Magic Mountain 3/29

SallyCat

On my way back to PA to deal with some house stuff so I stopped at Magic for a few runs. It's $29 on Thursdays. 

So I did Wizard, a blue trail and was like holy shite what kind of blue trail has steep, narrow chutes!?!?

I'm on the lift now having partially side-slipped a GREEN trail that had MOGULS. 

The snow is like butter and much of the mountain is ungroomed. It's been a crazy, amazing experience so far!

IMG_4190.thumb.JPG.061c7eb302244973d61f9a5692203a65.JPGIMG_4191.thumb.JPG.14bf94877767febb22065be2ccf879e6.JPGIMG_4188.thumb.JPG.47d2d50e1f1394c1d0c0998c2db670fc.JPG

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

On my way back to PA to deal with some house stuff so I stopped at Magic for a few runs. It's $29 on Thursdays. 

So I did Wizard, a blue trail and was like holy shite what kind of blue trail has steep, narrow chutes!?!?

I'm on the lift now having partially side-slipped a GREEN trail that had MOGULS. 

The snow is like butter and much of the mountain is ungroomed. It's been a crazy, amazing experience so far!

IMG_4190.thumb.JPG.061c7eb302244973d61f9a5692203a65.JPGIMG_4191.thumb.JPG.14bf94877767febb22065be2ccf879e6.JPGIMG_4188.thumb.JPG.47d2d50e1f1394c1d0c0998c2db670fc.JPG

Me so jelly!  Have fun!

The challenge factor has been raised on Red Line with those bare spots!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

How many season passes are you gonna buy?  You’ll definitely become a bump head!!!

Midweek Okemo for $279 and Magic/Freedom for around 400 I think.  Not bad, eh? I don't plan to be working full time!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Midweek Okemo for $279 and Magic/Freedom for around 400 I think.  Not bad, eh? I don't plan to be working full time!

Cool just looked at the freedom pass areas....good that you have an Okemo pass. Some seasons Magic doesn’t open until mid season and only for a short time. 

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Cool just looked at the freedom pass areas....good that you have an Okemo pass. Some seasons Magic doesn’t open until mid season and only for a short time. 

Yeah, and the Freedom gets you 50% of Killington and a few other places. I'd hate to be up here and not get to explore a bit.

GSS is stuck in the 90's. Magic has new owners who have been making improvements to the facilities with the primary focus on snowmaking. They will still have a lot of natural only trails but will open in December and go as long as they can into spring. You seem like the kind of person who will love the place and the regulars there.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

Wizard can be tough in spots. I'm guessing that they didn't want to groom to preserve snow for the weekend. Most of the trails are natural snow trails only.

It's funny, some trails ate groomed, many are not, and some (Wizard, e.g.) have one groomed track. 

16 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

GSS is stuck in the 90's. Magic has new owners who have been making improvements to the facilities with the primary focus on snowmaking. They will still have a lot of natural only trails but will open in December and go as long as they can into spring. You seem like the kind of person who will love the place and the regulars there.

I believe the new owners are trying to make some intermediate terrain accessible as well, basically on the East side

Sally, I seriously am so jealous of you right now. Every day I come on here and you're having one awesome adventure after another. Way to get out there and live the dream. 

PS Magic Mountain looks awesome, really was never on my radar before but it looks sweet. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Schif said:

Sally, I seriously am so jealous of you right now. Every day I come on here and you're having one awesome adventure after another. Way to get out there and live the dream. 

PS Magic Mountain looks awesome, really was never on my radar before but it looks sweet. 

SallyCat inspires me to save more money so I can retire younger 

1 hour ago, SallyCat said:

I believe the new owners are trying to make some intermediate terrain accessible as well, basically on the East side

Magic is a great mountain. I hit it earlier this month when conditions were great. I imagine the base is a little thin and wet right now.

