24 minutes ago, indiggio said:

If it's a private-owned land (like Blue), they tend to not allow it.  Best to check with the mountain.

Abasin allows skinng beginning at 530am. Some of the early rising locals like doing dawn patrol before work.  The same with Mad river Glen.  I know Jackson hole no longer allows skinning during ski area operations.  Some of the cat tracks at JH have nearly blind turns and are narrow and could be serious carnage to an uphill skinner. At Jackson hole they'll arrest you if you skin uphill..imagine the liability of a skinner swept away in an early morning avalanche or blown up by an Avie bomb. Bad PR for the resort. 

https://www.google.com/amp/unofficialnetworks.com/2013/09/30/whats-mountains-uphill-ski-policy/amp/

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Thanks 1

On topic with Vermont. Ok so used to offer a free hour from 8-9am and with their fast lives locals could hammer out 5 runs before going to work for free or somebody at the end of a ski trip could get a few extra runs. You could stretch that hour out by hanging at the summit lodge after last ride drink some cocoa with mini marshmallows and then explore some woods..can always remove skis and slide down on your butt if they get too spicy.  Unfortunately no more free hour at okemo. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tarponhead said:

Still does, you are just skinning or hiking. My boys said if was a a fun run down but you had to avoid more then a few beer cans/bottles

I believe it. God, the Long Trail over Killington Peak is a disaster of beer cans, broken glass, and graffiti in the summer as a result of winter activity. Skiers/boarders have destroyed  the Cooper Lodge up there to the point that it's unusable and even trashed the wooden tent platforms. The poor Green Mountain Club can't keep up with the mayhem. Which is too bad, because it would be a gorgeous place to spend the night. 

10 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Killington is the jersey part of Vermont 

Stowe was definitely the nicer mountain. At Killington, a lot of small details stood out to me. Inside a gondola car, paint was chipped, bolts were rusted, and there was litter. The Bear Mountain Lodge bathroom looks like it belongs in a NYC subway station. The lift attendant at the Northbrook Quad has to wear ear protection because the lift motor is so loud. Still a great mountain overall, but some aspects of it are a little ghetto.  The top of K1 the lodge is very nice in comparison.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2018 at 3:17 PM, Johnny Law said:

Great Eastern is probably the best trail on the EC, when it's empty it's 3k vert of just super fun arc arc arc ok now lets look around and back to arc arc arc.

Lots of skiing tips and shit (btw learn how to put your boots on or buy a WC horn because nothing says I don't know what the fuck I'm doing like some random dude grunting like he's an 90lb asian women pushing shaq's baby out) but nobody asked you the most important question.

Are you fucking feeling this shit man ?

Lets get real, your a great skier for only skiing two years but in the overall sense you ski like shit. Now that's cool because you've only been doing it two years but before you left you had lost your mojo no ? No emotion, no zest and you'll be the worst skier of all time which is one that lacks passion.

Do you feel the passion ? When you stood up top at K1 and you clicked in were you half way to midnight ? When you got to the bottom of gondolier, before you tried to ski into the gondy did you want to ask the cute waitress if you she ever got the Cleveland steamer from a rural PA state worker at the Mansfield Inn ?

You should have because that means you got the passion, lots of peeps will spend their lives on X&O's taking lessons and get no where because they lack the passion to giv'r. You took risks when you went glades but you jerry'd right out of it by taking the skis off. Your a young man to be wound so tight, slip it, step it, shit ride your poles like amateur night at Delilahs but keep the skis on and figure out a way down. You learn alot of shit fucking around in EC woods.

If you found your passion back then this was a successful trip.................................... plus get another pair of skis if you want to run untracked in the woods, can't catch a 500lb tuna on a mickey fishing rod with a bobber.

Yeah, I love Great Eastern. Not challenging, but more a hike in the woods 🙂

57 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Stowe was definitely the nicer mountain. At Killington, a lot of small details stood out to me. Inside a gondola car, paint was chipped, bolts were rusted, and there was litter. The Bear Mountain Lodge bathroom looks like it belongs in a NYC subway station. The lift attendant at the Northbrook Quad has to wear ear protection because the lift motor is so loud. Still a great mountain overall, but some aspects of it are a little ghetto.  The top of K1 the lodge is very nice in comparison.

