Jack Frost - 3/13/2018 - Get After It

EdBacon

10 minutes ago, Schif said:

Pretty much everyone I started snowboarding with back in the day has completely dropped off the mountain. 

That's common. A lot of people ski and ride in their teens funded by parents or part time jobs and are broke in their 20s and give it up.  People have student loan debt, wanna buy houses, get chicks pregnant and life gets in the way.  

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I've never found snowboarders and jibhonks in general to be early risers. 

lol no not at all. I'm definitely the exception to that.

7 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Skis are just a better form of transportation than snowboards.  I will sell that Antman rides pretty fast especially considering he doesn't weigh much. 

haha like I said in a previous topic; I can only go as fast as my board will let me if I want to go fast.

The main thing for me is that its just what I grew up with. I'm in my 20s now and don't want to relearn. 

I'll switch to skiing when I find lines that I can't ride on a board. Until then, I want to get at it and this is what I know how to do. Plus you get that surfy feeling which is super fun in powder.

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wow you're like my fourth favorite Hall and Oates song,"Out of Touch". The sidewinder park used way too much snow, was costly to maintain and most weren't good enough for the big dawg booters.  Blue has four other terrain parks for the Jibhonks including jumps and even a bonk yard.

I still think that they should put a carpet lift in to serve the two lower parks. When park rats wanted to lap park in the past they could ride up and come down Sidewinder to the lower parks and repeat. Be nice to give them the ability to just lap the jump line or the rail yard if they want to.

• Like 3

Just now, enjoralas said:

I still think that they should put a carpet lift in to serve the two lower parks. When park rats wanted to lap park in the past they could ride up and come down Sidewinder to the lower parks and repeat. Be nice to give them the ability to just lap the jump line or the rail yard if they want to.

+1. I've been saying that for years. It would help with cutting down the lines for the sixpack and traffic on the upper trails as well. A lot of kids just want to ride park but now they have to go all the way to the top and scrape down the trails all the way to the park. Just put in a handle tow or carpet and let them ride park.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdBacon said:

The main thing for me is that its just what I grew up with. I'm in my 20s now and don't want to relearn. 

I'll switch to skiing when I find lines that I can't ride on a board. Until then, I want to get at it and this is what I know how to do. Plus you get that surfy feeling which is super fun in powder.

Us skiers get that surfy feeling as well. I don't want to give up time off skis to learn to snowboard. I've never had an interest in snowboarding although I used to skateboard(not well) I mainly went down hills and also used to tool around on an old roommates longboard.  I always found the toe side turns a lot easier than heal side turns. 

36 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

This would be incredible. Some places (bigger mtns of course) have tow ropes like Track said.

• Like 1

Is there room for a rope tow?  I don't see it happening.  The park scene isn't a big priority at Blue anymore ever since they got rid of the half pipe and big air bag. 

For the rope tow or carpet wouldn't you seen two additional employees for the bottom and the top?

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

31 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

+1. I've been saying that for years. It would help with cutting down the lines for the sixpack and traffic on the upper trails as well. A lot of kids just want to ride park but now they have to go all the way to the top and scrape down the trails all the way to the park. Just put in a handle tow or carpet and let them ride park.

Generally speaking your right but I actually choose to get a pass to blue because even with below average parks, being able to ride an actual mountain is nice. Compared to Bear or BB your stuck on slow lifts with little terrain outside of the parks.

• Like 1

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Is there room for a rope tow?  I don't see it happening.  The park scene isn't a big priority at Blue anymore ever since they got rid of the half pipe and big air bag. 

How much width would a tow rope need? 10 ft.? I'm sure they could fit one on the side of the lower park. Not that they ever actually would.

Half pipes are a complete waste of snow and money on the East coast. Some northern mtns have them of course, but they also hold marque events.

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wow you're like my fourth favorite Hall and Oates song,"Out of Touch". The sidewinder park used way too much snow, was costly to maintain and most weren't good enough for the big dawg booters.  Blue has four other terrain parks for the Jibhonks including jumps and even a bonk yard. 

Its been discussed before that theres not as much of a freeride scene at Blue as a decade ago.  A decade ago a lot of high school and college kids were at Blue in the park on a regular basis and most have grown up and are only on park skis on gaper day. 

Also, Big Boulder puts far more effort into their park and thus the true park riders tend to go there instead of Blue.

