2/7/18...wow..4" in 3 hours.

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Hey All,

I'm back from a fun session at Blue mountain the true mountain. I arrived in the lower lot around 7:50AM and Atomic Jeff, Indiggio and SallyCat were also in the house..the front end thump began on the drive up and the heavy snowfall persisted until just before 11am. 

The six pack was not running so the quad was the lift of choice. First run was about 1.5-2" of fresh snow on an immaculately groomed Razors..was nice skied it 2-3 more times.  Then over to Main Street which only had a few tracks on it so we had to go back for repeats and somewhere early on I skied a run on Switchback where the right side was completely untracked..of course I had to get the goods on X-ing a few times. 

Indiggio and atomic jeff did a few runs on the Main Street chair to get upper widowmaker. I didn't see the Main Street chair moving so I continued to the six pack and did a few runs by myself and had one lift ride with sallycat who couldn't believe how nice it was.  Free refills were the real deal this morning and a little after 1030am humongous flakes were falling.  Indiggio was even able to ski almost back to his car.  

As me and atomic jeff chilled in the lot having beer and soft pretzels the snow finally changed completely over to sleet and by the time I was in cherryville it was pure freezing rain. I believe at least 4" fell at the base of Blue before the changeover and maybe a little more up top. The lack of crowds made things great and untracked well into the morning.  I believe Atomic Jeff took a picture of the top of Main Street from 923am to show how few tracks there were.  

A shame nightmare to dreamweaver wasn't open and sidewinder was groomed and opened mid morning..JADIP!!!  

• Like 2

What a spectacular morning!  The snow really accumulated quickly, and from 8:30 to 11, it was mega fun. 

My friend Brooke had some car problems and didn't arrive until 11, so we spent about two hours skiing in the rain. It wasn't torrential but it was more than just showers. The snow was soft but really heavy; the kind of snow that shows you (well, me) that you're not as good a skier as you think. 

• Like 4

Took me full hour and 45 minutes to get there this am. During the week usually 1 hour. Wasn't snowing much at my house when I left, however by the time I got to Center Valley roads were covered and terrible. Snow was beautiful til about 1130. Lots of untracked. Looking down at completely untracked Dreamweaver was making me crazy. Soooooo wanted to poach it. Not worth losing my pass. Lazy was great. Even noodled around in the trees there a bit. 

1 minute ago, momskeeztoo said:

I left when the rain started and my goggles kept icing over. Going back tomorrow, have to go early and leave early. Stupid dentist appointment. I kinda wanted to go a little later. Might be icey death early. 

I don't think it will be icy death..there was a lot more snow than frozen snot at Blue today..everything should groom out nicely. 

12 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

Hope they don't groom until after temps go down. 

Grooming is one of Blue's biggest weak points. They never let the whales dry out before grooming after making snow. They are the best at making cookies. I bet the groomers were out at 10:01 last night and everything is frozory this morning. It should ski in nicely, though.

• Like 1

Grooming is one of Blue's biggest weak points. They never let the whales dry out before grooming after making snow. They are the best at making cookies. I bet the groomers were out at 10:01 last night and everything is frozory this morning. It should ski in nicely, though.

It’s more complicated then just bad grooming. Snow making ops and grooming two different departments and let’s just say the left hand does not always know what the right hand is planning.

But yeah, I get your point