Help Me Choose a VT Vehicle!

SallyCat

Before winter arrives I'm going to need a new car. My current '09 VW Jetta Wagon has been a trooper, but even with bomber snow tires I often spin out on hills of even moderate grade. It also has terrible ground clearance, which is a significant issue around here. Here's what I'm currently thinking of:

1. Tacoma 4x4. Great ground clearance, can throw bikes in the back, etc Lousy mileage, though?

2. Toyota Rav4: Very popular up here. Reliable, safe, decent-looking. The sensible choice?

3. Subaru Forester. A classic choice, but I know some people who have had bad experiences with reliability and maintenance costs. 

4. Something else I'm missing?

16 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

Just get a Subaru Outback. Subaru has the best all wheel drive system and I don't anyone who's had maintenance problems with Subaru's. I've had 3 and put over 200k miles on each with mainly basic maintenance.

You’ve driven over 600k miles total??  Wow just wow. You must have a long commute. 

3 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

I like my Honda CRV.However, its  a real pain trying to fit a bike in the back. I have s hitch and bike rack I use. Gets around 24 mpg highway. It's 2007, so maybe newer ones more efficient. 

That's a big issue, too. Since Honda stopped making the Element and so many cars are aerodynamic/bullet-shaped now, it seems tricky to find one that will hold a bike upright w/ front wheel off, which is what I'd love to be able to do. 

1 hour ago, trackbiker said:

Just get a Subaru Outback. Subaru has the best all wheel drive system and I don't anyone who's had maintenance problems with Subaru's. I've had 3 and put over 200k miles on each with mainly basic maintenance.

Forester is cheaper and has more storage capacity.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eaf said:

I would try to avoid anything that has CVT in it. Which eliminates CRV, RAV4 hybrid and even Subaru, unless you import a stick from Canada.

What’s wrong with CVT?  I thought it makes automatic transmission vehicles more fuel efficient.  Eaf have fun in Colorado and post a report.