48 minutes ago, antman12 said:

Half pipes are a complete waste of snow and money on the East coast. Some northern mtns have them of course, but they also hold marque events.

Halfpipes used to be awesome. I remember being 13 or 14 and getting super stoked to go to Camelback because they had a halfpipe and Montage didn't. By the time I was 17 I realized that I had never once been in a well maintained pipe and it was tough to ride a misshapen crusty ditch and I lost complete interest. I get the feeling that the drop in the park scene around here in PA is directly related to the downfall of snowboarding. You can see it all over. Fewer young kids on boards, less of a selection when you go to shops. 

Last Sunday I rode the lift with a guy and his little daughter, both on snowboards. I feel like this is where the next generation is coming from, shredding parents getting tiny little boards for their kids, not the hoards of teens getting snowboards for Christmas like when I was coming up. Totally a wild guess, but I'm getting the feeling that kids nowadays aren't really into hucking themselves down a mountain on their own anymore. There are 10,000 things to watch on the internet and TV now so the novelty of seeing the X games or something like that isn't striking a chord like it did for my generation and making kids want to get out and try snowboarding. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Schif said:

Halfpipes used to be awesome. I remember being 13 or 14 and getting super stoked to go to Camelback because they had a halfpipe and Montage didn't. By the time I was 17 I realized that I had never once been in a well maintained pipe and it was tough to ride a misshapen crusty ditch and I lost complete interest. I get the feeling that the drop in the park scene around here in PA is directly related to the downfall of snowboarding. You can see it all over. Fewer young kids on boards, less of a selection when you go to shops. 

Last Sunday I rode the lift with a guy and his little daughter, both on snowboards. I feel like this is where the next generation is coming from, shredding parents getting tiny little boards for their kids, not the hoards of teens getting snowboards for Christmas like when I was coming up. Totally a wild guess, but I'm getting the feeling that kids nowadays aren't really into hucking themselves down a mountain on their own anymore. There are 10,000 things to watch on the internet and TV now so the novelty of seeing the X games or something like that isn't striking a chord like it did for my generation and making kids want to get out and try snowboarding. 

Sooo many good points here Schif. Like you said I've never actually ridden a well groomed/maintained halfpipe. 

I also agree that the younger generation snowboarders are coming up from their parents influencing them. I can directly relate to this with my niece and nephew.

I agree with Schif, definitely see less snowboarders.  My oldest is 19 and been on a snowboard since he was 7.  He absolutely loves it and would never consider switching to skiing.  But most of his friends he used to ride with have either switched or lost interest altogether.  

A theory I have for why people dropped out of snowboarding is that they primarily did it when they were younger for the social aspect of it, not necessarily because they were personally stoked on the sport. My brother skied for a long time but stepped away from it. Kind of coincided with him going to college and his ski buddies from back home spread out and didn't go as much. 

I think that the kind of people that stick with the sport long term are the kind of people that can do it alone. I think it's safe to say that everyone here on PASR has been up to the mountain solo and had an awesome time. Obviously it's awesome to hit up the mountain with a bunch of awesome people, and occasionally bbq and drink beer with them there, but it's not a prerequisite for getting out there and shredding. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Schif said:

A theory I have for why people dropped out of snowboarding is that they primarily did it when they were younger for the social aspect of it, not necessarily because they were personally stoked on the sport. My brother skied for a long time but stepped away from it. Kind of coincided with him going to college and his ski buddies from back home spread out and didn't go as much. 

I think that the kind of people that stick with the sport long term are the kind of people that can do it alone. I think it's safe to say that everyone here on PASR has been up to the mountain solo and had an awesome time. Obviously it's awesome to hit up the mountain with a bunch of awesome people, and occasionally bbq and drink beer with them there, but it's not a prerequisite for getting out there and shredding. 

The majority of my skiing has been solo until I joined PASR..

10 minutes ago, Schif said:

I think this hits it perfectly. 

It was thing to do after school with your friends, but a handful of us really caught the bug and kept going.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, antman12 said:

Sooo many good points here Schif. Like you said I've never actually ridden a well groomed/maintained halfpipe. 

I also agree that the younger generation snowboarders are coming up from their parents influencing them. I can directly relate to this with my niece and nephew.