Stowe got like 300mil from the bailout of AIG, that's all of spruce with facilities plus the transfer gondy. Old steps was cooler but kinda low key rustic.

Killy blew up under ASC, they spent money like crack whores so when they went bankrupt they had very high maintenance costs and for 5 or so years nothing really got done. Now ownership is stable and they are coming back up. They spent a ton on snow making and some on the top lodge but they still have work to do.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

Stowe got like 300mil from the bailout of AIG, that's all of spruce with facilities plus the transfer gondy. Old steps was cooler but kinda low key rustic.

Killy blew up under ASC, they spent money like crack whores so when they went bankrupt they had very high maintenance costs and for 5 or so years nothing really got done. Now ownership is stable and they are coming back up. They spent a ton on snow making and some on the top lodge but they still have work to do.

Exactly. Read something that Killy is finally replacing the old SRT using the return path... Miss that unique lift, but love the terrain over there. 

On 2/10/2018 at 12:58 PM, SallyCat said:

Not disagreeing, but I'd want to look at the profit margins involved in running a ski resort before complaining about ticket prices. Maybe they are unreasonable. They are certainly high from a consumer perspective. But it takes a lot of money to run a ski area; I wonder what role day-pass buyers play in the bigger picture. I mean, I think Blue's day pass prices are crazy for what you get, but if I ran the place I'm sure I'd say: "You live in Pennsylvania and we covered a mountain with snow. What do you expect?"

(Though if I ran Blue I would damn well find a way to pay for afternoon grooming.)

Blue rolled back their pricing this year...pricing is simply what the market will pay.  Jackson hole charges $136 for a single day lift ticket good from 9am-4pm. It seems like a lot but you can get deals when booking airfare/lodging packages through central reservations. 

I feel like most local ski resorts run on pretty thin margins and in warm/snowless winters they likely lose money.  Reselling a daily lift ticket is considered theft of services. Lift tickets are non transferable.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shadows said:

Just skimmed through this thread for the first time. 

You're a complete fucking retard salty. Seriously. Not even from a troll standpoint. From a human standpoint. 

Well he makes a good living and has a zest for life. I can't hate..he skis a lot, bikes a lot, I imagine is good at his job, has a sense of humor and if you're on his good side he might buy you a YooHoo. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

7 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Well he makes a good living and has a zest for life. I can't hate..he skis a lot, bikes a lot, I imagine is good at his job, has a sense of humor and if you're on his good side he might buy you a YooHoo. 

Thanks Steeze. Just ignoring the haters.

• 3 weeks later...

Hashtag throw back Tuesday... When I was first in line at Stowe for perder day. Got there at 7 am sharp and made the agonizingly difficult climb up hill. Reserved first chair by making an X with ski polls. Then waited til 7:45 when tragedy struck. RFID reader failed for no reason, just for me, so I lost first chair and was demoted to 6th chair. It ended up not mattering because I still got fresh on the first run, but all but one segment was groomed. The deep pow pow pow was very difficult to make turns in, and it was too steep to bomb. Fortunately the deep was short lived and then I queued up for run #2 with 500 other people. Got inpatient after 15 seconds and queued up at the gondela with 5,000 other people for 8:30 opening. Got impatient again so rode Eggs Over Easy gondola to Spruce. Halfway thru changed my mind and rode it back to main Gondoobie. After 5 minutes of waiting got impatient again and rode Hard Boiled Egg gondola back to Spruce, to avoid the crowds and maybe get some fresh. Got maybe half an inch on a few runs but at least got to ski instead of standing around. Overall my least favorite day at Stowe out of the 4 days I spent there, but it was still an ok day.

20180208_070143.thumb.jpg.44650b07fcc9af4976d07a2d2be07e20.jpg  

• Like 1