When power goes off and brakes don't work

eaf

16 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Yes.  that is the take away from this.  I think it proves that staying on to go around the bull wheel in hopes "something good will happen", doesnt work out well.  

that video is hard to watch.  Cant wish that shit on anybody.  

It really is. One of the videos I saw, you can see that when the first chair gets stuck there’s still someone on it. Then all the other chairs start piling up.

would this be even worse on a detachable? The chairs would detach, right, and then just start smashing together at the bottom, wouldn’t they?

or would they not detach, because the “reattach” unit doesn’t work in reverse? I’m having trouble picturing it . . .

51 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Many people in the comments raged about seeing so much footage made from so many angles. Everybody apparently was just standing there and taking shots of crashing chairs, with little or no attempt of warning those who were still incoming. And this comment by a Belorussian snowboarder from the article is what I think most of those bystanders were using as an excuse for themselves after the fact... "They were all jumping to safety, so we just took our time shooting the process."

"The 32-year-old, who was there with friends, said they jumped and once on the ground took video of other people jumping to safety"

8 minutes ago, eaf said:

Many people in the comments raged about seeing so much footage made from so many angles. Everybody apparently was just standing there and taking shots of crashing chairs, with little or no attempt of warning those who were still incoming. And this comment by a Belorussian snowboarder from the article is what I think most of those bystanders were using as an excuse for themselves after the fact... "They were all jumping to safety, so we just took our time shooting the process."

"The 32-year-old, who was there with friends, said they jumped and once on the ground took video of other people jumping to safety"

I'd be taking video if I was a bystander...I'm that guy that slows down to get an extra good glimpse of a car wreck...gaper delay GSS. The video is good for when the injured Sue the ski resort. That lift is pretty low near the bottom. A lot of lifts climb high pretty fast. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

16 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I'd be taking video if I was a bystander...I'm that guy that slows down to get an extra good glimpse of a car wreck...gaper delay GSS. The video is good for when the injured Sue the ski resort. That lift is pretty low near the bottom. A lot of lifts climb high pretty fast. 

It's Georgia, not US. Nobody's gonna or will be able to sue anybody.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, SallyCat said:

I don't think it's an issue of intelligence/dimness, but rather how good you are at very quickly assessing a situation under a lot of stress and uncertainty. Jumping off a chairlift is such a counter-intuitive thing to do, you'd have to fully understand what was happening to the chairs when they hit the bullwheel. If you're facing uphill and all you know is that you're moving backward, I think a reasonable person could conclude that the safest thing to do is stay on the chair. In part because not jumping off a chairlift is such an ingrained habit. And then by the time you realize you're wrong, it's too late. It's easy for us to watch with a bird's eye view and see people being dumb, but they didn't have all the information we have when we watch the vid. 

EDIT: Jesus, though, that last person in the red jacket. At that point people are yelling and you can hear the chairs smashing. That was hard to watch.

Fear will make a person freeze up. 

• Like 2