This is the official 2018 Stowe stoke thread. My plan is to ski Stowe 2/5 - 2/7, and then Killington 2/8 - 2/9. I've never been to Stowe before so it is going to be so rad. I threw in Killington too because I went there for the first time last season and it was one of the funnest weeks of my entire life, so I'm going back to ski some trails I missed last year.

Looks like ample freshies are in bound, and I will probably be getting buried in the perder. Thankfully I have my RTMs this week which are the perfect powder ski. It seems I hit the weather jackpot once again, since last year the conditions were also out of this world (just like outer limits, my favorite trail).

image.png.dc9d3011007bb635d61a9c1fdd84b010.png

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, tarponhead said:

Church st Sallty

Thanks, I'll check that out tomorrow. I was looking around their website and I swear a giant pop up came up that said "Don't Be Salty". I cannot figure out how to get it back but if I do I'll post the screenshot as evidence.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, saltyant said:

Currently eating a huge free breakfast at the hotel and then heading out into Burlington. Filling up like a boa constrictor on fruit loops, sausage and scrambled eggs so maybe just maybe I can skip lunch today.

Yeah that Burger King supper will taste better if you skip lunch. I know ther are all you can eat Chinese buffets in both Stowe an Burlington. Arrive before lunch ends and stay for dinner..profit!!  Get your own drink refills to avoid giving tip..remember to give just the tip to avoid little Saltys 

• Like 2

Made it, currently at Mansfield Lodge!! Steeze you mislead me, they want $45 for a tune and wax here. I could have paid only $35 in Burlington. I guess there's been some inflation since your college days. Preparing to take the over easy gondola to ask about lessons at the Spruce Lodge.

Signed up for group clinic. They'll classify me according to ability after watching me do one run. Joked with the lesson lady that they'll probably just tell me to quit skiing. Also dropped my RTMs off for the $45 tune up. There are a lot of sweet RTMs everywhere. They are definitely the most popular ski here.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Also dropped my RTMs off for the $45 tune up.

What does that include? Because that price point usually includes a base grind and you don't want to do that to your new skis without a good reason (concavity, e.g.). 

If I were you I'd do some research on ski tuning and maintenance so you know what to ask for. It seems like you keep getting gouged by shops, or up-sold services you don't need.

EDIT: Also get one of these and you won't need edge work as often. You can put a diamond stone in it, too. 

http://www.tognar.com/fk-sks-edge-trick/

Edited by SallyCat
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

What does that include? Because that price point usually includes a base grind and you don't want to do that to your new skis without a good reason (concavity, e.g.). 

If I were you I'd do some research on ski tuning and maintenance so you know what to ask for. It seems like you keep getting gouged by shops, or up-sold services you don't need.

EDIT: Also get one of these and you won't need edge work as often. You can put a diamond stone in it, too. 

http://www.tognar.com/fk-sks-edge-trick/

I'm pretty sure I got the quick wax and tune, though regardless it's too late now. :(:(:( My RTMs will be ready for 7:30 tomorrow. I was devastated to see that there's some rust along the edges. The shop told me it's normal and not to worry about it. I've been trying to wipe off the edges with a cloth after every session, but I guess I missed doing so a few times.

I'll have to spend more time researching ski tuning. Just tend to be lax about equipment maintenance and usually don't bother until something breaks. I learned how to tune my bike gears when they shift improperly, and then realized that shift tuning actually isn't difficult at all.

Edited by saltyant

Yeah, I would never even bother with a quick/machine wax. That will be gone after three or four runs. For that price, you should have gotten a hand wax. It will take longer, because the skis have to get to room temp and  the wax should cool for at least an hour. 

Also, did they ask you what edge angle you have/wanted? I wouldn't give my skis to anyone who didn't ask me that question. 

Rust is no big deal, you just need to get a gummi stone. They'll have one in any ski shop, cheap. It works like an eraser on rust and also takes down burrs.  No need to go to a shop for rust.

What shop charged you $45 for a quick wax and edge tune, btw? That's some retail badassery at any rate. 

Here's a good resource:

https://www.evo.com/guides/how-to-tune-skis-snowboards

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

What shop charged you $45 for a quick wax and edge tune, btw? That's some retail badassery at any rate. . 

Stowe. I should have shopped around for a deal but I procrastinated too much. Oh well, no big deal. I wanted finely tuned RTMs for my next few days of skiing, since I only get to do this once a year. I'll have to start doing more research and shopping around. I hate doing any kind of maintenance on anything so I tend to get lazy about it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Eh, no big deal. Keep in mid that I'm way better at maintaining my skis than actually skiing them, so I'm a little obsessive in that regard.  It's hard to avoid over-paying sometimes when you're traveling someplace new. 

Have an awesome trip!

Thanks! When discussing lubricating my bike gears with the shop, the owner recommended I use a certain type of lube, but I would need to regularly clean the drive chain. I told the owner I'll start cleaning it from now on, and he correctly replied "no you won't". He knows me too well.

• Like 1