Colorado Skifari 4/4-4/11...

10 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Ive never seen people park down the road. That place is getting way too crowded

It’s because they are on the one pass..anyway two pow days in a row will bring the hounds out. Tomorrow will be more low key. Somebody at copper yesterday said there’s 1/2 an acre of powder for each person..I’m so happy I didn’t have to deal with the ticket window today. I’m sure the line for tickets was epic. Once all the lifts are running people spread out and even at 11am every seat is taken in the mid mountain lodge...then lines get a little shorter.  Singles line isn’t that bad somebody complained there’s no singles line for the Pali double..aside from a pow day never much of a line there. Today was the most core Teton gravity esque crowd I’ve ever seen in Colorado...

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

4/9..Loveland..day five of six

Hey All,

I’m back from the fourth powder day in a row.  Friday was a rider of the storm day at ABasin with several inches new, Saturday was a foot+ new at Copper, yesterday was another foot new at ABasin and today was a foot new at Loveland. The drive to Loveland took a few extra minutes with 20 degree temperatures and h why snowfall at the Eisenhower tunnel.  I parked around the 6th row at Loveland a little before 8am..booted up,  bought ticket for $75 and got in line at chair 1.  A couple dozen people in front of me in line. Was cool seeing people getting face shots from the get go. 

I skied a random mainly untracked blue to the ptarmigan lift..snow was light and dry..yet still pretty beefy...managed untracked right under the ptarmigan lift down to chair 6 had some of the days best fresh skiers left of or chair 6 up chair 6 again and over to chair 9 which had recently opened I don’t think it opened until 930. I had deep untracked in the woods and two fresh runs in a row right under the lift. The flats at the top scared people off but I had plenty of momentum and scored some face shots right under the lift then some nice patches of fresh lower down. So good had to repeat I would have done it a third time but by then it was pretty tracked out so had to start exploring. 

I made my way back to the middle some traverses and some untracked..only real nasty skiing was one pow section over some moguls and I sent a mini cliff without even barely realizing it.  Made my way back to chair one and guy I was riding it just arrived around 11 and he said it looked incredible pointing at the chowder under the lift. I’m too much of a pow hound I needed those early fresh runs..

i did did a couple hot laps off chair one..skied the same woods twice because there was so much fresh..even skied up areas skied a lot nicer than the heavier snow or previous days. It was in the teens up high and 20s low..alternating between snow and sunshine and very windy above tree line.  Fourth pow day in a row and my legs were screaming around lunchtime so I skied back to my car. Smoked for the fifth or six time of the day then drove down to Silverthorne and got Wendy’s..I’m tired..probably take a nap..go to Murphy’s a final time tonight.  Tomorrow either ski ABasin or Loveland then drive down into Denver where the expected high temperature is 72 degrees pretty nuts considering I’ve needed to use my ice scrapper and snow brush 4 days in a row.  

CBA53113-2788-433B-8CBF-4A85E3C6ADB7.jpeg

71ECE95A-9477-4B27-8A7B-A420B54D3F74.jpeg

963DBC68-F204-4DCF-ABE6-4699FAF62E52.jpeg

391DBF8D-51DF-44D0-AFB3-BF129E9AE93B.jpeg

DC336BD6-6A0D-4600-A35F-B061BB6AD153.jpeg

• Like 8

It seems to be snowing non-stop for you. Did you just luck out or is it more of a rule in that area?? Also, looking at the last but one picture... I can't imagine anyone could have any real fun skiing it. So assuming that it doesn't snow tomorrow, where would you ski? On groomers? Do they groom all trails at Loveland in between snow storms? Right now they say it's about 20% groomed, the rest is like that pic. So if they don't groom it all and keep a good share of trails in its "natural state" won't you be screwed then?

• Thanks 1

Anytime you get powder days on ski trips is luck...they groom the main blue and green trails at Loveland everyday..the day after a powder day I’ll likely ski a combination of groomers, trees and ungroomed terrain.  I’ll likely be on my shiros again due to the chop.  Why would I be screwed if the trails are their natural state..I’m not a one trick pony.  Thanks for the questions Eaf they were fun to answer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

If I hadn’t have met Eaf I would have thought he was a troll.  

Nah, those were serious question. I've already said a few times that I've never skied West, and look at conditions like those on the last but one pic as not very pleasant to ski. I realize that skiing deep snow requires a different technique that skiing groomers, and I obviously lack it. Still even with my limited understanding of powder skiing that pic is neither a groomer nor a uniform powder, so skiing it is not gonna be fun from any point of view. I think. For I bet that the snow is wet, and it will form a crust overnight. So when I said that you're gonna be screwed, I meant that this patch tomorrow will be neither pleasantly powderish nor supportive as a groomer would be. And you'll end up either searching for untracked stuff or will be funneled into a groomer with everybody else on it.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, eaf said:

Nah, those were serious question. I've already said a few times that I've never skied West, and look at conditions like those on the last but one pic as not very pleasant to ski. I realize that skiing deep snow requires a different technique that skiing groomers, and I obviously lack it. Still even with my limited understanding of powder skiing that pic is neither a groomer nor a uniform powder, so skiing it is not gonna be fun from any point of view. I think. For I bet that the snow is wet, and it will form a crust overnight. So when I said that you're gonna be screwed, I meant that this patch tomorrow will be neither pleasantly powderish nor supportive as a groomer would be. And you'll end up either searching for untracked stuff or will be funneled into a groomer with everybody else on it.

Snow changes...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Snow changes...

In what way?

IDK, I told once to AtomicJeff that I was gonna try going West next year, and now that the prices of the next year passes are on the verge of going up, I'm trying to decide whether to go to Italy again or really get an MCP and check out Alta/Snowbird/Snowbasin or Squaw/Mammoth. Not sure if I'll like that powdery springy kind of skiing, and I'll probably have only one week off work to do it anyway. Kinda hate resort prices in the US (and resort lodging too for that matter), they're sky high.

16 minutes ago, eaf said:

Ha, interestingly I'll be in Loveland on its closing day on 05/06 and Abasin on 05/11-12, but I bet it's gonna be totally different from what you're seeing now.

It could potentially snow then..odds are you’ll be in the typical spring cycle where it begins as refrozen hardpack in the morning before transitioning to corn snow and then mashed potatoes.  

• Like 1