1 hour ago, SallyCat said:

Oh lord, I'm not a mod here. :rofl  I'm a prolific poster of forum bs mostly when I have a shite ton of actual work to do.

I know you're not a mod here. I was referring to your vivid description of skiing as a hard process.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

GSSucks is right on about what type of ski your looking for as to specific model I'd base that on what you want as a skier. They make alot of skis that are " 100-110 under foot range with a bit if rocker and some camber under foot" a

If I'm not mistaken, the rocker profile I'm looking for is "freeride rocker" or at least that's what some online retailers are calling it. Of the two places for which I'm a finalist job candidate, one is a ski academy and one has a mandatory faculty backcountry ski trip every year, so yeah: I'll be able to get some solid advice on ski choice when I get where I'm going. 

I'm just daydreaming about living in each place and what the skiing would be like. 

Edited by SallyCat
  • Like 1

I like my 172s.  It's a heavy, burly ski and feels really stable but still nimble and turny. I tried 177s and they felt unwieldy to me, but then I don't make wide, fast GS turns like you guys do. 

You are not 6’ tall either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, RootDKJ said:

You are not 6’ tall either.

a ski only knows how much you weigh. chose a ski that you can fully work (i.e. flex fully). if it's a softer ski....that's ok. if it has two sheets of metal, that's ok also. if you get a ski that is too stiff for you, then that will inhibit your skiing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, guitar73 said:

???

Really? Even I'm used to these OKs by now and you can tell that salty is more confused with your ??? than with ok. ;)

I liked your comments on weight. Sizing by height is really only part of the story. But I think that it's better to err on the stiffer side than softer. A stiff ski may not bend and change radius, but it's nothing compared to a soft ski that simply wouldn't hold on edge.

3 minutes ago, eaf said:

Really? Even I'm used to these OKs by now and you can tell that salty is more confused with your ??? than with ok. ;)

I liked your comments on weight. Sizing by height is really only part of the story. But I think that it's better to err on the stiffer side than softer. A stiff ski may not bend and change radius, but it's nothing compared to a soft ski that simply wouldn't hold on edge.

OK

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

this board generally prefers skis with stiffer flexural stiffness. i wasn't sure if toast was agreeing with me or being sarcastic, as his signature suggests. to me, ski stiffness is not a "one-size fits all" thing...as others have suggested on this post. regardless of snow surface condition, if one can't control and work (i.e. bend any portion of a ski at will), then that ski isn't the optimal fit for said person. also, as you allude to eaf, ski flexural stiffness at some point becomes a personal preference. so there is that...lol.

Edited by guitar73
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2018 at 11:14 PM, SallyCat said:

I like my 172s.  It's a heavy, burly ski and feels really stable but still nimble and turny. I tried 177s and they felt unwieldy to me, but then I don't make wide, fast GS turns like you guys do. 

How could I have missed this?? This is like a ray of light reflecting of a chandelier in the room full of divas and diva talks and briefly lighting the nearby barracks where all the skis are just piled into two categories: gaper skis and the skis that fucking rip. 

But your assessment of RTMs is not without doubts. If it's burly, how's it nimble? And why does it not like crud like you've said a few posts earlier?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eaf said:

How could I have missed this?? This is like a ray of light reflecting of a chandelier in the room full of divas and diva talks and briefly lighting the nearby barracks where all the skis are just piled into two categories: gaper skis and the skis that fucking rip. 

But your assessment of RTMs is not without doubts. If it's burly, how's it nimble? And why does it not like crud like you've said a few posts earlier?

My shiros fucking rip and they are burly and also nimble and turny..I'm burly(fat) and also an agile mofo..when I'm channeling my inner Usher on the dancefloor or skiing the woods..I'd demo an RTM in a 184..and lay down railroad tracks..I wonder how they are in the bumps..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

My shiros fucking rip and they are burly and also nimble and turny..I'm burly(fat) and also an agile mofo..when I'm channeling my inner Usher on the dancefloor or skiing the woods..I'd demo an RTM in a 184..and lay down railroad tracks..I wonder how they are in the bumps..

What's the problem? The Loft at CB right now, this very moment, demoes all kinds of RTMs. And skiing in the rain is a joy to you :P

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, eaf said:

I can't find where I said anything about crud; maybe that was someone else? And were they talking about the RTM 81 or 84? I think the 84s would be savage crud-busters, actually.  I had trouble in very wet, heavy, deep snow last Wednesday afternoon, but that was because I'm not a very good skier. Not sure any other ski would have made a difference. Maybe. 

The RTM 84s grip like John Goodman holding onto a donut in a hurricane and they don't chatter (not that I go fast enough to induce chatter).  But they nimble in that they are easy to get on edge and I get a lot of energy out of a turn. I can make all sizes of turns quickly and easily.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

I can't find where I said anything about crud; maybe that was someone else? And were they talking about the RTM 81 or 84? I think the 84s would be savage crud-busters, actually.  I had trouble in very wet, heavy, deep snow last Wednesday afternoon, but that was because I'm not a very good skier. Not sure any other ski would have made a difference. Maybe. 

The RTM 84s grip like John Goodman holding onto a donut in a hurricane and they don't chatter (not that I go fast enough to induce chatter).  But they nimble in that they are easy to get on edge and I get a lot of energy out of a turn. I can make all sizes of turns quickly and easily.

First page of this thread. You said you had fun on RTMs until it turned into mashed potatoes.

I don't think ease of putting skis on edge is what being nimble describes. Maybe I'm wrong.

16 minutes ago, eaf said:

First page of this thread. You said you had fun on RTMs until it turned into mashed potatoes.

That's not crud. It was saturated mashed potatoes in the rain. I have trouble with that that's so obviously related to technique that I can't say it was the skis. Any decent skier would have blasted through that gravy-potato mess. I just can't yet. 

Edited by SallyCat

34 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

It actually looks prettt good at Blue and was being sarcastic I'm not demoing Jerry skis. 

Hey, at least their brakes hold. I knew you were being sarcastic, and so was I. You coming to CB to try RTMs would be like, IDK, a vampire coming out to a daylight. That would be the last time anybody would see you here.

But speaking of brakes... I saw a guy yesterday at Montage, and he was going up the Fastrack on what looked like alpine skis with touring bindings (his heels were not attached). He was literally just ignoring the lift and was marching up the slope with a backpack. Maybe it was his Pizza day resolution to climb Montage that way, IDK.

What looked weird was that he was going up like he was going cross country, with his skis parallel. And yet he never slipped. How was it possible?

Hey, at least their brakes hold. I knew you were being sarcastic, and so was I. You coming to CB to try RTMs would be like, IDK, a vampire coming out to a daylight. That would be the last time anybody would see you here.
But speaking of brakes... I saw a guy yesterday at Montage, and he was going up the Fastrack on what looked like alpine skis with touring bindings (his heels were not attached). He was literally just ignoring the lift and was marching up the slope with a backpack. Maybe it was his Pizza day resolution to climb Montage that way, IDK.
What looked weird was that he was going up like he was going cross country, with his skis parallel. And yet he never slipped. How was it possible?

Is this real right now?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, eaf said:

Are you sure your first name isn't Jerry?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2