Weekend roll call thread 3/17-3/18

8 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Does their 

Does their mom also give them allowance??  Get them real savings accounts. I've had one since I was 5. I used to really rack up the savings as a young kid at Xmas and bdays. A real bank account will show them what interest is like in 2018 not 1979 like the 10% you give them now.  When I was ten I had a major interest in salaries and would look at stats on average incomes in different areas and by different professions. I wanted to be a brain surgeon back then because it paid like $400,000 a year.  

I think the the fact that they are twins neither one is gonna want to have less money than the other which will make them hoard even more. 

Yep the twin factor definitely encourages hoarding and is one reason I am trying to break them of it. Real savings account and going from Daddy interest rate to real world interest rate will happen once they collect real money for Bat Mitzvah at 13. Not gonna pay 10% interest on larger sums like that.

Mom gives them allowance, but less.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

Yep the twin factor definitely encourages hoarding and is one reason I am trying to break them of it. Real savings account and going from Daddy interest rate to real world interest rate will happen once they collect real money for Bat Mitzvah at 13. Not gonna pay 10% interest on larger sums like that.

Nothing about this surprises me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Allowance will be a moot point after their Bat Mitzvahs. They'll clean up.  I never wanted a Bar Mitzvah, I dropped out of Sunday school in 4th grade so I got a paper route instead. I remember kids getting at least a couple grand for their Bar Mitzvahs. One really rich kid I knew who's dad is a venture capitalist received $5,000 just from his dads business partner.  Crazy 

• Like 1

I think it's pretty cool to teach the kids a little about responsible spending and to an extent financial literacy. 

I got a joint bank account with my Dad when I was 13 so I had somewhere to put my paychecks from working at the golf course. Eventually I even got myself a debit card. I was one snazzy 15 year old walking around with my own plastic. 

• Like 2

One day we all die and that kind of sucks but it's going to suck alot more if you haven't lived your life.

Logic, reason, science these are things near and dear to my heart but sometimes you have to put the experience ahead of dollars and cents. Shit some of the best times in my life have been when I absolutely shouldn't have spent x on doing y but I did it anyways.

Kids are only young once, you only get to watch them grow and develop for so long and then if you did a really good job they leave and go live their life.

How much is a smile on your kids faces worth ? How about time spent together doing something you both actually like ?

Money can't buy time and it sure as fuck can't buy you a specific moment in time, it's a tool, a means to an end, nothing more.

Lastly and maybe most important your kid's are going to be messed up if every life decision requires actuarial tables and GAP accounting.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

I'm still confused by the term "hoarding" being used interchangeably with the word "saving"

$300 isn't hoarding money any more than $300,000 is.  No matter what the age.

They need to learn to spend as well as save. If I just wanted the money to all be saved, I would keep it in my own account and spend it on stuff for them. My idea is to get them to strike a balance, make financial decisions, and understand thst some good things they need to spend for rather than counting on Dad to provide.

When the impulse to save is just to "not have less than sister" I do not see that as a good thing as they need to learn to decide what is worth something to them, not just to keep score with their siblings. I point out that I make a lot less than my siblings' families make, but it doesn't matter to me - what matters is that I can afford the things that are important for the 3 of us. 

So I see saving towards a goal as a good thing, but being afraid to spend on something you want just because it will give you a lower score than your sister a bad thing.

May wind up skiing with just one of them and having the other spend the day with grandma if they can't agree on what to do.

1 minute ago, Schif said:

I think it's pretty cool to teach the kids a little about responsible spending and to an extent financial literacy. 

I got a joint bank account with my Dad when I was 13 so I had somewhere to put my paychecks from working at the golf course. Eventually I even got myself a debit card. I was one snazzy 15 year old walking around with my own plastic. 

Wow I never had plastic until college.  I remember when taking $60 out of the ATM was a lot..now I'm pissed if an ATM has a maximum of $200. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

One day we all die and that kind of sucks but it's going to suck alot more if you haven't lived your life.

Logic, reason, science these are things near and dear to my heart but sometimes you have to put the experience ahead of dollars and cents. Shit some of the best times in my life have been when I absolutely shouldn't have spent x on doing y but I did it anyways.

Kids are only young once, you only get to watch them grow and develop for so long and then if you did a really good job they leave and go live their life.

How much is a smile on your kids faces worth ? How about time spent together doing something you both actually like ?

Money can't buy time and it sure as fuck can't buy you a specific moment in time, it's a tool, a means to an end, nothing more.

Lastly and maybe most important your kid's are going to be messed up if every life decision requires actuarial tables and GAP accounting.

I take them skiing every weekend and I max out the time I spend with them every way possible. I definitely spend more time with them post Divorce than I did when we were together, when I would often prefer working late to coming home to an angry spouse.

But if they prefer another day at Blue to spending a little to go to Elk thst is fine too. Winter Park for us all in another week.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

40 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Don't blame me, I just posted I was deciding between Blue and Elk, was not trying to start a debate on financial practices in parenting.

No one started a debate on financial practices in parenting. You brought it up as a straw man to obfuscate the fact that you’re a cheap shit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, enjoralas said:

No one started a debate on financial practices in parenting. You brought it up as a straw man to obfuscate the fact that you’re a cheap shit. 

You really think saving money on the trip is something that is any way relevant to me wanting my girls to take part in a financial decision to spend more money for a unique experience? 

And why the insulting language?

7 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

You really think saving money on the trip is something that is any way relevant to me wanting my girls to take part in a financial decision to spend more money for a unique experience? 

And why the insulting language?

Because you deserve to be insulted

• Haha 1