Le Massif de Charlevoix 3-7-18

Ride Delaware ?

After a great day at Mont Sainte Anne yesterday, we headed northeast to Le Massif today, which is quickly cementing itself as my favorite East Coast Mountain.

Le Massif is 35 minutes northeast of the hotel and the drive was uneventful. We pulled in just before 9 AM and were on the slopes by 9:15. We snagged a spot in the first parking lot, and repeating my trip from last season, we headed skiers left to the only lift that isn’t a t2b lift. I decided to start off my day with a woods run that I did last year, and found the trees just as enjoyable if not a little tighter than I remembered. It was the first real trees I had hit this year, and it was good to be back. After a couple runs off that lift, we decided to head to the bottom.

I had forgotten how long the 2,500’ vertical drop took to cover, and how little run out there is at the bottom. The mountain is steep and mostly consists of blue and black terrain. We encountered our only lift lines of the day at the gondola, and they only lasted about 5 minutes. The gondola is a refreshing 12 minute ride to the top. After 5 or 6 t2b runs, we grabbed our sandwiches out of the car and headed to the bottom to eat. The lodge was full, but we were still able to find a seat.

After lunch we headed to the skiers right of the mountain off of the t2b HSQ’s and took some laps there. Things got slightly skied off by the end of the day, but conditions were mostly packed powder and were much softer than MSA the day before.

We ended the day with another run or two off the first HSQ and then a couple t2b runs. I had forgotten how tiring putting in that much vert can be.

Overall, another great day. It flurried all day, but it is supposed to snow 10”-12” overnight, so tomorrow should be epic. I think we are headed back there. If we have the same crowds as today, I think we are in for a treat.

39b256594a9ae458cd2d8e380d6d09b5.jpg

4e911189a7792ccfea7a3d3f7fff5e06.jpg

85bedace7b823777fb37cb1aac99c9fc.jpg

be3afb82606f71a175b8df2048b3d92f.jpg

90df298881032484579e29043638b547.jpg

8367925038074bc1ff384940c6788a97.jpg

242881d4c24f5f4b19322d22d3d99528.jpg

7efd71138e0cc4de071a80446893ad9e.jpg

c11f66a4d17226e7b1007f2d2e91383f.jpg

• Like 6

Massif is the shit

This is my second year here. I have yet to be disappointed. If I end up making more money than I expect to, I may just get a private jet and a place up here. It’s phenomenal.

Have you been to Massif du Sud? We are looking at trying it out on our way back to VT.

1 hour ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

This is my second year here. I have yet to be disappointed. If I end up making more money than I expect to, I may just get a private jet and a place up here. It’s phenomenal.

Have you been to Massif du Sud? We are looking at trying it out on our way back to VT.

My recollection is one lift and a poma maybe, if that's it trees off the back were excellent, mostly blacks and higher elevation maybe. I remember pines just absolutely caked in snow.

Good day if I'm thinking of the right place