Magic Mountain 3/29

SallyCat

13 hours ago, SallyCat said:

Moving to Brownsville next month; just a tiny 600-square-foot condo, but it cuts my living expenses to almost nothing and is a killer location for everything I love to do (MTB, ski, run, live in a great, vibrant community with opportunities to volunteer/be of service).  I have a lot of family and friends in the Upper Valley so that was an easy choice and also I got insanely lucky, frankly, with a good housing situation right on Mt. Ascutney. 

Really rooting for Magic to succeed, and it does seem like they have the cash and are focusing on snowmaking, which unfortunately you just need to do these days in New England. I'm not a good enough skier for 75% of their terrain, but also I don't guess you get better by sticking to Okemo's groomers. Magic is on the Freedom Pass, which comes with a lot of flexibility as well, so it seemed like a good bet to get on their cheaper "blackout" pass since I don't care about skiing on holidays anyway and it will get me out and exploring local hills.

Moe, how much time do you spend in VT vs. PA? 

It's open ended. Lately, a month or more in VT, then back in PA for a few weeks. Depends on what's going on. I'm planning on going back on the 13th for at least a coupla weeks to ski and start rehabbing the kitchen. Mostly moving stuff out of the cabinets, taking some more measurements, maybe start taking out the old cabinets, doing some electrical work and figuring out the plumbing for the new stuff. I plan to spend most of the spring and summer up there. Congrats on the move to VT!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

SallyCat you forgot to add 3/31 to your stats at Blue!!!  

That is some Jedi-level attention to detail!  Thanks! I was surprised at how sad I was to know it was my last day. 

Will hit the bike park a few times in May before I depart PA for good. 

Okemo still has great snow coverage but they're shutting down everything except what you can ski off the Sunburst Six chair. Major bummer.  Killington shut down Bear Mountain and Ramshead but still has a ton open. It snowed today and the temps have not been spring-like at all yet! There's a warm-up coming, but it's bringing a lot of rain, so I'm not sure when I'll get to ski next. Sunday for sure. Family obligations and real estate stuff until then. 

Oh, Suicide Six is opening a lift-served bike park this summer. I have a free pass; will be fun to check it out. 

• Like 5

That is some Jedi-level attention to detail!  Thanks! I was surprised at how sad I was to know it was my last day. 
Okemo still has great snow coverage but they're shutting down everything except what you can ski off the Sunburst Six chair. Major bummer.  Killington shut down Bear Mountain and Ramshead but still has a ton open. It snowed today and the temps have not been spring-like at all yet! There's a warm-up coming, but it's bringing a lot of rain, so I'm not sure when I'll get to ski next. Sunday for sure. Family obligations and real estate stuff until then. 
Oh, Suicide Six is opening a lift-served bike park this summer. I have a free pass; will be fun to check it out. 

Rain man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 4/10/2018 at 8:24 PM, SallyCat said:

Thanks SallyCat. Where are you skiing Sunday?  Doesn’t look like the blue bike park opens until may 19th. 

Sunday's forecast is for freezing rain and flaming meteors or someting equally hideous.  I'm gonna ski tomorrow if I can in the morning before I have to run home and let Comcast into my life.

Celebrating my Vermont residency with some Galactica.

IMG_4405.thumb.JPG.c35b8b10c9ec50c6726319b704220f18.JPG

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Sunday's forecast is for freezing rain and flaming meteors or someting equally hideous.  I'm gonna ski tomorrow if I can in the morning before I have to run home and let Comcast into my life.

Celebrating my Vermont residency with some Galactica.

IMG_4405.thumb.JPG.c35b8b10c9ec50c6726319b704220f18.JPG

Try that gose. 

• Sad 1

I've been trying to get to magic mtn. for three years.... Every time I book something, the weather blows it up.  This year was oh so close....Feb. weather ruined everything, but we were booked into a place in manchester for Pres. weekend.  Skied groomers at Okemo one day, then caught a surprise 5-6"....not quite enough to open the goods at Magic....so close...so we hit Bromly instead - which was a blast with that snow.  That seemed to have been the start of the recovery though...

Then, i think it was first weekend in March - went up and burned an extra MRG ticket with one daughter....thought we could squeeze the next day in at Magic, but her school schedule wouldn't allow it....

So, so close....

Maybe next year!

• 3 months later...

Magic is awesome. I went there back in 2010 on a huge powder day. That storm dumped over 100” in the Catskills, but it switched over further east. Super wet and sloppy snow. Snowing so hard and so deep that it was near impossible to move. Afroman7 hurt himself and we had to bail after a run or two to take I’m to the hospital. I’ve been wanting to get back, but having a home base in N Central VT doesn’t make it easy.

They are finishing the Green Lift this year and hoping to potentially have something open by Thanksgiving. They also bought a quad from Stratton that was being replaced and are replacing the Black Lift with that.

• Like 1