I'd add that kids these days are generally alot more risk adverse. First even though you could argue about what exactly attention is kids above a certain income level get way more attention from their parents now then in days past. Parents are adults and naturally more risk adverse. Second kids get less time with other kids and less time with other kids unsupervised.  When I was a kid I got off the bus around 3, told my parents I was home from school and then was gone until 630. No phones, no real idea where I was which means I did alot of stuff because my friends wanted to and we go into alot of shenanigans. Now days it's so structured kids don't get into the same kind of trouble but the legal punishments are way worse. I'm talking normal kid/teenager shit like shop lifting, ditching school, minor vandalism, being a dick, etc etc, we got cops tell your parents and you get yelled at but these kids are getting in the system. Lastly kids now are alot smarter, not wiser but they know alot more shit. They have the internet and school is alot more hardcore. There is no way around it dumber people generally take alot more risks.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

I'd add that kids these days are generally alot more risk adverse. First even though you could argue about what exactly attention is kids above a certain income level get way more attention from their parents now then in days past. Parents are adults and naturally more risk adverse. Second kids get less time with other kids and less time with other kids unsupervised.  When I was a kid I got off the bus around 3, told my parents I was home from school and then was gone until 630. No phones, no real idea where I was which means I did alot of stuff because my friends wanted to and we go into alot of shenanigans. Now days it's so structured kids don't get into the same kind of trouble but the legal punishments are way worse. I'm talking normal kid/teenager shit like shop lifting, ditching school, minor vandalism, being a dick, etc etc, we got cops tell your parents and you get yelled at but these kids are getting in the system. Lastly kids now are alot smarter, not wiser but they know alot more shit. They have the internet and school is alot more hardcore. There is no way around it dumber people generally take alot more risks.

Some solid points here too. I'm getting a glimpse at this kind of stuff with my girlfriend's little 8 year old brother. The kid is legit scared of physical harm. When I was that age I was probably afraid of the dark and maybe monsters, but I sure as hell wasn't scared of climbing a tree or crashing my bike. I don't know, I'm not a parent but I look at the way that this kid lives his life and I can't tell if its super weird, or if I'm just being an old dude looking back on the good old days. Maybe it's just the difference between growing up with a Sega Genesis and having your own iPad and X-box. Maybe he will want to get out and shred one day, but I'm getting the feeling that his parents will put him in a series of lessons first and after he falls down a few times he's going to get bored of it and want to go home. 

42 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

I knew absolutely none of this stuff. When it comes to the next generation I'm like my fourth favorite Hall and Oates song,"Out of Touch"   I do remember my mom making me go out and play until dinner time and never having much in the way of homework until I was in college and I heard kids today get lots of homework.  I feel like the younger generation is more conservative except for sorority girls who are freaks. 

I dunno. For one thing I grew up in a rural area, so playing outside was basically the only thing to do. 

I teach college kids. I would say priorities are different now. People feel they have to be more career oriented earlier on in life. There's a sense that if  you don't have things planned out going into college, then you're something of a loser. I think younger kids now have less time to devote towards hobbies if they're told those hobbies won't help them towards a career. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EdBacon said:

I dunno. For one thing I grew up in a rural area, so playing outside was basically the only thing to do. 

I teach college kids. I would say priorities are different now. People feel they have to be more career oriented earlier on in life. There's a sense that if  you don't have things planned out going into college, then you're something of a loser. I think younger kids now have less time to devote towards hobbies if they're told those hobbies won't help them towards a career. 

I went to college ready to be the next Donald trump and tackle Wall Street.  Well junior year I visited Manhatten with the finance club and saw that being a Wall Street analyst was not what I wanted to do so when I graduated from college I took a job at the Allentown Merrill lynch making cold calls and a year later was sick of it and moved to Montana for 18 months.  College turned me into a functional alcoholic and pothead..

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I went to college ready to be the next Donald trump and tackle Wall Street.  Well junior year I visited Manhatten with the finance club and saw that being a Wall Street analyst was not what I wanted to do so when I graduated from college I took a job at the Allentown Merrill lynch making cold calls and a year later was sick of it and moved to Montana for 18 months.  College turned me into a functional alcoholic and pothead..

I teach biology so its mainly pre-med and pre-pharm students. Hyper career oriented in a lot of cases. These kids are under a lot of pressure to perform. I feel bad for them. Life has a way of working itself out and a lot of what you stress over in college you realize didn't matter in the long run. 

• Like 3