Jackson hole 2018

theprogram4

Got sick on Tuesday and have felt like crap since.  Flew out of Newark and Got to the condo under moose creek quad at 4 yesterday, fell asleep at 5 and woke up at 8 am feeling just as crappy.  Got to the top of the gondola at 10 am and took 2 groomers.  They were fun as hell and a reminder why I love the groomers here so much.  Next went to asperes vous and rode the glade to the right a few times, it was fun but pretty bumped up, as well as a groomer or two.  Then went to whatever lift is to the left of that for a mix of glades and groomers.  After lunch, went to the tram.  Got to the top and went thru the Cody bowl gates.

to be continued...

Went thru the gates to Cody bowl.  First 1/3 was untracked virgin pow.  For sure top 5 run of my life.  Then I came upon a cliff, but it was too steep to hike back up. I had to unstrap, flip over to my stomach, and use to board to hold me from sliding down.  It was scary as hell.  Anyway,. I made it to an area with a chute that was doable, struggled to strap in but did made it thru the shoot.  In the top right of the pic you can see where I traversed, then the chute I took.  Got a little more Virgin pow then had to walk a flat that took almost a half an hour.  After the flat there was powder that was a little choppy, but still very nice and better than what was in bounds.  Eventually we came out at the bottom of hobacks.  When I unstrapped at the condo, as soon as I planted my foot on the ground,. I felt a sharp pain in my knee and actually fell over.  As of now I can barely put weight on my right leg.  It was a non contact injury too, cause I didn't hit it on anything.  I think all the breaks in the bowl fucked it up, cause I usually fall on my knees for a break then flip over onto my ass.  My mom thinks I tore my miniscuS.  Anyway, great first day and hopefully not the last day.

You're an idiot TP4.  Going out the Cody Bowl gate with no experience?  Did you not hear "if you don't know, don't go" on the tram?  At least you had transceiver, shovel, probe, and the required experience and backcountry knowledge.  

In case you didn't know, you actually were in Rock Springs.

Hope you feel better dude, but that's just some stupid ass shit.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, GSSucks said:

You’re a fucking idiot, what was the avalanche danger posting at the gate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was more thinking that there are so many huge unmarked cliffs and people die out there every season. I think it was moderate yesterday. Report is removed from JHavalanche 

1 hour ago, AtomicSkier said:

You're an idiot TP4.  Going out the Cody Bowl gate with no experience?  Did you not hear "if you don't know, don't go" on the tram?  At least you had transceiver, shovel, probe, and the required experience and backcountry knowledge.  

In case you didn't know, you actually were in Rock Springs.

Hope you feel better dude, but that's just some stupid ass shit.

1 hour ago, GSSucks said:

You’re a fucking idiot, what was the avalanche danger posting at the gate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys think I don't fucking know that?  You think I was considering doing it again?   To think I didn't say half way down, this was a bad idea?  Of course I know it was a stupid fucking thing to do.  I don't need you guys rubbing it in my fucking face.  Despite the stupidity of it, I did make it down safely on terrain I will never ride (and rightfully so) again.

if it makes you guys feel better, my trip is over as I just got back from the ER with a torn miniscus (no, it didn't happen out of bounds).  The doctor said he thinks it happened early on in the day and got worse as the day went on.  I hit my knee a little hard off Aspres vous like 3rd run of the day, but it didn't hurt so I didn't think any of it.

What's depressing is if I would have got injured out of bounds, I could blame myself for being a dumbass.  However, I have no idea how this injury occurred.  My only guess is either when I bumped my knee near apres vous lift  but didn't feel anything, or constantly switching from my knees to backside when I would stop for a break 

Glad you are safe.

We shouldn’t shame him, even though it was dumb. I think it’s good to encourage people to share their experiences so we can learn from them.

TP4 thanks for sharing this story, maybe you prevented someone from getting themselves into danger by doing something similar in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5

What's depressing is if I would have got injured out of bounds, I could blame myself for being a dumbass.  However, I have no idea how this injury occurred.  My only guess is either when I bumped my knee near apres vous lift  but didn't feel anything, or constantly switching from my knees to backside when I would stop for a break 
How long before you can ride again?