Montana 2/22-3/3

indiggio

9 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

That is very cool, you saw a moose. Every time I go to Vermont, I hope we see one. As long as it's not in front of the car! Would love to go to Elk County, Pa and see some elk. 

Moose are not that common in Vermont. Apparently the best place in VT to spot a moose is in the northeast kingdom. 

[mention=3285]indiggio[/mention] what time is your flight on Saturday? Mine is 1:50. I would love to meet you for a quick hello if we are there at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer! Our flight out is at 6:09am.

However, with all the storms around, I wouldn't be surprised if we're delayed or cancelled.

Big Sky - Day 5

The morning started out cloudy with some heavy flurry action going on. The peak was socked in again, so we probably wouldn't be heading up the Tram. Since we hadn't got any snow overnight, it was gonna be a search for good snow.

With the winds out of the South, we thought our best bet would be on the North side of the mountain, so that's where we started. From the Village we took Swift up and went down to the Powder Seeker, since that's what we were gonna be doing today. From the top of the lift however, we found it wasn't going to be a fun day. The light was flat and made the run blind. It was difficult just trying to see the traverse.

After fighting our way down that and having enough of the flat light, we headed for the trees. We made our way down to the Challenger lift and down Midnight. Ran the Iron Horse liftline and made our way down Elkhorn to the Six-Shooter.

Thinking that nobody goes out to the woods above Six-Shooter because it's a pain due to taking 2 lifts to get there, the snow would still be good. Luckily this paid off. We found some good snow and fun tree runs in and around the Jacks. We lapped them a few times since they were so good.

After lunch we made our way over to Andesite to hit some woods that we didn't run the past few days. War Dance and Mine Shaft were my favorites, being freaking steep with lots of soft snow and big bumps. We also ran some perfectly sized bumps on lower Mad Wolf. For shits and giggles we made a run down Freemont's Forest which turned out to be a fun roller coaster ride.

Seems as though they have their crazies out here too. On a ride up with a SP who had his radio up, a call went out for a lost person somewhere in some woods. The caller said he should be easy to spot as he's dressed in an Iron Man costume. We all got a good chuckle out of that.

We made a final run down Spotted Elk which still had some fresh piles on the sides and headed into the bar for some apres beers. Had an interesting waitress from Cleveland so we had to mess with her a bit for some fun.

Slopes were crowded today!
29d611e937e208b7bce8ee32270b5c24.jpg

Chicken Tikki Masala
97270fcbfd7759c6e745a15a8322e470.jpg

• Like 8

Big Sky - Final Day

Well the storm that's raging over the West decided to stay West of us. Day started out with flurries but the storm never materialized and flurries were the max we received.

We're gonna try the South Face, but Dakota was in hold so we hung out for a while on Andesite. Took some runs down Blackfoot which was pretty good with snow, trees and bumps.

Went back up Swift and saw Dakota was open, even though the big board still said it was on hold. Ran the trees over in Bavarian which were fun, but snow was wind blown and crusty, so we headed back to the Nirth side for lunch at the Burrito Shack at the top of Swift. I had a loaded tamale with black beans and guac which was quite good.

Spent the rest of the day in search of good snow as most was wind-blown. Ran the bumps under the Ramcharger lift a few times as they hadn't been skied much. Getting late and need to pack, so made one final run down Spotted Elk which had some huge bumps, but surprisingly good snow.

I REALLY like both Bridger and Big Sky except for the cost of flights. Had a real good time at both and would definitely return to either or both. Both have some serious steepness to them and would have liked to get to some of the more challenging terrain if the weather had cooperated, unfortunately it didn't on this trip. Perhaps the next.

• Like 4

• 7 months later...