Trip Report - 2/18/2018

saltyant

I didn't know he duplicated accounts onto his new forum. I thought those posters actually joined, in hindsight I should have known those posters (especially toast lol) would have never created an account. But I also never thought somebody would go to the lengths that he did. Sooo why is he being unbanned again? 

7 minutes ago, antman12 said:

I didn't know he duplicated accounts onto his new forum. I thought those posters actually joined, in hindsight I should have known those posters (especially toast lol) would have never created an account. But I also never thought somebody would go to the lengths that he did. Sooo why is he being unbanned again? 

Antman he got a three day ban which is standard.  

I thought it was pretty funny. It was creepy too, but I came down more on the side of funny. I thought it was obvious enough that it was a parody. That it didn’t really bug me. He should have saved it for April Fools Day.

If you’re reading this Salty, go ahead and cross me off that list before you show up in the Blue lot on Gaper Day.

C1293C1E-E602-4093-80DA-A15515E776DD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I love what he did! And most of you here behave like a bunch of babies. You were all eager to bully him any way you could, and when he pushed back, turned bitter. He's "weird", "creepy", "salty-land", LOL.

The funny part is that originally it wasn't even his idea to create a new forum, I think it was GSS to hand it over to him, but the way how he brought it to life was outstanding! Not a single foul word (other than fake Toast so originally telling fake GSS to STFU), no name calling or posting a bunch of harassing pictures, and nevertheless he apparently got to most posters with his satire, which is hardly a surprise because it was so damn accurate. Ironically, when I saw what he posted there, I was 100% sure that all of you actually came to that site for some fun on the new short-term playground. The hyperbola of most of the posts was obvious, but it nevertheless looked like you were just playing along. The only thing that was hardly believable was Matt's comment, and then of course I knew that my account was fake.

If my memory doesn't fail me, there was GSS vaping up in his truck getting ready to read Salty's report, Toast telling him to STFU in between of random OKs 'cause GSS just "has to respond to every post all the time", someone teasing for the lack of stats (had to be GSS, but I'm not sure), Atomic pitching in and offering his SQL consulting services for a modest fee of $500/hr to get the stats section running, me going hysterical and calling him a snob, then Sally and me exchanging about the diva site again. That's all on top of the initial mockup with his section on CB and mine on MC. Most of the time he was just skimming the surface of some recent threads, and while sometimes it was annoying, it was neither deep nor deliberately offensive. Though I could tell how Toast's telling him to STFU months ago stuck in his head and created that fake exchange between Toast and GSS.

I partly get the outbreak of hostility and the ban, 'cause hardly anybody wants to see a parody on himself, I got my share as well, but I still applaud the speed of execution, tech skills, originality and fantasy. And as for stealing the avatars, pffft, big deal, and it had to be done to make things believable. Again, hats off for a job well done. Even if you're not "talked about 5 years down the road", it's only because this will bring memories of your site back, along with the taste of awkwardness.

• Boner City 1

I love what he did! And most of you here behave like a bunch of babies. You were all eager to bully him any way you could, and when he pushed back, turned bitter. He's "weird", "creepy", "salty-land", LOL.
The funny part is that originally it wasn't even his idea to create a new forum, I think it was GSS to hand it over to him, but the way how he brought it to life was outstanding! Not a single foul word (other than fake Toast so originally telling fake GSS to STFU), no name calling or posting a bunch of harassing pictures, and nevertheless he apparently got to most posters with his satire, which is hardly a surprise because it was so damn accurate. Ironically, when I saw what he posted there, I was 100% sure that all of you actually came to that site for some fun on the new short-term playground. The hyperbola of most of the posts was obvious, but it nevertheless looked like you were just playing along. The only thing that was hardly believable was Matt's comment, and then of course I knew that my account was fake.
If my memory doesn't fail me, there was GSS vaping up in his truck getting ready to read Salty's report, Toast telling him to STFU in between of random OKs 'cause GSS just "has to respond to every post all the time", someone teasing for the lack of stats (had to be GSS, but I'm not sure), Atomic pitching in and offering his SQL consulting services for a modest fee of $500/hr to get the stats section running, me going hysterical and calling him a snob, then Sally and me exchanging about the diva site again. That's all on top of the initial mockup with his section on CB and mine on MC. Most of the time he was just skimming the surface of some recent threads, and while sometimes it was annoying, it was neither deep nor deliberately offensive. Though I could tell how Toast's telling him to STFU months ago stuck in his head and created that fake exchange between Toast and GSS.
I partly get the outbreak of hostility and the ban, 'cause hardly anybody wants to see a parody on himself, I got my share as well, but I still applaud the speed of execution, tech skills, originality and fantasy. And as for stealing the avatars, pffft, big deal, and it had to be done to make things believable. Again, hats off for a job well done. Even if you're not "talked about 5 years down the road", it's only because this will bring memories of your site back, along with the taste of awkwardness.

STFU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hey, now. Good satirical writing is time-consuming and difficult, and when it falls short it's like a turd on a brunch table; nobody wants to look directly at it and they're embarrassed for the person who put it there. You have to like doing it for its own sake, because you're going to lay turds for a long time until your tone, language, and instincts all come together, which for most writers is never. 

That prank took effort and guts, but there was just too much working against it. For one thing, the audience wasn't on Salty's side to begin with, so it wasn't going to be received as good-natured. Also, I don't think he knew whether he meant it in a playful or malicious way.  He took a run at satire and crapped on the table. That doesn't make him the Unabomber, it makes him a mediocre writer. 

Maybe just look away politely and go read some good satire.

But also, shut up, Eaf.

https://wonkette.com/

https://www.theonion.com/

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/pbs-program-or-something-liam-neeson-would-say-to-a-burrito-immediately-before-eating-it

Edited by SallyCat
  • Like 1