a few times this season with matt edge.  They can be spicy. 

Well the final day has arrived. Sitting in K1 lodge waiting for FirstTrax to start to get fresh off the gondi. Not enough snow fell to cover the cord tho so not too crowded yet. Got a pretty good parking spot, not the best, and it required slightly more walking than yesterday to Ramshead. Booted up at the car successfully so I can just go directly to the car when I call it quits. Will start on Great Northern and Maybe some Snowdon trails and Patsys woods. If it gets too crowded might go to Pico or might not.

• Thanks 1

Well did a few runs and sold my ticket for $60. Not bad considering I paid $85 for it and got a few fresh runs. Also made some guys day because I just saved him $55 and 20 minutes of standing in line. It was an easier sell at Snowshed because the line was so long for tickets. K1 no one was interested and I got yelled at by an undercover Killington agent. Probably because I went up to the window and asked how much a ticket was so I could set my price accordingly, and then they saw me panhandling. Sales is not my strong point so I'll leave that field open for people like Steeze who can sell ice to an igloo or whatever the saying is.

Edited by saltyant
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Well did a few runs and sold my ticket for $60. Not bad considering I paid $85 for it and got a few fresh runs. Also made some guys day because I just saved him $55 and 20 minutes of standing in line. It was an easier sell at Snowshed because the line was so long for tickets. K1 no one was interested and I got yelled at by an undercover Killington agent. Probably because I went up to the window and asked how much a ticket was so I could set my price accordingly, and then they saw me panhandling. Sales is not my strong point so I'll leave that field open for people like Steeze who can sell ice to an igloo or whatever the saying is.

believe it or not, multiple posters will probably complain about the nice hustle you pulled off.  its ridiculous cause there is literally no losers....you saved money and the guy you sold the ticket to saved money.

4 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

believe it or not, multiple posters will probably complain about the nice hustle you pulled off.  its ridiculous cause there is literally no losers....you saved money and the guy you sold the ticket to saved money.

Well, not “no” losers, cause the hill didn’t get to sell a second ticket, so they definitely lost. 

Not that I’m judging, and not that I would have had a problem being either party in that transaction.

3 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

Well, not “no” losers, cause the hill didn’t get to sell a second ticket, so they definitely lost. 

Not that I’m judging, and not that I would have had a problem being either party in that transaction.

true and you are correct, but I could make the argument Stowe learned a valuable lesson about not being greedy that was worth much more money than they would have made on  the ticket.  they learned that when you make unreasonable prices, you create a black market.  plus, the salary they are paying their agent to run around the lot playing rent a cop could have been saved to offset the cost of the black market they knowingly and purposely created

Edited by theprogram4

1 hour ago, theprogram4 said:

rue and you are correct, but I could make the argument Stowe learned a valuable lesson about not being greedy that was worth much more money than they would have made on  the ticket.  they learned that when you make unreasonable prices, you create a black market.  plus, the salary they are paying their agent to run around the lot playing rent a cop could have been saved to offset the cost of the black market they knowingly and purposely created

Not disagreeing, but I'd want to look at the profit margins involved in running a ski resort before complaining about ticket prices. Maybe they are unreasonable. They are certainly high from a consumer perspective. But it takes a lot of money to run a ski area; I wonder what role day-pass buyers play in the bigger picture. I mean, I think Blue's day pass prices are crazy for what you get, but if I ran the place I'm sure I'd say: "You live in Pennsylvania and we covered a mountain with snow. What do you expect?"

(Though if I ran Blue I would damn well find a way to pay for afternoon grooming.)