The new owners have made significant improvements in a short period of time. They got the Black lift running and were working on the Green lift when the lift mechanic who was doing the work died. They said it will be running next year. It will serve the east side about 3/4 up the mountain.

Thanks, @Schif ! Evidently I was a textbook example of "occupational burnout" right before I quit work, so I guess I need a little time off, and I'm super grateful that I'm healthy and that I could swing it financially. I definitely downsized my living space but expanded everything else!

I plan to be at Blue Saturday; hope to get to say hello-goodbye to many PASRs!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I thought Magic was a co-op like mad river glen. 

No that ended awhile back I believe.

Sally you need a touring rig.

Ascutney died because the people that owned it kinda sucked and owned the now defunct Blue Marsh Area, PA trash.

That's nice because the lifts don't run but the trails are still clean.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Law said:

No that ended awhile back I believe.

Sally you need a touring rig.

Ascutney died because the people that owned it kinda sucked and owned the now defunct Blue Marsh Area, PA trash.

That's nice because the lifts don't run but the trails are still clean.

Ascutney Outdoors just built a lodge with a donated building frame and volunteer labor. They have a huge rope tow and a grooming truck and are putting in a t-bar soon. 

I hope to volunteer with them; it's an amazing resource for local families who want to get their kids skiing without going broke from lift prices. 

Brownsville is a happening place these days; even the general store is re-opening. VT mtb festival is at Ascutney this year, too.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, SallyCat said:

Ascutney Outdoors just built a lodge with a donated building frame and volunteer labor. They have a huge rope tow and a grooming truck and are putting in a t-bar soon. 

I hope to volunteer with them; it's an amazing resource for local families who want to get their kids skiing without going broke from lift prices. 

Brownsville is a happening place these days; even the general store is re-opening. VT mtb festival is at Ascutney this year, too.

Are you moving up there? MAGIC is a good mountain vibe wise and has struggled in the shadows of Stratton and Okemo. They have better advanced terrain than either. They finally got a decent infusion of cash last year with new ownership and focused on fixing/restoring/expanding the snowmaking system, I think they picked up some new snow fans. The black lift is finally running. A lot of folks are diehards there like any other hill, and prolly had one of the best seasons there this year. The co-op collapsed, there was some bad blood with Sullivan, but I think there wasn't any evidence of misappropriation of the money. I could be completely wrong about that. TGR and AZ have relatively active threads for Magic, and the douchebag:good natured ratio is very low.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, moe ghoul said:

Are you moving up there? MAGIC is a good mountain vibe wise and has struggled in the shadows of Stratton and Okemo. They have better advanced terrain than either. They finally got a decent infusion of cash last year with new ownership and focused on fixing/restoring/expanding the snowmaking system, I think they picked up some new snow fans. The black lift is finally running. A lot of folks are diehards there like any other hill, and prolly had one of the best seasons there this year. The co-op collapsed, there was some bad blood with Sullivan, but I think there wasn't any evidence of misappropriation of the money. I could be completely wrong about that. TGR and AZ have relatively active threads for Magic, and the douchebag:good natured ratio is very low.

Moving to Brownsville next month; just a tiny 600-square-foot condo, but it cuts my living expenses to almost nothing and is a killer location for everything I love to do (MTB, ski, run, live in a great, vibrant community with opportunities to volunteer/be of service).  I have a lot of family and friends in the Upper Valley so that was an easy choice and also I got insanely lucky, frankly, with a good housing situation right on Mt. Ascutney. 

Really rooting for Magic to succeed, and it does seem like they have the cash and are focusing on snowmaking, which unfortunately you just need to do these days in New England. I'm not a good enough skier for 75% of their terrain, but also I don't guess you get better by sticking to Okemo's groomers. Magic is on the Freedom Pass, which comes with a lot of flexibility as well, so it seemed like a good bet to get on their cheaper "blackout" pass since I don't care about skiing on holidays anyway and it will get me out and exploring local hills.

Moe, how much time do you spend in VT vs. PA?